Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Now that Yosemite and iOS 8 are bringing us continuity and handoff, Apple has also given us another problem.

If I get a phone call on my iPhone, I hear a custom ringtone - both the custom "default" ringtone, and custom specific ringtones for individual contacts. However, Facetime (and Facetime Audio) have their own set of ringtones, and no way to add custom ringtones (at least not as far as I have seen).

So now when I get a call, my iPhone sounds the custom ringtone and my rMBP plays another.

Has anyone discovered how to change the ringtones in Yosemite to allow custom ringtones for phone calls?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
No, I can't seem to set a ringtone. Heck Apple still hasn't made a on-screen keypad!

At least the compute recognized keyboard entries, but it's a hassle when my Apple keyboards don't have numpads.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Have you seen this? It’s an add-on keypad dialer for Yosemite.

http://continuitykeypad.co/

screen-shot-2014-07-17-at-12-17-38-pm.png

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Does anyone know if you are already on a call on your iPhone how to handoff the call to your Mac and vice versa if you are using your Mac for a call and need to leave how to send it back to the phone?

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Does anyone know if you are already on a call on your iPhone how to handoff the call to your Mac and vice versa if you are using your Mac for a call and need to leave how to send it back to the phone?

if you're talking on a mac and need to go you click the green bar on iPhone and the call transfers to iPhone. i believe you can't do the same vice versa though

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
if you're talking on a mac and need to go you click the green bar on iPhone and the call transfers to iPhone. i believe you can't do the same vice versa though

That's a shame. Sometimes you answer the call instinctively on the phone or don't have time to get it answered on the computer. But you still want the call through there.

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
The thing is, this is possible through Bluetooth - my car rings with my phone's ringtone whatever that may be so it should be easy to set it to "same as phone". But, Apple and Bluetooth have a rocky relationship at best I guess.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I really want what the OP has said, using the custom ringtones that I have set for individual contacts on my iPhone, changing "default" ringtone and I would really like a silent or no ringtone setting.

HowieIsaacks

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
Addison, TX
Now that Yosemite and iOS 8 are bringing us continuity and handoff, Apple has also given us another problem.

If I get a phone call on my iPhone, I hear a custom ringtone - both the custom "default" ringtone, and custom specific ringtones for individual contacts. However, Facetime (and Facetime Audio) have their own set of ringtones, and no way to add custom ringtones (at least not as far as I have seen).

So now when I get a call, my iPhone sounds the custom ringtone and my rMBP plays another.

Has anyone discovered how to change the ringtones in Yosemite to allow custom ringtones for phone calls?

You can find the ringtones here:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ToneLibrary.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Ringtones/

Merkyworks

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
I can get calls to handoff from my phone to my MBP but the custom ringtone that plays on my phone doesn't play on the MBP, the default ring is what plays on the MBP.

I have custom ringtones on my MBP and I sync them with my iPhone via iTunes. In contacts on my iPhone I then setup custom ringtones for certain people, contacts are sync'd via icloud with my MBP. So why is it that when I look at the contacts on my MBP it shows the ringtone for contacts as default and not the custom one I have seton my iPhone?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
How to set a custom FaceTime Ringtone...

Ok, I have got my MBP FaceTime to play a custom ringtone as on my iPhone. There are a couple of big limitations though:

It plays a ringtone set in FaceTime on the MBP, it is NOT inheriting the ringtone from the iPhone or playing the ringtone audio from the iPhone - so if you have many different ringtones on your iPhone this isn't a workable method but if you just want the same distinctive tone via your MBP FaceTime then it works.

You have to re-use the audio file for one of the standard ringtones in FaceTime, e.g. I substituted my file for the Harp standard.

How-to:

1. Obtain your ringtone, I used a purchased Hawaii 5-0 theme tune, it came in .mp3
2. Convert it to an "apple ringtone" format, I used Music Converter Pro to do it, that gives you a .m4r file
3. Save the file as Harp.m4r
4. Copy the file to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ToneLibrary.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Ringtones/
5. Go to FaceTime, in Preferences select the Classic/Harp ringtone and you should hear your custom tone play

There is probably a way to add a new ringtone rather than have to replace an existing one, and it will be easily overwritten by an update or re-install as a result.

Apple's statement here: https://www.apple.com/osx/continuity/

"You’ll also hear a ringtone — the same ringtone you have for that person on your iPhone"

At the moment I think refers if your contacts are synced between the iPhone and MBP, then FaceTime will use the same standard ringtone as the iPhone uses, they haven't AFAIK given us a method for custom ringtones to sync or be used by FaceTime on the Mac....

Edit: Just found I'm not the first to find this method but it seems no-one has got a custom file recognised by FaceTime yet...

Last edited:

jacobg550

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
custom ringtone yosemite

Ok so i was playing round with this my self and if you navigate to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ToneLibrary.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Ringtones/
(cmd, shift g in finder) and paste a ringtone (convert to AAC using itines and change extension to .m4r) and paste the ringtone. It wouldn't show up in feature setting but if you pick one you done like, delete it and rename your ringtone with the same name (I used Apex) it should work perfectly.

Hope this helps someone

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Don't you just set the ringtone in the Contacts app? Contact > Ringtone - and choose from the list ?

chakrilogin

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2014
simonsi's method works perfectly

Finally my mac and iPhone are at peace with each other. Thanks to simonsi and jacobg550.

Cheers!!

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Yes but if you have installed a custom ringtone on your phone via iTunes that isnt in the list in Facetime on your Mac...

Well maybe you could just put your custom ringtones into that folder in the correct format. But I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it would actually recognise and play them..

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Well maybe you could just put your custom ringtones into that folder in the correct format. But I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it would actually recognise and play them..

Yeah....if you read the posts you will see that doesn't work....:rolleyes:

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
If you have the same ringtones set to the same contacts on both types of device, it does work. It doesn't sync, but it works. :rolleyes:

Yes, we know that, this is for a custom ringtone (i.e. not a standard ringtone)

Note the thread title.

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Yes, we know that, this is for a custom ringtone (i.e. not a standard ringtone)

Note the thread title.

And I meant just place your custom ringtone in the Mac ringtone folder, and select that for your contact.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
And I meant just place your custom ringtone in the Mac ringtone folder, and select that for your contact.

Post #21 "it doesn't work" - unless you have actually tried it and found a way, in which case please share?

You firmly stated it does work (although appeared to be referring to the standard tones), at this time no-one on this thread has found a way to load a custom tone except by naming the file to match one in the standard list.

Reactions: janiecejary
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.