Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Remember that until 6 months ago, the 780m was the fastest bleeding edge mobile card on the market. So for Apple to ship an iMac with a card 15-20% faster then the fastest gaming laptop card from 6 months ago isn't really a disappointment in my eyes. I think to climb significantly higher, you would need a crossfire or sli iMac, which I don't see them doing (but would be the first in line to buy one.)

That they can dissipate heat from cards like these is impressive giving the iMacs thin chassis. Look at Sager, Clevo, Asus and Alienware laptops housing these same chips, and most are the size of a bus...like 2-3 inches thick.

I did go down to my local Apple store today, and played with the i5/290X iMac that was on display. Screen is pretty insane. The biggest issue is that the retina tax is HUGE on any of these machines if your a gamer. I learned that the hard way on my MBP/650m. So in that context, I can understand potential disappointment. But so far, the scores in FPS that the system is putting down seems to be pretty reasonable.

It's really impressive to me that Apple was able to build this machine for the money that they are asking. It was really snappy, and the screen is stunning.
I try to stay positive to these threads were half the people dont know a single thing about cpu or gpu architecture.

I try not to answer them also.

But when you say stuff like 780m was the best 6 months ago i just bang my head against the wall. So i guess 880m never happened then...

And people wanting to game at 5k at sub 30 fps. Good luck with that.

Also haswell is old technology. The haswell e refresh is new but its just a very minor speed bump. And AMDs tonga? Dont get me started. Its old and draws 30% more watts then a 980m.

And finally. To those who say well 980m was recently released so apple wouldnr have had time. .. really? Dont you know manufactues gets these chips momths ahead of launch. Why does every gaming laptop manufacturer have a gaming rig in stock on the day of the relrase of the 980m. Right.

Is the m295x better then the 780m. Ofcourse, the 780m is medieval. But its dissapointing that it cant keep up with the 980m. It gets demolished. And people who bought the imac are trying to defend it.

----------

Because M295X is not 250W GPU.

D700 which has 2048 Cores, 3.5 TFlops of compute power, and 384 Bits of VRAM bus has 128W of TDP Max.

M295X should have around 100W TDP.
100w tdp on a mobile gpu is still alot compared to 980m.

So the imac will get warm

----------

it doesn't matter now. What is matter that the high end 295x is better in all the ways than the previous high end imac 780M.

Yes it could be better...always we can say this no matter what
Dude. Come an.

The newly released chip is better then two generation old nvidia chip. Should we clap for that.

Hey guys my new iphone is faster then my 2 year old iphone. Clap!

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
GTX970M vs m295x

Here you can see for yourself.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oM2CdF4cc0o

Pause the video at 05:47

Compare those results to GTX970M (not even gtx980m)
http://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?benchmark=gfx30&os=Windows&api=gl&D=NVIDIA%20GeForce%20GTX%20970M

End of discusscion. Also take into the account that 980m is about 20-30% faster then the 970m. So if the 970m is that much faster. Then yeah.

Also the temperaturs im seeimg on these iMacs. Makes me believe the gpu are underclocked. Because of the high tdp. There was a rumor that m295x was cancelled because if its high powe draw and high temperature output. Making it unusable in laptops. iMacs have more space but still the temperaturs are very high.

acantril

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
GTX970M vs m295x

Here you can see for yourself.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oM2CdF4cc0o

Pause the video at 05:47

Compare those results to GTX970M (not even gtx980m)
http://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?benchmark=gfx30&os=Windows&api=gl&D=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M

End of discusscion. Also take into the account that 980m is about 20-30% faster then the 970m. So if the 970m is that much faster. Then yeah.

Also the temperaturs im seeimg on these iMacs. Makes me believe the gpu are underclocked. Because of the high tdp. There was a rumor that m295x was cancelled because if its high powe draw and high temperature output. Making it unusable in laptops. iMacs have more space but still the temperaturs are very high.

I can't see any mention of Res in either of those two ? so essentially you could be comparing 1080p/1440p against 5k ?

I could post benchmarks that show the inverse... all this is irrelevant until we see game FPS that we trust.

Cameryn12

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2014

I posted this in another thread... I'm seeing temps of 90-105 C on the GPU according to iStat on this machine for basically running the same level as the non-retina system. How much of a danger is this going to be in the long run? If I do a lot of game time that it's running in the 90-105 C range on the GPU, the machine is pretty much going to crap out for me quickly, isn't it?

acantril

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
I posted this in another thread... I'm seeing temps of 90-105 C on the GPU according to iStat on this machine for basically running the same level as the non-retina system. How much of a danger is this going to be in the long run? If I do a lot of game time that it's running in the 90-105 C range on the GPU, the machine is pretty much going to crap out for me quickly, isn't it?

what does it matter .... get applecare and you're sorted. One of the benefits of apple building the thing, if it dies, its replaced/repaired.

Katamari12

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
Is it true that the iMac stutters when you scrol through web pages (especially Firefox)?
This is mentioned in the digitaltrends Review:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/desktop-computer-reviews/apple-imac-with-retina-display-review/

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

Katamari12

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
People still use Firefox? This is news to me!

:cool: :D

P.S. We all know that scrolling through web pages is the most important benchmark on this forum, when it comes to all Apple devices.

Sorry xD I didn't know where else to ask this. this would be my first Mac device and I prefer Firefox because of all the extensions.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Sorry xD I didn't know where else to ask this. this would be my first Mac device and I prefer Firefox because of all the extensions.

Fair enough :)

I haven't seen any complaints here, but most people would be using Safari, or Chrome. Bear in mind that Yosemite has slowed down some of the UI and I would expect 10.10.1 or later versions to fix some of these issues. Firefox itself might need an update for Yosemite. There are many variables here and it's difficult to form an opinion, or make any conclusions, at this early stage.

When the 2012 rMBP came out (which I happen to own) these forums were full of anger and crying because scrolling web pages up and down quickly wasn't as smooth as people were expecting. A couple of OS updates later and everything was fine.

Fuzzi

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2009
on the first retina Macbook scrolling in Firefox isn't very smooth (and has never been), so I think it's very well possible that it's not good on the iMac either (at least with the 290er GPU).

That's the main reason I ordered the 295er GPU and the big CPU, I hope it'll be ok with those...

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
on the first retina Macbook scrolling in Firefox isn't very smooth (and has never been), so I think it's very well possible that it's not good on the iMac either (at least with the 290er GPU).

That's the main reason I ordered the 295er GPU and the big CPU, I hope it'll be ok with those...

That's a Firefox issue then, because scrolling is perfectly fine and smooth in Chrome and Safari on the 2012 rMBP.

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
...To those who say well 980m was recently released so apple wouldnr have had time. .. really? Dont you know manufactues gets these chips momths ahead of launch. ...

Available evidence indicates the 980m GM-204 may have taped out in June. From that point it takes four months to finalize the product after the earliest samples. That takes us until October.

October would be be the first point where 980m mass manufacturing could *begin*. Unfortunately that was way too late for the retina iMac. The *final* chip has to be integrated into the iMac system, that design frozen, final all-up testing done, pilot production, checks, any needed fixes made, final production ramp up, then time to accumulate volumes for the launch.

It's not like an enthusiast or *small volume* manufacturer getting a few samples. If the component manufacturer cannot produce their part early enough and in sufficient quantities at the required yield, for all practical purposes it is not available. Taking a risk on something like that is a good way to make a billion-dollar mistake.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...dia-already-testing-gm200-graphics-processor/

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
Available evidence indicates the 980m GM-204 may have taped out in June. From that point it takes four months to finalize the product after the earliest samples. That takes us until October.

October would be be the first point where 980m mass manufacturing could *begin*. Unfortunately that was way too late for the retina iMac. The *final* chip has to be integrated into the iMac system, that design frozen, final all-up testing done, pilot production, checks, any needed fixes made, final production ramp up, then time to accumulate volumes for the launch.

It's not like an enthusiast or *small volume* manufacturer getting a few samples. If the component manufacturer cannot produce their part early enough and in sufficient quantities at the required yield, for all practical purposes it is not available. Taking a risk on something like that is a good way to make a billion-dollar mistake.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...dia-already-testing-gm200-graphics-processor/

my problem with this is that there are more 980Ms in the wild than 295x

GreatMightySymp

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2013
I've noticed a few minor issues where the animations for Mission Control/Launchpad were somewhat slower on the base graphics card, but it's weird because if I do it again a few seconds later it does the animation fine (or you'll have MC do the slowdown, but Launchpad doesn't).

Thinking maybe it's an optimization issue in Yosemite or something, you'd think the animations would be consistent in slowness if it was the graphics card. Notification Center doesn't do it at all when that happens either.

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
I am familiar with this slightly choppy Mission Control animation. It happens on the rMBP as well, smooths out a few seconds later, etc. I think it's just a really intensive operation. I see it on my 5k iMac with the base graphics but it's not a usability issue. And Launchpad is always silky smooth, I'm not sure why you noticed anything there.

hyune83

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
Regardless of benchmarks, anyone know if the m290x runs smooth with general use including gentle video editing?

Hugi

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
I'm looking at getting 5k iMac with the upgraded processor and gpu, so I went into my local Apple store today, they only had the base config for the 5k iMac and I can confirm, it looks amazing.

However someone here brought up mission control lagging.
I opened iPhoto, Safari, two finder windows and iMovie and with the setting set to "best for retina" there was some slight lagging pressing it multiple times over.

I then pushed the display to max resolution did the same thing and there was very noticeable lag.
Not a very comprehensive test, only had a couple of minutes to play, but I'd feel GPU upgrade to get the most longevity of the unit.

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
I'm afraid you are still referring to a Mission Control performance bug.

What we would need here is someone with the upgraded GPU to confirm that Mission Control always flies on their machine.

I like the performance of the M290X for the last two days very much (no gaming, video effects editing, or Photoshop GPU acceleration tasks)

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Fair enough :)

I haven't seen any complaints here, but most people would be using Safari, or Chrome. Bear in mind that Yosemite has slowed down some of the UI and I would expect 10.10.1 or later versions to fix some of these issues. Firefox itself might need an update for Yosemite. There are many variables here and it's difficult to form an opinion, or make any conclusions, at this early stage.

When the 2012 rMBP came out (which I happen to own) these forums were full of anger and crying because scrolling web pages up and down quickly wasn't as smooth as people were expecting. A couple of OS updates later and everything was fine.

I was one of those early adopters... The problem with that logic is that prior to Mavericks, Apple was using the poor CPU to accelerate scrolling in Safari which it was poor suited for. Later versions of ML kinda helped it a bit, but it wasn't fully fixed until Mavericks with fully accelerated scrolling via GPU. I'm assuming Yosemite is already using the GPU for this so I'm not expecting the same increase in performance that was seen previously unless the ATI drivers are bad which would be ridiculous as AMD/Apple has had 2 years to write them lol.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
I am familiar with this slightly choppy Mission Control animation. It happens on the rMBP as well, smooths out a few seconds later, etc. I think it's just a really intensive operation. I see it on my 5k iMac with the base graphics but it's not a usability issue. And Launchpad is always silky smooth, I'm not sure why you noticed anything there.

I think it's Yosemite. I never had the problem on Mavericks.

what does it matter .... get applecare and you're sorted. One of the benefits of apple building the thing, if it dies, its replaced/repaired.

Applecare only lasts for 3 years. A lot of us plan on keeping these rigs for 5-6 years. What do we do?

Renzatic

Suspended
Its interesting. I just ordered the one with m295x, I hope it will perform well.
Im not sure if those tests were done in 5k resolution using a 3d benchmark test. In that case Im not suprised at all. Nobody can exepct to run games in this resolution. But if they were benchmarking with the same res as you did, then its worrysome.

From what I've seen, the 295 is quite a bit more powerful than the 290. I saw one benchmark where the retina iMac equipped with it scored nearly twice as well in realtime 3D tests as the entry level Mac Pro.

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
I can't see any mention of Res in either of those two ? so essentially you could be comparing 1080p/1440p against 5k ?

I could post benchmarks that show the inverse... all this is irrelevant until we see game FPS that we trust.

If you haven't understood it.. you need to check offscreen results, always rendered at same res.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.