Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I don't get how saying that it's a software issue is somehow defending Apple. Whether it's because of a lack of RAM or a software bug, they're both Apple's fault, no?

Because there are 2 ways for a problem go away, fix it or compensate for it. People were defending apple decision for doing neither. Whatever caused the problem is second to the fact, that a year later RAM fixed it. When you defend Apples decision to only use 1 GB of RAM then you are defending Apples stupidity.

----------

You sound like the people that don't have a problem with 1 gb. Because the problem no longer effects you it's not a problem and no one has the problem right?

2 gb helps but does not fix the problem.

Let me guess, iOS is perfectly optimized for 2 gb of RAM?

I don't think he would claim that iOS or any other OS has ever been perfectly optimized. Sometimes increasing specs is the cheapest most cost effective solution to a problem.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Because there are 2 ways for a problem go away, fix it or compensate for it. People were defending apple decision for doing neither. Whatever caused the problem is second to the fact, that a year later RAM fixed it. When you defend Apples decision to only use 1 GB of RAM then you are defending Apples stupidity.

RAM did not fix it. They just raised the ceiling despite the flood. Without addressing this issue further (assuming it can even be addressed) we'll be having this discussion again in a couple years.

Are you going to be so quick to maintain that stance when the iOS device ONLY have 2 gb of RAM?

It's good enough for the time being so whatever. I've always been an advocate for more RAM when it comes to apps reloading but WebKit issues need to be addressed on there own. Just because an issue is masked doesn't mean it shouldn't be addressed.

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
I am not one to complain. I owned the Iphone 4, then 5. That jump was super fantastic, faster, better screen, similar price point

I now have the 6 plus and to be absolutely honest. It feels a step sideways.

why is the RAM the same???

Huge annoying point is multiple tabs having to refresh because of the memory management, videos take a while before playing (never had this issue on the iphone 5), apps crashing etc

I can't find one area (apart from camera and screen size) that this betters the old phone?

Have sold so many iphones by recommendations over the years, I find myself telling all my friends and family. Get an LG or HTC

Only if they insist on Apple that I say, sure, get one!

Before using memory intensive apps, I use 'Boost', a stand-alone in-app (DL from within) the 'Battery Doctor' app. Boost frees up 60% of the 6+ RAM on the fly. There are other recommendations for memory reconstitution as well, within Battery Doctor.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Wow some people are still saying this is software. This blind fanboyism is absolutely pathetic. It's clearly hardware, even if they could somehow optimize safari a little better it won't make a big difference because you only have one ******* gigabyte of ram. The ipad with 2gb of ram is, as expected, FAR FAR better in terms of keeping tabs saved to ram and apps saved to ram, and anyone should have seen that, and now everyone can. The fact that people are still defending apple and saying "I-I-I-it's software" is sad.

It's fanish to point out a problem? Wow. That's new.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
RAM did not fix it. They just raised the ceiling despite the flood. Without addressing this issue further (assuming it can even be addressed) we'll be having this discussion again in a couple years.

Are you going to be so quick to maintain that stance when the iOS device ONLY have 2 gb of RAM?

It's good enough for the time being so whatever. I've always been an advocate for more RAM when it comes to apps reloading but WebKit issues need to be addressed on there own. Just because an issue is masked doesn't mean it shouldn't be addressed.

I'm sure has webkit has bearing on this issue just like all software ever made could be optimized more. If the root cause is webkit then in a few years if this problem comes back, I would expect one of 2 thing. Optimize the software or add more RAM. I do not expect Apple to release a product which does not address the issue.

benfica88

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Not a very productive comment now is it?

My contention is that there's a coding issue with WebKit. A memory hole.

Now, care to insult me again?

Because even with evidence in front of you still can't face the reality. It's not just webkit -the memory issues effects multiple apps. There is no memory leak!

But hey, how does that juice taste?

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Because even with evidence in front of you still can't face the reality. It's not just webkit -the memory issues effects multiple apps. There is no memory leak!

But hey, how does that juice taste?

Adding an exclamation point to your assertion doesn't actually constitute evidence that you're right.

Throwing more RAM at the problem may mask it, but I don't see any evidence that it's fixed. What I do see is people jumping the gun to say it's fixed before the device is even in many hands. Let's wait until there are a significant number of iPad Air 2s sold and see what the real world performance is first.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
i can guarantee you right now, right here that iPad air 2 will reload tabs as well. i actually came to appreciate it, cause i don't have to hit reload lol. the only time i leave tabs open is when i'm waiting for a notification on the site etc etc so its nice to hit it and see the new message or something (my internet is fast enough so it's just a second or two)

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
You sound like the people that don't have a problem with 1 gb. Because the problem no longer effects you it's not a problem and no one has the problem right?

2 gb helps but does not fix the problem.

Let me guess, iOS is perfectly optimized for 2 gb of RAM?

How would you know if 2Gb would not fix the problem since no iPhone has 2GB?

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Because we're talking about the 2gig equipped iPad Air 2.
ah. I returned my 6+. My 6+ had lag when I was scrolling down stories on the MLB app. My 5S never had lag on the MLB app.

my 6+ also had lag with choppiness in safari. Ive owned every iPhone since launch day 2007. In my opinion, the 6+ is not ready to be released.

Apple should have released it once apps were updated, made the dumb bezels smaller as well. Its kind of funny a 5.5 inch phone is almost as tall as the new 6.2 inch Nexus 6 lol.

I know its bc of Touch ID but still. Using my trusty old JB 5S again until Sept 2016 6S.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
ah. I returned my 6+. My 6+ had lag when I was scrolling down stories on the MLB app. My 5S never had lag on the MLB app.

my 6+ also had lag with choppiness in safari. Ive owned every iPhone since launch day 2007. In my opinion, the 6+ is not ready to be released.

Apple should have released it once apps were updated, made the dumb bezels smaller as well. Its kind of funny a 5.5 inch phone is almost as tall as the new 6.2 inch Nexus 6 lol.

I know its bc of Touch ID but still. Using my trusty old JB 5S again until Sept 2016 6S.

You returned it because of lag?? Your loss. In my experience that was fixed with 8.1.

DiggityBiggity

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2014
New York Metro
What's "funny", is without these posts bringing this issue to my attention I would have never questioned the RAM or memory management on my iOS device. I always found them to perform smoothly enough and quick enough. Now that this has been brought to my attention, I get relatively "angry" when I'm on my iPad AIR playing Star Wars Commander, I switch to my messages for a brief moment and then realize I have to reload Star Wars Commander.

In the grand scheme of things, the device is still amazingly fast, so it's not really the end of the world... but I can't help but think if it had even 1.5GB of RAM, it could avoid this issue.

I don't know enough WebKIT to know if this is a software vs. hardware issue... but from my limited understanding of computers, I think this has a little to do with both.

At the end of the day however, I'm more than ok with sacrificing the loss of RAM as opposed to having to use a dreadful Android or Windows device. iOS is clearly the better choice for me.

benfica88

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
What's "funny", is without these posts bringing this issue to my attention I would have never questioned the RAM or memory management on my iOS device. I always found them to perform smoothly enough and quick enough. Now that this has been brought to my attention, I get relatively "angry" when I'm on my iPad AIR playing Star Wars Commander, I switch to my messages for a brief moment and then realize I have to reload Star Wars Commander.

In the grand scheme of things, the device is still amazingly fast, so it's not really the end of the world... but I can't help but think if it had even 1.5GB of RAM, it could avoid this issue.

I don't know enough WebKIT to know if this is a software vs. hardware issue... but from my limited understanding of computers, I think this has a little to do with both.

At the end of the day however, I'm more than ok with sacrificing the loss of RAM as opposed to having to use a dreadful Android or Windows device. iOS is clearly the better choice for me.

Exactly, this is a concise example of what is happening. Open up any game that uses in the range of 200-300MB of RAM switch to an app and switch back. Most likely the game will reload.
iOS has grown to a huge and complex monster, if you observe the built-in processes they are always swinging in and out - add the fact that Facebook process and others are always running (can be observed as well with apps) and iOS 7/8 is very constrained with 1GB of ram. This is even worse coupled with the fact of code still using 32/64 bit resources and compounded with the increase in resolution for the 6's.
Maybe that's why Apple is forcing people to go strictly 64-bit next year, maybe that will help.
But what I can't fathom is why people can't understand that 1GB of RAM is currently not enough. But hey, if you like your apps to constantly reload and waste CPU and RAM swapping in and out thsu wasting more battery then I guess this is your domain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.