Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johngwheeler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
I come from a land down-under...
I have an MBA 13 and am thinking of upgrading to a new rMBP 13. One thing I am concerned about is the general comfort of using the rMBP keyboard and trackpad.

I found on the older cMBP that the front edges and the cut-out below the trackpad felt quite sharp. Unless I kept my wrists off the computer (meaning my forearms/elbows needed to be resting on a desk), it was quite uncomfortable.

I also found that my thumb would rub against the cut-out below the trackpad, which is also quite irritating.

I find the MBA is very comfortable to use due the very thin front edge that it angled so that it's only a few millimetres from the desk. The rMBP is a lot thinner than the older model, but I haven't got a good impression of what it's like to use from my visits to the Apple store.

Has anyone else made the transition from MBA to rMBP and had any comfort issues?

blooperz

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2013
Really too subjective of a question to be able to answer....everyone is going to hold their computer differently/position hands in different ways...also depends to a large degree on how big your hands are...for me the 13 Rmbp is the perfect fit....but I ended up getting the 15 " and know exactly what you are describing

nkawal

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
NYC
I agree with the OP. I've got a 2010 13" MBA. Really was hoping for a Retina Version to come out this year. It didn't so I picked up fully speced 13" rMBP. There is definitely a difference in comfort. If someone was to tell me this before, I would have laughed it off. I feel the difference using both. The Air feels more comfortable typing on. I find my hands are positioned slightly higher on the Retina Pro. Will definitely have to get used to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.