Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
I have the Asus VN248H monitor which includes built in speakers. My computer is relatively old (4-6 years) and so my computer doesn't come with HDMI. It does come with one VGA and one DVI-D. Since I am using my second monitor to connect via VGA, I used a DVI-to-HDMI to connect my Asus monitor to my computer. I connected my 3.5mm jack at both ends (tower and monitor) but I get no sound.

I experimented a bit and decided to see if using VGA would give me the same results (in case I had a faulty monitor). It didn't and when my Asus monitor is connected, I do get sound. I'm deciding whether I should just give in and buy a DVI-VGA adapter or an HDMI to VGA adapter (the Asus is my primary monitor, the secondary monitor doesn't come with speakers).

But before I purchase anything, I wanted to make sure if there is anything I can do that might work before going to VGA. I did contact ASUS tech support, but they just gave me an RMA.

My computer specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33Ghz
NVidia GeForce 9300GE

To summarize:
HDMI + 3.5mm audio in = no sound
VGA + 3.5 mm audio in = sound

I want to get HDMI + 3.5mm audio in to give me sound.

Thank you.

MacSE87

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
I have the Asus VN248H monitor which includes built in speakers. [...]

To summarize:
HDMI + 3.5mm audio in = no sound
VGA + 3.5 mm audio in = sound

I want to get HDMI + 3.5mm audio in to give me sound.

Hi shyam09:

See Note at bottom (comparing manuals, i think your monitor probably does not support the feature you want).

I'm just a consumer like yourself. My understanding is that the HDMI standard has a digital audio + a digital video component to the signals it carries. The HDMI standard supports DVI-D video signals. However DVI-D is *video only* so when you use an adapter to convert the connection to HDMI, only the video signals are present; there is no audio signal to the. You probably know this, and that's why you're using the 3.5mm audio cable to send the audio over.

I don't have the exact monitor you have, but I also recently purchased an ASUS monitor with speakers. My understanding from reading the various forums and manual/online docs for my monitor is that when you use the HDMI port to send the audio over to the monitor, it deactivates the 3.5mm audio-in port; this is to prevent the confusion of having two audio sources. (The only control you have on audio is *volume* under set-up in the on-screen menu; there's no way to pick/switch an audio source.)

I think basically the issue you're having is that when HDMI is used, the monitor automatically switches to the audio component of the HDMI signals; since the original DVI-D signals never contained any audio, the monitor speakers plays silence.

I'm thinking this is probably working the way ASUS designed/intended…

(I don't have a DVI to HDMI converter to try the exact problem you're having, so I can't confirm your problem. I've tested my monitor and I know the follow works as intended/described in the manual:

HDMI only = video + sound
DVI-D + 3.5mm = video + sound
VGA + 3.5mm = video + sound)

I did contact ASUS tech support, but they just gave me an RMA.

Do you have an HDMI source that has sound? So you can check that the HDMI ports on your monitor are working; not that this will change anything for you.

Concerning the RMA are they saying it's broken and they'll send you a new one that works as you think it should; or they're saying it's not broken and they'll return your money? Make sure they're not making you pay for any of the shipping, in case nothing is actually "broken" and the replacement does the same thing.

I called the ASUS Support people for something else; and they were okay for general questions. When you get to specifics and slightly more detailed questions about how things should work, they get stumped. I asked them whether the audio should cut off when the monitor goes in to sleep mode; one said yes it should, the other said no. (I have DVI or VGA + 3.5mm audio - and I like to have the monitor sleep while music or audiobook continues to play; doesn't seem to work… Called them to see if this is how it suppose to work or if something is broken. I still don't have an answer… Let me know if this happens on your ASUS monitor too!) So not entirely satisfactory. :\

Hope this was slightly helpful; good luck.

--
Here's the link to the ASUS Manual for your monitor in case you need it:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/LCD Monitors/ASUS_VN248_English.pdf

====
Addendum (the ASUS PB238Q possibly supports the feature you seek, don't see it in manual for your monitor):
====
(The section on Input Selection and Sound options for VN248 Manual page 3-4.)
(Compare the menu options to Sound section options for PB238Q Manual page 3-5.)

Here's a link to the PB238Q Manual in PDF if you want to look at the page I referenced:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/LCD Monitors/ASUS_PB238Q_UserGuide_English.pdf

I just looked at the manual for the ASUS PB238Q monitor and it does have an option to choose the source of the audio [Manual page 3-5]; Under OSD Sound:

"Source: Adjust audio source to “Line In” or “HDMI” (only available for HDMI input); Adjust audio source to “Line In” or “DisplayPort” (only available for DisplayPort input)."

I'm assuming "Line In" refers to the 3.5mm audio jack. I looked in the VN248 manual, and it looks that the OSD functions for your monitor does not have a similar option listed. So I'm guessing this is not supported on your monitor. I don't currently have a HDMI source, so I can't verify this.

Good luck!

Last edited:

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Hi shyam09:

Good luck!
Oh my god! Wow, thank you so much for that helpful post. I decided to just upgrade my GPU (since my current one is old and loud). I'm getting it tomorrow and it comes with an HDMI output, so I know I'll be good.

I can't thank you enough for writing such a lengthy post. I appreciate it a lot :)

MacSE87

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
I decided to just upgrade my GPU (since my current one is old and loud). I'm getting it tomorrow and it comes with an HDMI output, so I know I'll be good.

Very nice! If you get a chance to test your setup; see if you notice if the sound/speakers cut out when the monitor sleeps - or if the speakers continues to play sound when the monitor sleeps. I suspect it'll cut out with the HDMI-audio; but am most interested in what happens if you use VGA/DVI+3.5mm audio…

On my monitor using DVI-D+3.5mm audio and playng sound via iTunes, the sound cuts when the monitor enters sleep mode (I use a mouse hot corner to activate sleep when I test this). The monitor can't sleep (go into low power mode) and keep on playing music, audiobook, etc. TIA.

I can't thank you enough for writing such a lengthy post. I appreciate it a lot :)

:) Thank you for kind reply; great to be of some help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.