Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vmaatta

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Ok so there is definitely and issue with Nvidia cards with 10.9.3+. Everyone who says it works is using an AMD card. I am using a non flashed GTX 570.

Well.. I've been using GTX 660 just fine with the MacPro4,1 from ~10.7 through 10.9.4. First NVAudio and when that broke in 10.9.2 I found the updated HDMIAudio here. It worked just fine with 10.9.3 and 10.9.4.

But not anymore with the release Yosemite, 10.10 (14A389). I reinstalled just in case but HDMIAudio 1.0 is no longer working for me :(.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Well.. I've been using GTX 660 just fine with the MacPro4,1 from ~10.7 through 10.9.4. First NVAudio and when that broke in 10.9.2 I found the updated HDMIAudio here. It worked just fine with 10.9.3 and 10.9.4.

But not anymore with the release Yosemite, 10.10 (14A389). I reinstalled just in case but HDMIAudio 1.0 is no longer working for me :(.

I still can't get it working but try entering this into terminal and restarting:
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

If that doesn't work type this to get rid of the bootarg:
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args=""

Vmaatta

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Rebuild the kernel cache like in the instructions to remove HDMIAudio in the first post and reboot.

But of course, thanks. Works great.

One thing that tripped me for a moment was that when I enabled the dev-mode yesterday the OS X default driver was activated on boot for some reason. I had to switch back to NVIDIA Web Driver and reboot again and then the audion worked.

drac

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2004
New Zealand
Stopped working after 10.10

My flashed 4.1 to 5.1 with GTX 680 (Flashed with mac.rom) stopped displaying an HDMI audio out with the new OS. I had to use the dev-mod to get it back.

Seems all good now. Is any disadvantage of using this?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
My flashed 4.1 to 5.1 with GTX 680 (Flashed with mac.rom) stopped displaying an HDMI audio out with the new OS. I had to use the dev-mod to get it back.

Seems all good now. Is any disadvantage of using this?

It disables the kext signing security check. Just make sure you install only kext you trust.

xbvis

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2014
After the 10.10 update can i get HDMI audio working on NVidia.
There is an issue with the kext and Nvidia cards
No ?
I was no able to get it working but now that a native boot.efi I has been developed it does work in Yosemite
when boot method ?

ronindavid

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
Oh yes, that did the trick :). Login seems quite a bit slower but it works.

Can confirm. Works perfectly. Thank you!!!

I wasn't sure exactly how to do this so I just followed the instructions on the first page, rebooted, then typed sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1" in Terminal and rebooted again.

Vmaatta

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Can confirm. Works perfectly. Thank you!!!

I wasn't sure exactly how to do this so I just followed the instructions on the first page, rebooted, then typed sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1" in Terminal and rebooted again.

Great. The one thing more I did was to rebuild the kernel cache as per Hennessie2000's instructions.

Rebuild the kernel cache like in the instructions to remove HDMIAudio in the first post and reboot.

1. Enter this command, then press the Return or Enter key:
    Code:
    sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
  2. Enter this command, then press the Return or Enter key:
    Code:
    sudo kextcache -system-caches
  3. Restart your machine.

Phyr

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
Confirmed to work on a Mac Pro 5,1 on 10.10 with a GTX 980 (web driver: 343.01.01f02) after using
Code:

Make sure to toggle between the web driver and the default OS X driver or you'll get a black screen on boot.

Reactions: dabotsonline

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Confirmed to work on a Mac Pro 5,1 on 10.10 with a GTX 980 (web driver: 343.01.01f02) after using
Code:

Make sure to toggle between the web driver and the default OS X driver or you'll get a black screen on boot.

How is that 980?

Phyr

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
Yes, I installed the dev toolkit and verified that it works by compiling and running some diagnostics. If you'd like to discuss it further I suggest we continue in this thread.

ACleave

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
This is great, thank you. One small bug.

Worked with 10.10 and GTX 970 but has an odd bug. The sound comes through HDMI but is intermittent / patchy. Will play for a second or two, then cut out for a few seconds then come back.

Any ideas?

ps. thanks again for doing this, by far the easiest HDMI Audio fix for a newcomer

illfated

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
Worked with 10.10 and GTX 970 but has an odd bug. The sound comes through HDMI but is intermittent / patchy. Will play for a second or two, then cut out for a few seconds then come back.

Any ideas?

ps. thanks again for doing this, by far the easiest HDMI Audio fix for a newcomer

How did you get it working on 10.10 with a 970?
I've been trying to get SPDIF and HDMI working for several days but nobody in any forum could seem to help me.

Do you only have the HDMI kext from here installed?
Do you use AppleHDA (native or modded), VoodooHDA or any DSDT patches?

VoodooHDA worked but I had to plug in and plug out the HDMI cable everytime I reboot and SPDIF on my Creative card wouldn't work at all.

ACleave

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
I installed the Nvidia web drivers, the ACL1150 sound kexts with Multibeast and then this kext (HDMIAudio), and that was all. I didn't test SPDIF though. Still having the issue with sound cutting out. Have figured out that if I change the refresh rate of my TV to 24hz, the sound plays ok. Not sure if it's a cable, card or driver issue yet..

illfated

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
I installed the Nvidia web drivers, the ACL1150 sound kexts with Multibeast and then this kext (HDMIAudio), and that was all. I didn't test SPDIF though. Still having the issue with sound cutting out. Have figured out that if I change the refresh rate of my TV to 24hz, the sound plays ok. Not sure if it's a cable, card or driver issue yet..

Hm, that didn't work for me. Thanks though, I guess I give up with the hackintosh. Maybe there'll be a hdmi audio fix or so :D

illfated

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
Have you tried VooDooHDA with your hackintosh?

Yeah, VoodooHDA Displays all 4 ports as HDMI Out (I have 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, 1DP) the Audio also works... but only after I plugin and plugout the cable. After every reboot I have to plug it out and back in to have any sound.

nes036

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2014
Hi guys,

After trying everything, i still can't enable hdmi output on my NVIDIA GTX 560 graphic card.

Can somebody send me link to complete tutorial or to write correct steps how to enable HDMI audio on this card?

My specs are:
Intel i5 2500k
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H (ALC 887)
MSI NVIDIA GTX 560 (not ti version)
OSX Yosemite 10.10
MacPro 3.1 system definition.

Should i change system definition to enable this to work?

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.