Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john bacon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2012
I really want to buy an iPod Touch 5 to replace my old 4G, but how delicate is it?

Last edited:

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Mine is still nice and hard. The only time I put it in my back pocket is when I'm running/walking around though. So not many chances for it to become bendy.

Just take care of it and it'll be fine.

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2014
I would not replace your 4G with an 2 year old device.

Just wait for the iPod Touch 6G.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I really want to buy an iPod Touch 5 to replace my old 4G, but how delicate is it?

Just don't take a hammer to it and it'll be fine. ;)

I would not replace your 4G with an 2 year old device.

Just wait for the iPod Touch 6G.

If Apple was going to release an iPod Touch 6G, they would have did so last week during their event. Apple now has their holiday line up set up. He can wait, but they're more than likely going to be waiting a while till Apple updates the iPod Touch, if at all...

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
That whole Bendgate thing was a journalism scheme.

Bad apple news sells and gets more hits than good.

the iPod is thinner, no bending issues or exploitations ever.

Thats why i was pretty positive that people with bent iPhones were bending it themselves.

I've been using the iPod for about an year now, i used it first for development, but of course theres uses. I use it all the time when I'm home so my iPhone is at 100% when i leave the house.

and the whole iPad Mini Vs iPod debate, it doesn't make sense, i can take my iPod with me when I'm cooking or doing chores so i can chat or look up quick things and put it back in my pocket,

iPads not so much. thats like saying, why not use iPad Minis as Phones, Who needs iPhones?

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
The iPod is a great product, and continues to sell by the million...

But it's just so dwarfed by iPhone sales, its status within the Apple lineup is to be diminished further. I don't think we'll see a 6th generation of the Touch, or new updates to the other models..

Shame really.

"When it comes to the iPod, it seems the bottom has fallen out of the sales. Apple only managed to shift 2.6 million units, which is down 10 percent from the previous quarter and down 24 percent from the year-ago quarter.

In terms of sales, this is the worst quarter for the iPod since Q4 04, which was when the iPod was on the rise, and the first quarter where Apple managed to shift more than a million iPod units.

Not coincidentally, this is the last quarter where Apple will report iPod sales as a separate product. From the next quarter the iPod will be bundled under the "Other" category that accessories."

(http://www.zdnet.com/apple-q4-2014-...trongest-ever-mac-quarterly-sales-7000034885/)

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011

But it's just so dwarfed by iPhone sales, its status within the Apple lineup is to be diminished further. I don't think we'll see a 6th generation of the Touch, or new updates to the other models..

Shame really.

"When it comes to the iPod, it seems the bottom has fallen out of the sales. Apple only managed to shift 2.6 million units, which is down 10 percent from the previous quarter and down 24 percent from the year-ago quarter.

In terms of sales, this is the worst quarter for the iPod since Q4 04, which was when the iPod was on the rise, and the first quarter where Apple managed to shift more than a million iPod units.

Not coincidentally, this is the last quarter where Apple will report iPod sales as a separate product. From the next quarter the iPod will be bundled under the "Other" category that accessories."

(http://www.zdnet.com/apple-q4-2014-...trongest-ever-mac-quarterly-sales-7000034885/)

well apple went with the "entry-level" route with the mac-mini. why not just make the iPod the "entry-level" iOS device.

till the cheapest on the market, doesn't matter if the iPad Mini 1 is only $250. kids aren't gonna be able to take it anywhere they want or joggers for that matter.

But then again, whats th point if you have an iPhone?

Aspasia

macrumors 65816

Not at all delicate. I purchased mine on launch date and have carried it since. In my jacket pocket, purse, shirt pocket, jeans pocket, etc. I have a soft case to protect the back; nothing on the front. It's still pristine.

A family member whose Touch is protected by an Otterbox Defender discovered it had slipped out of her backpack in the school parking lot where it was run over by a car. While the screen was shattered, it still worked. Had the screen replaced and no problems since. Have to thank Otterbox for that save.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I know someone who bent their 5th gen touch.

They sat on it.

The 5th gen touch is so bendable that it even bends when you sit down with it in your back pocket! Wow! Not to mention, the screen cracks as well! Unheard of! Wow!

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Sounds like a good time.

OP, go grab one. No bendable issues with touch 5.

For sure. A floppy/limpy iPod isn't exactly a pleasurable sight anyways. A little protection goes a long way! Besides if you use rubber/silicon like me, you won't even know its there

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
For sure. A floppy/limpy iPod isn't exactly a pleasurable sight anyways. A little protection goes a long way! Besides if you use rubber/silicon like me, you won't even know its there

A silicone case won't help to prevent a device from bending under pressure. However a sturdier case like an otterbox would increase the pressure exertion threshold.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012

Shame really.

I think Apple really needs to start promoting the iPod Touch again. Perhaps?
It seems that the iPod has been forgotten about by the consumer. Everybody is talking about iPhone 6 and iPad Mini/Air these days but no one really mentions the iPod Touch.

I think Apple need to evolve the iPod Touch somehow. Perhaps even make it the size of the iPhone 6 Plus. Then they could do away with the iPad Mini as some people have mentioned.
Some people like the portability of the Mini vs the iPad Air, thus a bigger iPod Touch would perhaps be even better?
It would just be nice to know for sure.

But back on topic, I have a $2 hard shell on my iPT5 which I picked up from Target. It provides structural support and protection. Considering I use it most when I'm sleeping and thus end up lying on it and throwing it about unkowningly when asleep, it has survived. :)

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Yes, that would dove-tail nicely, if the rumoured end to the iPad Mini line is true.

Who knows though... predicting Apple's moves, and indeed motivation, is tricky!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.