Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
On a tablet with 10 hours of battery life, looking At multicore makes sense. To conserve battery life on a phone extensive multitasking is the epitome of poor battery life.

There are more than several Android phones that match or beat the iPhone in battery life.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
I've seen some benchmarks for the Nexus 9....kinda wonky but if true, the A8X bests the K1 by a decent margin in multicore score....whereas the K1 wins in single-core score.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexu...gra-K1-outperforms-Apple-iPhone-6s-A8_id61825

And here's some GPU comparisons

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Appl...-neck-and-neck-with-Nexus-9s-Tegra-K1_id62070

Both devices though are quite a bit ahead in their respective platforms though.....the most powerful Android and iOS devices out there. Very impressive stuff.

Isn't the nexus 9 a dual-core? I would hope a triple core a8x would beat it in multi core tests

Just look at that single core performance and you get a taste of what the new snapdragon 810 will do with quad a57 cpus

I don't know why people are not benching the international note 4.it's running the exynos 7 64 bit octacore with quad a57 but in 32 bit mode

Samsung just put a statement on it and said it's using the exynos 7 64 bit soc

It broke 4000 in geek bench running 32 but mode and it's memory controller at half speed to keep it from absolutely destroying the snapdragon version note 4

Ps samsung and arm both worked together developing big little in the exynos soc

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
I was curious to hear impressions on those phones. I imagine they will be hugely popular. How is the reception among people in India for the phones?

The reception is very good. There are 3 manufacturers of this phone and one manufacturer is facing problems thus tarnishing the reputation somewhat. The other 2 manufacturer's android one phones are gaining traction. I actually never believed android could be this smooth and fast but apart from a few niggles ( A little jerk in browsing through huge list in tapatalk and some graphic heavy websites) , the phone is as smooth as my ipad mini

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Geekbench 3 is calibrated against a 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo I believe. Not sure if there would be any discrepancies as there was no additional calibration with 64-bit iOS either.

Unless you are talking software optimization on the OS side and not on the benchmarking software.

There may be benefits or degradation in running native 64 bit code on the new chipset and os (one of the reasons that there is a native x64/x86 versions on windows, Linux and iOS.

Too soon to definitely tell at this point.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
To be perfectly honest, Android Lollipop has intrigued me to consider going with a Nexus 5 or Moto G. I may get an iPhone 6 in the end, but my options are open.

Naturally the Nexus 5 is cheaper, but I'd love to know or hear from those who have jumped over to Android and to hear of their experiences. Especially if you still have a foot in the Apple ecosystem with an iPad and/or Mac.

Is it possible to integrate an Android phone with OSX and iOS?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Isn't the nexus 9 a dual-core? I would hope a triple core a8x would beat it in multi core tests

Just look at that single core performance and you get a taste of what the new snapdragon 810 will do with quad a57 cpus

I don't know why people are not benching the international note 4.it's running the exynos 7 64 bit octacore with quad a57 but in 32 bit mode

Samsung just put a statement on it and said it's using the exynos 7 64 bit soc

It broke 4000 in geek bench running 32 but mode and it's memory controller at half speed to keep it from absolutely destroying the snapdragon version note 4

Ps samsung and arm both worked together developing big little in the exynos soc

You aren't talking about this exynos are you?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...ace-see-how-it-compares-with-iPhone-6_id61288

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I admit it's a good looking OS especially over iOS. It's just a matter of dev support, which it's still an iOS first world.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
I admit it's a good looking OS especially over iOS. It's just a matter of dev support, which it's still an iOS first world.

Personally i prefer KitKat's design to iOS and Lollipop but prefer iOS's design to Lollipop.

Also you're right. The default statement is usually "check out my new app in the app store. As for Android users, we're working on it"

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I think that hasn't true for quite some time.

I can't think of a hot app that came out on Android first, or even both at the same time. It's a fact that devs go iOS first, then Android. And with everybody busy with iOS8, I don't expect them to get to Android L anytime soon. When I was on Android, I've seen many apps using older UI elements than iOS (ie. Zite), then eventually got the updated UI that iOS had. Then I saw other apps that we're stated as "coming soon" or "we're working on it (ie VSCOCam). Then there were other apps that were completely half assed (ie 1Password, which was just some kind of a viewer; Everpix, which was just some kind of uploader). I've seen apps get major new features and UI updates first on iOS, then eventaully trickeled down to Android (ie. Evernote).

That's just my experience with Android.

I hear more devs talk about the App Store more than the Play Store. Android apps seem like an afterthought after they polish the iOS version.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I can't think of a hot app that came out on Android first, or even both at the same time. It's a fact that devs go iOS first, then Android. And with everybody busy with iOS8, I don't expect them to get to Android L anytime soon. When I was on Android, I've seen many apps using older UI elements than iOS (ie. Zite), then eventually got the updated UI that iOS had. Then I saw other apps that we're stated as "coming soon" or "we're working on it (ie VSCOCam). Then there were other apps that were completely half assed (ie 1Password, which was just some kind of a viewer; Everpix, which was just some kind of uploader). I've seen apps get major new features and UI updates first on iOS, then eventaully trickeled down to Android (ie. Evernote).

I hear more devs talk about the App Store more than the Play Store. Android apps seem like an afterthought after they polish the iOS version.

And I can see thousands of apps that are available for Android which never made it to iOS. These are more advanced apps which ios cannot support including... automation type apps, ui customization, etc

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011

All of this is just your opinion and it isn't true. Perhaps your experience of Android is based on some years back.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

Apps on Android that either aren't on iOS or are worse on iOS that I use include ones like Recargo, Timely, TV Show Favs, any file manager, twitter, Today Calendar, and Google+.

I know medical apps and music apps have always been better on iOS, but I think many areas like games and utility apps are coming to parity between the two platforms (with the exception being when either Apple or Google pay a developer for exclusivity, which has happened many times in the past).

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Apps that really don't fit an IOS environment.

Then ios users are missing out on an larger environment provided by android. No wonder they say ios is a walled garden. Android world is so much bigger than ios walled garden.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Then ios users are missing out on an larger environment provided by android. No wonder they say ios is a walled garden. Android world is so much bigger than ios walled garden.

I'm okay with that. The walled IOS garden works perfectly for me. I don't need and want a lot of extra junk. I have some extremely sophisticated IOS only specialty stuff that I use, but that's about it.

tys

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I'm a long time iOS user, but just spent a month on Android, Sony Xperia with kit kat. I actually preferred Android, but there were too many apps I rely on that either didn't have android versions or had lousy Android versions, so I'm back on iOS for now.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Apps that really don't fit an IOS environment.

What kind of fanboy comment is this? Its true that Android has a lot of useful apps that either don't exist on iOS because of iOS limitations or because the devs don't want to.

The same thing is true for OS X vs Windows. You can't even find a decent unzip utility, video player and many other kinds of utilities for OS X. Many simple things need paid software.

This is just the reality of living in a walled garden. I'm sure people will deny this by saying they have what they want, but that's just denial. The opposite is true too, OS X and iOS have a lot of unique well designed apps, I won't deny that. But people should try to be unbiased and recognize advantages of both platforms.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Apple is great in one thing. Their 'followers' even defending a buggy IOS whilst slaying buggy Android.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Or how to show your extreme bias

We know we are all in this thread because each one of us is totally objective as can see the bigger picture. Right?

----------

Apple is great in one thing. Their 'followers' even defending a buggy IOS whilst slaying buggy Android.

Can you name a software product that is bug free? I am not having issues with IOS as a lot of my peers aren't. Nothing to defend. Just what is so?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
And I can see thousands of apps that are available for Android which never made it to iOS. These are more advanced apps which ios cannot support including... automation type apps, ui customization, etc

Yes, Android does indeed have more utility and tinkering apps than iOS. Their Top 20 lists are....interesting.

----------

All of this is just your opinion and it isn't true. Perhaps your experience of Android is based on some years back.

Perhaps, but I gave concrete examples with apps I was using and compared them directly to OS. This was while I was on the S4 whenever that launched. Android seriously lacks camera and photo and video apps. I lasted 6 months with that. It's just too clunky of a system, but I was convinced it was Touchwiz. I'm hoping that L is the best Android yet. I'm seriously looking at the Nexus 6 if Apple doesn't fix this horrendous iOS 8 junk.

----------

Apps on Android that either aren't on iOS or are worse on iOS that I use include ones like Recargo, Timely, TV Show Favs, any file manager, twitter, Today Calendar, and Google+.

I know medical apps and music apps have always been better on iOS, but I think many areas like games and utility apps are coming to parity between the two platforms (with the exception being when either Apple or Google pay a developer for exclusivity, which has happened many times in the past).

Calendar apps better on Android? Nope. iOS has a gazillion to choose from.
Games are always superior on iOS so I don't buy that. Twitter and Google+? I use Tweetbot which is >Twitter. And Google+ has always been a joke. The rest of your apps are utilities, which Android seems to excel at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.