Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SquareOne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I just reinstalled my Mac Mini server with Mavericks, however, I am not able to download a compatible server.app from the App Store.

In the App Store I can only find server.app 4.0 which is only compatible with Yosemite.

Can't find my purchased mavericks server.app under the 'purchased' tab either.

Any ideas?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi Everyone,

I just reinstalled my Mac Mini server with Mavericks, however, I am not able to download a compatible server.app from the App Store.

In the App Store I can only find server.app 4.0 which is only compatible with Yosemite.

Can't find my purchased mavericks server.app under the 'purchased' tab either.

Any ideas?

From what I have heard, you will have to call Apple.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I'd guess this is just some temporary App Store hiccup. I'd purchased and am running Mavericks Server, and as you have seen Mavericks Server isn't listed under purchases. However Lion Server is! And since Server was a recently updated to 3.2.2, it shows under Updates Installed in the Last 30 days, I can click on it and see the store page!

Anyhow, this just shows something Apple told me a couple years ago -- back up all your purchases. You cannot rely on them being re-downloadable even though Apple is now making an effort so that you (usually) can.

Reactions: SmilingSo

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
I'd guess this is just some temporary App Store hiccup. I'd purchased and am running Mavericks Server, and as you have seen Mavericks Server isn't listed under purchases. However Lion Server is! And since Server was a recently updated to 3.2.2, it shows under Updates Installed in the Last 30 days, I can click on it and see the store page!

Anyhow, this just shows something Apple told me a couple years ago -- back up all your purchases. You cannot rely on them being re-downloadable even though Apple is now making an effort so that you (usually) can.

I qualify for a free upgrade to Server 4 because of my recent purchase of a refurbished Mini Server. Would you recommend upgrading immediately or staying with Server 3.2.2 until some of the initial bugs get worked out?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I qualify for a free upgrade to Server 4 because of my recent purchase of a refurbished Mini Server. Would you recommend upgrading immediately or staying with Server 3.2.2 until some of the initial bugs get worked out?

OS X 10.10.0 and Server 4.0 -- Two point zero releases -- I'd wait a bit.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
If you have a dev account you can still get both Mavs and MavServer on the MAS.

You can get all the way back to Jaguar Server

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 10.55.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 10.55.10 PM.png
    194.1 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
It would be nice to hear from the OP if he got the problem resolved by calling Apple. I just find it strange that I can still download Mavericks, Lion, Mountain Lion, and Lion Server, but Mavericks Server and Mountain Lion Server are nowhere to be seen!

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles

I can tell you that using Yosemite + Server 4.0 for the purposes of an Xcode Server has been a total disaster. They have severe bugs with how they handle remote Git repositories, making it a total non-starter for anybody working outside of Github.

SquareOne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
It would be nice to hear from the OP if he got the problem resolved by calling Apple. I just find it strange that I can still download Mavericks, Lion, Mountain Lion, and Lion Server, but Mavericks Server and Mountain Lion Server are nowhere to be seen!

Has not been solved yet. I have contacted them and they enabled me do download the app again by going to the App Store --> Store --> Search for incomplete downloads (or whatever it may be in English). I could do that one, but if I try it on a different machine now it won't work.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Has not been solved yet. I have contacted them and they enabled me do download the app again by going to the App Store --> Store --> Search for incomplete downloads (or whatever it may be in English). I could do that one, but if I try it on a different machine now it won't work.

Make a copy of the downloaded server.app package and put it on the different machines, as well as save as your backup.

SquareOne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
Make a copy of the downloaded server.app package and put it on the different machines, as well as save as your backup.

Yes. That is true. However, via the App Store would be much easier.

Anyway. Which folders should I copy to transfer only the app and no settings or data? I assume only the server.app in the programs folder?

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
I just finished speaking with a representative from Apple's enterprise department. The gentleman was very cordial and confirmed that the App Store is not displaying OS X Server 3.2.2 because it has the same name as Server 4.x.x on the App Store, i.e. "OS X Server." According to the rep, Apple is currently working on a way to enable users to download 3.2.2 and also is preparing a KB (Knowledge Base) article.

The rep's advice was to simply back up or copy the Server 3.2.2 app to a thumb drive. If it needs to be reinstalled, it can be copied back to a computer with Mavericks (10.9) and it will reinstall itself (not sure if it will download needed files from the web when first opened after copy back from thumb drive--the rep wasn't clear).

Anyway, I hope this helps clarify the current situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.