Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IdealTech

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
Canada
Hi everyone,

While some of you might not believe my unfortunate story, I really need to vent my frustrations and receive feedback on what I should do.

BEWARE: Wall of text incoming.

So my story starts with me pre-ordering my iPhone 6 through the online store. While I was saddened that I had to wait 1 week after the launch date to receive my phone, it didn't bother me too much. However, disappointment struck as soon as I opened the box.

My first iPhone 6 had a scratch on the screen STRAIGHT out of the box. It was directly below the front camera and appeared to be underneath the oleophobic coating. Meaning, the panel was scratched in manufacturing before the coating was even applied. Pretty unacceptable if you ask me knowing Apple's reputation for quality.

So, I called the online store customer service and I requested for a replacement to which they obliged. HOWEVER, for some reason, the rep told me that I'm not allowed to go a local apple store to replace it since I bought it online. I would have to order a replacement through the online store. This seemed very odd to me but I went along with it since it was an express replacement option.

One week later, I received my replacement iPhone 6 and disappointment again. I had a faulty lock button! It was wobbly and had sort of a "double click" action instead of that solid click I love from Apple products.

So, I called support again; this time choosing Apple Care support. The rep was amazing and explained to me that I was actually allowed to go to a local store for a replacement and so, she set me up with a special case number to replace my phone at my local Apple Store.

One week later, I went and replaced my phone. All the buttons worked. Everything seemed well so I went home. Unfortunately, that night I discovered a single dead pixel right in the center of the screen! So, I make another appointment at the apple store set for the next week which leads to today...

At the Apple store today, they agreed that my phone had a dead pixel but they would not be replacing my phone. Instead, they would replace the screen. I was a bit upset but I had no choice but to settle for it.

Two hours later, I received my "fixed" phone and lo and behold, there's freakin dust under the replacement panel. It was a tiny speck in the lower left corner that was hardly noticeable but I was still upset. The rep was very apologetic at this point and offered to give me a replacement. A free replacement, wow, that's great I thought. So, I agreed.

Too bad my third replacement had an iffy home button. While it works, it doesn't have that solid click and produces a very weird sound as if it's "crackling". It's hard to describe but I told the rep and he insisted that he couldn't feel or hear a difference. He "assured" me "100%" that the home button is just like that and wouldn't be a problem which meant he wasn't bringing out another replacement phone. However, I hated the crackly feel and sound to it (definitely abnormal) so I said I would rather just use my "old" iPhone 6 with the barely noticeable speck of dust.

However, he said that the replacement process already went through so I would HAVE to take this faulty phone instead of my LESS faulty old phone! I told him I would rather deal with a speck of dust I can't see instead of a terrible home button that I would have to experience every 10 minutes. But alas, I still had to take the replacement.

So here I am with my fourth iPhone 6 with a terrible crackly home button and I have no idea what to do anymore. I love the functionality of the iPhone 6, and Apple customer service has been great but the fact remains that I still don't have a 1000 dollar iPhone 6 that works as intended. What should my next step be in this case?

TL;DR: I've had to replace my iPhone 6 three times and replace the screen once, yet I still have a faulty iPhone 6 that the Apple store refused to acknowledge as faulty and replaceable. What should I do?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
It sounds like you are past the 14 day return window?

Edit: I'd call AppleCare and work it out with them. They are typically generous about repairs and you're not relying on a Genius with a different opinion of what's a defect.

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
I personally think Apple has every right to refuse another replacement. At this point it is in their best interest you just return the phone and perhaps that is what you should do. Maybe this product does not have the quality standard you expect. But let me tell you nothing is truly perfect.

My house was expensive as hell and has all kinds of quirky stuff I could obsess over. But you just need to accept things in life have minor flaws and move on. They stop bothering you after you just let it go.

Last edited:

crmcm

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Hope it slowly gets worse and use it as an excuse to get a brand new phone right before your warranty runs out.

I don't know if you own any other Apple products but the company is probably losing money on you at this point. Refusing to swap anymore phones is probably in their best interest. Some people are just never satisfied and I'm sure they put a limit on how far they are willing to go with things like this.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I personally think Apple has every right to refuse another replacement. At this point it is in their best interest you just return the phone and perhaps that is what you should do. Maybe this product does not have the quality standard you expect. But let me tell you nothing is truly perfect.

My house was expensive as hell and has all kinds of quirky stuff I could obsess over. But you just need to accept things in life have minor flaws and move on. They stop bothering you after you just let it go.

You would accept a cracked display? dead pixels? Soft home button? Dust under the display?

The lock button is a little iffy, but the rest I would not take. We also only have one side of the story.

IdealTech

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
Canada
Yes, I requested for a full refund at the apple store but the guy denied me that option because I'm past the 14 day window.

@Jpeg42

I agree with your statement that nothing is perfect. And in my mind, I do know that I'm being a bit more on the picky side. However, it is an almost OCD thing for me when physical buttons don't feel as responsive (feels mushy or weird) as the intended design :(. I was totally okay with dealing with a speck of dust under the screen but the guy forced me to go with a phone that had a faulty button. That is what's frustrating me the most right now.

I'm going to call Applecare tomorrow to see what they can do for me. Do you think they can offer a replacement for me? Or in the worst case, a full refund?

IdealTech

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
Canada
@crmcm

My two previous phones were an iPhone 4 and iPhone 5. They were rock solid and required no replacements or fixes. That is why I continued to go along with Apple. But it seems their quality control is taking a huge turn for the worse. Or maybe I'm just hella unlucky.

@jldesutter83

Yeah, the home button works. I definitely am nitpicking at this point :/
But like I explained before, what bothers me is the fact that I was sort of forced to go with this iPhone with a faulty home button that my previous three didn't have.

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
You would accept a cracked display? dead pixels? Soft home button? Dust under the display?

The lock button is a little iffy, but the rest I would not take. We also only have one side of the story.

I would do a final return or change products after two exchanges. I once returned two LED tvs for light bleed. I could have done that a hundred times and never found a good set I could be happy with. Turns out I wanted plasma :)

crmcm

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
@crmcm

My two previous phones were an iPhone 4 and iPhone 5. They were rock solid and required no replacements or fixes. That is why I continued to go along with Apple. But it seems their quality control is taking a huge turn for the worse. Or maybe I'm just hella unlucky.

I do agree that their quality control hasn't been the best. I myself just replaced my 6 a couple hours ago because the screen was separating from the body and my touch ID didn't work. You still have to see it from their perspective as a company. It's good business to do a few swaps for a customer to keep them happy and coming back for more products. At some point it's no longer good for business, so they refuse to do anything even if it's the right thing to do.

jldesutter83

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2013
Illinois
What I would do is use it until the faulty home button doesn't work and then get it replaced under the warranty. Or like you said before, call and try to get it refunded if you can't live with the faulty button. Do you have more than one Apple Store in your area? Maybe try another store.

IdealTech

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
Canada
I would return for good or change products after two exchanges. I once returned two LED tvs for light bleed. I could have done that a hundred times and never found a good set I could be happy with. Turns out I wanted plasma :)

The unfortunate scenario here is that, due to my second replacement coming from the online store. The one week shipping time itself caused me to exceed that 14 day return window.

To just explain my case a bit further. A little disclaimer, I have nothing against the genius bar Rep who helped me out. He was very nice and polite and it was simply the unfortunate "store policy" that kept him from bringing out more replacements for me to try.

The only issue is that, when I informed him of the speck of dust under the screen. It was more like a "oh look, there's a speck of dust, but it's barely noticeable, whatever" than a "holy sweet jesus, it's a speck of dust. I demand you to bring me another phone". It was after I showed him it that he apologized and offered me a replacement. I didn't ask for the replacement. Since he offered it, I was like okay sure! He didn't tell me that forced me into accepting the replacement over my old one...I thought I was allowed to inspect it before signing to replace...

justindavis098

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2014
Im ocd. The spec of dust would have driven me crazy. If the home button really is broke I would demand a replacement. As much as I use my phone it would drive me insane.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I used to be like that with iPhones and iPods, but as I got older, I don't care as much about tiny crap like dust under the screen or a scratch. Also, almost all of my buttons are loose and I don't even care. Hah.

I used to be like you though. Looking for perfection in expensive Apple stuff. I get it. There just comes a point where you realize that nothing is perfect and these things are made in a factory where they're making millions of them, there's bound to be slight variations to the quality.

I work in manufacturing as well, and it's not easy to get everything exactly the same every time without fail. There are tolerances that we have to go by, so it's allowed to float a bit. It wouldn't be cost effective or practical to re-do every single piece that wasn't 100% perfect to the smallest detail.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I am not saying you are lying, but you must be the unluckiest person in the world. Three different phones with three different problems out of the box. :eek:

I also wasn't aware that Apple is replacing screens already, but that's pretty good to know.

I too have been 'victim' of Apple reps telling me incorrect (or at least inconsistent) info. They still have the best customer service in the business, but have slipped a bit, likely due to the insatiable demand their products deem (more overworked, underpaid employees, people attempting to abuse the sytem etc.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.