Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
You aren't holding it right, iPhone 5 edition

I have a 32 Gb ATT iPhone 5 I purchased new in November 2012. Currently running IOS 6.1.2. I use it primarily as a phone, and in numerous circumstances, as a GPS. I live in a large metroplex area with lots of good coverage.

For the last couple of months, when using the phone as a GPS, I have been getting a message across the top of my screen in red letters indicating that the phone isn't able connect to the GPS/GPS signal.

As I stated earlier, I have been struggling with this for a couple of months, and even contemplating the purchase of a new iPhone, as GPS support is pretty important to me.

Anyway, last week on a long, out of town trip, I ultimately discovered that I can pretty much eliminate my GPS issues if I am not holding the phone in my hands. And by that, I mean that I can have the phone plugged into my car's charging system, and pick up the phone by the cable, and that is OK. It seems that physical touch of the phone is what is causing my GPS issues.

I'm not necessarily looking for a resolution or a fix from anyone on this, but I am curious if anyone else has encountered this with an iPhone 5?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No. Never had this happen. Sprint, iPhone 5, 64GB.

You probably have a hardware issue. Take it in to Apple and have them check it. The check is free and at the very least you'd know what's going on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.