Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
I'm trying to track down a sound problem.

I'm finding in some recent Handbrake rips, some ...pops? hard to describe..every couple of moments there's a drop or a blank or a glitch (best I can think of) in the audio.

(described as blanks by 2 friends I sent the below sample to)

I found this checking the encodes on Beamer -> Apple TV -> Sony Receiver -> TV. I checked the file with VLC on the iMac, and they're there, so it's none of the set up beyond the file. I checked the original file I converted with Handbrake, so it's somewhere between Handbrake's conversion and the mac playback.

I'm using the Apple TV 3 preset.

I've seen it in several different files.
At least the sample file below has been played on 2 different macs and a Windows 7 desktop.

There's 2 pops in this audio clip. It's the 20th Century Fox fanfare, so you should hear them easily at about the 9-10 second mark and the 16-17 second mark.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2tyktbd0ohfgv8/sound.m4a
or
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/d2tyktbd0ohfgv8/sound.m4a?dl=0

(I used Quicktime to trim the big file, then exported to audio only to make the clip)
these are the settings...
FNnqTJ8.jpg

(Subler used for the top 2 pictures)

Can anyone suggest what's going on? This seems to be a new issue I'm running into.

(Handbrake Version 0.9.9 x86_64 (2013051800))

Last edited:

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
Ok, this file done in the same batch as the sampled one above doesn't seem to have the pop/blank problem..
0b7rdzv.jpg

The clear difference being the sound track of the original files, which despite playing with no issues in VLC, are converted differently by Handbrake.

Hmpt0UI.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.