Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Please shine the iPhone flashlight diagonally from the bottom of the 15" retina MBP screen to the top edges of the glass, do you see a diagonal crease? Like a gentle fold on each of the top coners?

Thanks!

Love you All!

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Please shine the iPhone flashlight diagonally from the bottom of the 15" retina MBP screen to the top edges of the glass, do you see a diagonal crease? Like a gentle fold on each of the top coners?
Yep, mine has those "creases" in the two upper corners. They are exactly the same size and at the same angle, one side is just a mirror image of the other. So I have to assume that they were intentional, although I could not explain why they are necessary.

Here is the interesting bit: my sister's 15" rMBP does not have this. The glass in the upper corners of her screen is perfectly flat. I have a mid-2012, and she has an early-2013, but because early 2013 was just a minor refresh and is basically counted as the same generation as the 2012, I am not sure that this is significant. What may be more significant is that mine has a Samsung screen and hers has an LG screen. Perhaps the "folds" are a natural result of the Samsung manufacturing process, while LG's process does not result in the same phenomenon. If so, it could be that checking for the presence of these "creases" might prove to be a quick and reliable way of confirming a Samsung screen on the 15" model without even having to power it on.

The next time that I am in an Apple store with a bunch of rMBP, I will see if I can correlate presence of the "crease" with screen manufacturer.

-- Nathan

vpro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Great observation!

Yep, mine has those "creases" in the two upper corners. They are exactly the same size and at the same angle, one side is just a mirror image of the other. So I have to assume that they were intentional, although I could not explain why they are necessary.

Here is the interesting bit: my sister's 15" rMBP does not have this. The glass in the upper corners of her screen is perfectly flat. I have a mid-2012, and she has an early-2013, but because early 2013 was just a minor refresh and is basically counted as the same generation as the 2012, I am not sure that this is significant. What may be more significant is that mine has a Samsung screen and hers has an LG screen. Perhaps the "folds" are a natural result of the Samsung manufacturing process, while LG's process does not result in the same phenomenon. If so, it could be that checking for the presence of these "creases" might prove to be a quick and reliable way of confirming a Samsung screen on the 15" model without even having to power it on.

The next time that I am in an Apple store with a bunch of rMBP, I will see if I can correlate presence of the "crease" with screen manufacturer.

-- Nathan

Thanks Nathan,

This was tremendous and more information than I expected, just grateful for it, wow. Mine is the late 2013 15" rMBP interesting. When I was in the Apple temple I also noticed all of the 15" rMBPs had this so I wondered if it was my OCD or if others also noticed.

Looking forward to more findings!

I LOVE You all!!

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Canada

Thanks!

Love you All!

mine has them as well but i don't think it was intentional i just think its a manufacturing flaw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.