Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
So earlier this week, I was given a 2006 Xserve, and for the life of me I cannot insert the three front drives back into their bays. They came full with 3 x 80GB stock drives which I replaced with 3 x 500GB drives, and now that I yanked them out, I can't get them back in. From what I can tell, there is a small metal clasp right before the SCSI port that seems like it locks the drive in. However, it's down, not up, and I can't force the drive in. What am I doing incorrectly? I keep thinking there's a lever or switch to raise the metal clasp, but I can't find anything. Pretty embarrassing, I know, but I can't figure it out. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks.
-N

EDIT:

It appears that there is an Allen key that unlocks the drive bays. Thanks.

EDIT 2:

For anyone wondering, on the front of a 2006 Xserve, there is a little torx/Allen hole that locks and unlocks both the hard drive bays and the server shell. It actually raises and lowers a few pins that prevent the hard drives from being removed and the shell from coming off. Conversely, you cannot insert drives or put the lid back ON when it is locked.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.