Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hec983

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
I been checking stocknow for a couple of weeks for a IP6 plu SG. All the ones pop out with plenty of stock are gold's. Is this a plot by apple?? Creating demand and restocking the least wanted color to get rid of them so customer that cant wait will jumo and buy the gold!! They know the most desired is SG and then Silver and those hardly appear.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
If the space gray is the most desired then it would make sense that it is the hardest to find. Doesn't sound like a conspiracy to me.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I been checking stocknow for a couple of weeks for a IP6 plu SG. All the ones pop out with plenty of stock are gold's. Is this a plot by apple?? Creating demand and restocking the least wanted color to get rid of them so customer that cant wait will jumo and buy the gold!! They know the most desired is SG and then Silver and those hardly appear.

It could be that the same places also had other colors in stock but, by the time you checked, they were gone?

Hec983

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Iphone 6 Plus Plot!!!

If the space gray is the most desired then it would make sense that it is the hardest to find. Doesn't sound like a conspiracy to me.

I talked to a friend who works at the apple store. He told me when they get a space gray is only 1 or 2 at the most!!!! Gold one they get 10-15 units.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Yep, they always plot to make way more of the phones nobody wants so they can get rid of them instead of making the ones that everyone wants :rolleyes:

Hec983

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Yep, they always plot to make way more of the phones nobody wants so they can get rid of them instead of making the ones that everyone wants :rolleyes:

Not really the probaly though that gold was gonna me a more desired color like it was with the 5s but that was not the case.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I guess I was lucky. Last week friday, the Apple store at my area had received a big batch, but they didn't have SG available. So I went with Silver. Next day, I went back to Apple store, just to see what they had in stock, and they did had SG, so I returned my silver and exchanged for Space Gray.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Not really the probaly though that gold was gonna me a more desired color like it was with the 5s but that was not the case.

Nah man these corporations spend Billions in market research and analysis. They aren't just producing colors willy nilly... They know which colors are going to be more in demand... Plus they've already released iphone's with these 3 colors so they know what the market trends are.

And gold was not the more desired color with the 5S... not sure where you got that from.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Good catch, OP.

Attachments

• conspiracy.jpg
    conspiracy.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 57

Scott1012

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
New York City
I love the gold IP6. Put a blue leather case from Apple on it and you got one good looking phone.

I was thinking about getting the brown or blue leather case for my gold 6 plus but then it hides the gold backing! I don't see the point so I got a clear case instead. Previously had space greys and wanted a change.

For the other poster, I don't think that gold is the least desirable. In NY, i always see either space grey and silver every now and then but NEVER see the gold 6 plus!

I guess it depends on your location as to what comes in. If it was a plot, they certainly would include the biggest market in the USA (NY) as part of their plot:D

imnjs

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Dallas, TX
I was thinking about getting the brown or blue leather case for my gold 6 plus but then it hides the gold backing! I don't see the point so I got a clear case instead. Previously had space greys and wanted a change.

I had the Case Mate Naked Tough on my phone before I got the leather one, which is an awesome case but the silver buttons threw me off. I really only wanted the gold iPhone for the gold ring, as silly as that may sound, lol.

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill

I question your aesthetics, sir. I finally saw a space grey in the store and they might as well have called it Dingy Silver.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
How do you know that they aren't first directing most of production to online orders, then secondarily filling the retail channel out of what's left from each day's production?

Since SG and Silver seem to be the most desired, it'd make sense that online order demand would be highest for those and thus fewer make it to retail. If gold demand is lower, then more of each days production would head to the retail channel.

As for "why not just make more SG" I'm not sure an aluminum anodizing production line can be changed very quickly. Same for whatever production makes the white parts.

I'm just guessing at something logical that fits the facts. Of course I'm assuming Apple's trying to get as many phones in people's hands as they can, as the ideas of "don't sell product so you can increase demand" are kind of silly since the whole point is to make money -- which you can't do if you're not selling product. :D

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
this wouldn't surprise me. those sales CEO's have to think of tactics to make us go crazy for apple. HA

Gryfter

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
funny, I thought the Gold is the more rare, esp the 6+ Gold with 64gigs...

it could be location dependent... here in NY, there are tons of SGs around but Gold has been rare the past 2-3 weeks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.