Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
Verizon is telling me they cannot put a SIM in and activate my iPad Air 2 because the device is not being accepted in the system. Has anyone else ran into this today?

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
Verizon is telling me they cannot put a SIM in and activate my iPad Air 2 because the device is not being accepted in the system. Has anyone else ran into this today?

Perhaps the ESNs haven't been added to Verizon's database yet. The Apple website did promise you'll be able to activate any US iPad Air 2 on Verizon.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
ESN is definitely in. Picked up a cellular iPad, put in an already activated verizon sim and my verizon online shows the new iPad

My suggestion is to take your iPad to the Apple Store and they'll give you a verizon SIM card. Or call verizon and have them ship one to you

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Apple gave me a new sim in the store (which I was surprised at)' and I had Verizon move my current data plan to the new SIM and everything worked perfect.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Can I use my existing Sim from my Verizon IPad Air in the iPad Air 2?

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
ESN is definitely in. Picked up a cellular iPad, put in an already activated verizon sim and my verizon online shows the new iPad

My suggestion is to take your iPad to the Apple Store and they'll give you a verizon SIM card. Or call verizon and have them ship one to you

Not necessarily. How it worked with the iPad Air 1... If you had an activated Verizon SIM, it would work on another carrier's iPad Air. However, if you tried to activate new service on a non-Verizon iPad Air, Verizon would refuse since the device's ESN wasn't in their database.

av8rdude

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
How to activate an iPad 2 Air on Verizon

I got my brand new shiny iPad 2 Air this morning. I had suspended my iPad data plan (line of service) on Verizon when I gave my original Air to my adult son who lives in another state. I removed the Verizon nano sim before giving it to him so he could set up his own data plan on whatever carrier he wants.

Anyway, I called Verizon Customer Service to try to get my new iPad Air 2 activated under my old data plan. I still had the Apple nano sim installed. Verizon said they couldn't activate the iPad because the EMI number was not in their database yet. Hmmm...

Here's the solution. I removed the Apple nano sim and replaced it with the Verizon nano sim I had removed from my other iPad Air. Then I used iTunes to Restore the iPad Air 2. This is NOT restoring a previous backup, it's restoring the device itself. That's very important.

As soon as the iPad came back on after the Restore, it recognized Verizon and gave a normal indication of signal strength. I called Verizon Customer Service again and re-activated the line of service I had suspended when I gave my son my other iPad. Voila! Everything's good.

This procedure will work with a brand new Verizon nano sim as well. Any corporate Verizon store should give you one for free.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I bought the LTE version from the Apple store today, then went to the Verizon store and they activated it without any hassle

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
This is terrible, all of you seriously have to make two trips to get your iPad on Verizon?

You should be able to buy it from Apple and be done with it. I was questioning whether it would actually play out this way but it seems to be true.

hazeof3dd

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2005
I stopped by a Verizon store WITH my new iPad Air 2 this morning. At first he couldn't locate the IMEI number in the system. Then, he tried activating the SIM in his computer, then putting it in the iPad. After a quick restart, he was able to make it all work and just transferred my data plan from my old iPad to my new one. So if your person is having trouble that's how to make it work.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I got my brand new shiny iPad 2 Air this morning. I had suspended my iPad data plan (line of service) on Verizon when I gave my original Air to my adult son who lives in another state. I removed the Verizon nano sim before giving it to him so he could set up his own data plan on whatever carrier he wants.

Anyway, I called Verizon Customer Service to try to get my new iPad Air 2 activated under my old data plan. I still had the Apple nano sim installed. Verizon said they couldn't activate the iPad because the EMI number was not in their database yet. Hmmm...

Here's the solution. I removed the Apple nano sim and replaced it with the Verizon nano sim I had removed from my other iPad Air. Then I used iTunes to Restore the iPad Air 2. This is NOT restoring a previous backup, it's restoring the device itself. That's very important.

As soon as the iPad came back on after the Restore, it recognized Verizon and gave a normal indication of signal strength. I called Verizon Customer Service again and re-activated the line of service I had suspended when I gave my son my other iPad. Voila! Everything's good.

This procedure will work with a brand new Verizon nano sim as well. Any corporate Verizon store should give you one for free.

I don't see why you'd need to do a restore. The iPad isn't locked to any SIM, including Apple's own SIM. Just put the Verizon SIM in there and at the most you might need to restart it.

Of course Verizon wouldn't be able to activate it with an Apple SIM in it, they opted out of using Apple's SIM card.

Drew888

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
When I called to activate mine, they couldn't find the device using the IMEI number, device not found. Called right back and the agent had no problems.

Guessing they were slow to show up in Verizon's system.

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
No restore necessary. Popped sim out of older Verizon iPad, put into new iPad Air 2. Didn't even restart. Worked fine.

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
I just went to Verizon website and selected swap device.

It first asked for device id. Then it asked for SIM. After restarting it works fine. It also shows the device fine on the website.

NOTE: I used an extra SIM card I got when I swapped my iphone 6+ 64 for 128. This is why I did the steps on the website. The SIM I used was never activated as an iPad.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Just returned from Verizon Store. They tried , but could not activate the Apple SIM. They swapped it for a Verizon SIM. They kept and threw out the Apple SIM. The iPad Air 2 then activated without a hitch as a device swap. They were quite helpful.

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I bought the LTE version from the Apple store today, then went to the Verizon store and they activated it without any hassle

This. My iPad air 2 was delivered yesterday and I just stopped by the Verizon store. All they did was put in a SIMILAR and activate it. Didn't even charge me anything.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Just returned from Verizon Store. They tried , but could not activate the Apple SIM. They swapped it for a Verizon SIM. They kept and threw out the Apple SIM. The iPad Air 2 then activated without a hitch as a device swap. They were quite helpful.

It seems like it would have been more helpful if they gave your SIM card back to you instead of throwing it away.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
If you have a previously activated Verizon SIM, as I did from my now-sold Mini, all you have to do is swap the Apple SIM to the Verizon SIM and restart. That's it... My Verizon recognized the device swap and replaced the Mini with the new Air 2.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Yes

I would have preferred they had given me the Apple SIM back. However , relative to the device cost, having to purchase a new SIM, should I need it is minor. They were very helpful and I am by no means angry.

Jay

RLesko

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I had an interesting time activating my iPad Air 2 with verizon today. It went something like this

Me: Hi, I'd like to activate this new iPad with verizon on a prepaid data plan.

Manager: Is it a verizon specific model?

Me: Its brand new, the iPads are now carrier agnostic, I just need a SIM.

Manager: Thats not possible.

Me: Of course it is, I just need a Verizon SIM.

Manager: That won't work with Verizon's CDMA network.

Me: Listen, I know what I'm talking about. I know about CDMA networks but as I'm sure you know LTE is completely SIM based. There are no more carrier specific iPads. Just give me a SIM.

Manager: We can't do it, we just lost a 50 line deal with a local company because we can't activate iPads from other carriers.

Me: There are no such thing as carrier specific devices with the new iPads. They come with an Apple SIM which will automatically work with the other carriers. This iPad has not been activated by any cellular provider. I just need a Verizon SIM.

Manager: Well, if you don't mind waiting and possibly wasting your time, I can add you to the queue.

Had one of the associates create a new account for me in the system, scan the sim, popped it in my iPad, reset my network settings via Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. Worked like a charm. It is honestly pathetic how clueless these people can be. So excited about this iPad though.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I had a somewhat better experience today - I went in without my ipad air 2 and got a SIM. They needed the IMEI number for the ipad to activate the SIM, which Apple support emailed to me (since I didn't have the ipad with me). The guy set up a new account and scanned the SIM and I should be good to go.

However, he tried to charge me an activation fee. I told him that there isn't supposed to be one for prepaid tablet plans, but he insisted they always charge one. So I brought up the Verizon website on my phone and showed it to him. He deducted the fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.