Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Bummer that the Rosberg Hamilton fight was determined after one move though.....

What is going on with Rosberg?

Ever since the notorious collision with Hamilton he's made no end of mental mistakes: locking up brakes, blowing through chicanes, etc.

If I didn't know better, I'd say that Toto Wolf took Rosberg down to some dank dungeon and threatened he'd let Niki Lauda go all medieval on his ass with a battery charger and an air gun if he didn't let Hamilton win a few races as compensation for being such a jerk.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Great Job by Mercedes for sure.. if engine units stay locked for 2015, only McLaren can catch up on them.

That's what I'm hoping. Hopefully, they'll be able to sign Alonso for more than a year; Button is a really smooth driver, and Alonso is more aggressive, which adds to the fun. I'm not a fan of Alonso, but he def is one of the best drivers in the field. :)

All I'm praying for is no DNF in Abu Double...

...unless it's Hammy losing his engine, tranny, spoiler, and all four wheels. That would be wonderful. :D

I can still hear his little voice on the team radio at Belgium: "Nico hit me! Nico hit me!" Probably got back to the paddock and had some good Belgian cheese with that whine.

What is going on with Rosberg?

Ever since the notorious collision with Hamilton he's made no end of mental mistakes: locking up brakes, blowing through chicanes, etc.

If I didn't know better, I'd say that Toto Wolf took Rosberg down to some dank dungeon and threatened he'd let Niki Lauda go all medieval on his ass with a battery charger and an air gun if he didn't let Hamilton win a few races as compensation for being such a jerk.

A lot of the driving is psychological; I think when Mercedes forced him to apologize and then made him pay his teammate it broke his current streak. Hamilton got what he wanted, and the fans who bring in the money are happy regardless of the nepotism. It's a pity they won't let them just drive. I'd love for them to lose the title, as a team, but, well... no hope of that now.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
...unless it's Hammy losing his engine, tranny, spoiler, and all four wheels. That would be wonderful. :D

I can still hear his little voice on the team radio at Belgium: "Nico hit me! Nico hit me!" Probably got back to the paddock and had some good Belgian cheese with that whine.

Why would you want Nico to win though? Remember him telling the team that Hamilton wouldn't let him pass, when he was nowhere near his back end?
And then when he parked it at Monaco because he knew Hamilton would beat him to pole and ultimately the title.
Given that result, and Hamilton's 3 DNF for the season, the drivers championship would have been over today as well even with double bubble at the last race.

iHackPro

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2014
DFW, TX
Why would you want Nico to win though? Remember him telling the team that Hamilton wouldn't let him pass, when he was nowhere near his back end?
And then when he parked it at Monaco because he knew Hamilton would beat him to pole and ultimately the title.
Given that result, and Hamilton's 3 DNF for the season, the drivers championship would have been over today as well even with double bubble at the last race.

-I wouldn't say that he was nowhere near him, but he shouldn't have asked to be let through.
-Rosberg had been locking up there all weekend, it's just a sheer bad luck for Hamilton it happened then.

Hamilton (and Nico, to an extent) acts like a teenage girl, and I'd rather they both DNF the last few races and Daniel Ric wins them all and the WDC. A guy can dream, ha.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
-I wouldn't say that he was nowhere near him, but he shouldn't have asked to be let through.
-Rosberg had been locking up there all weekend, it's just a sheer bad luck for Hamilton it happened then.

Hamilton (and Nico, to an extent) acts like a teenage girl, and I'd rather they both DNF the last few races and Daniel Ric wins them all and the WDC. A guy can dream, ha.

This. Danny Ric or Massa... poor Felipe can't get a break.

tbh it's a typical fanboyism to say that Nico locked up intentionally in Monaco.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
The lack of communication between them in the post race podium room is evidence enough that they are both immature children racing v6 turbos on a track. Man up, compete and show your colleagues some respect. I hope any of the teams can produce a competitive car next season. The attitudes of Nico and Lewis this season leaves much to be desired for Motorsport.

iHackPro

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2014
DFW, TX
I'm just really hoping that Williams produces a strong car next year, even better than what they have now, and enough to keep up or get ahead slightly of Red Bull, Mercedes, and Ferrari. I'm also hoping that the Renault, Ferrari, and Honda engines are strong, because we could have some great action with the top 5 or 6 teams easily competing for wins every race.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
This. Danny Ric or Massa... poor Felipe can't get a break.

tbh it's a typical fanboyism to say that Nico locked up intentionally in Monaco.

It didn't look like much of an effort to turn in tbh at Monaco.
I think it was a calculated decision.
All the drivers moan. It's part of the world we live in. As you may recal last year with my comments about Vettel only winning because he had the best car. I think 3 or 4 drivers could have one those titles in his position.
I think Hamilton and Alonso are the two best drivers on the track. They have both consistently beaten their team mates (the only fair comparison on the track) all year when given a trouble free car.
Personally I think Nico knows this won't be his year. Whatever the team says, things are still awkward between them (just look at the two of the, yesterday straight after the race).
And yes I would like to see a few other stronger teams next year. Nobody likes to see one team dominate as its not good for the sport.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I've been really impressed with how mature Hamilton has been over the past few months. He seems to have put his professionalism up a notch and has the mentality to really want this title. I've been disappointed with him in the past with many of his comments but he has impressed me lately. An easy win on Sunday in a very dull race. Nico is making so many mistakes this year and thankfully they have not all paid off like his one at Monaco.

Reliability will settle this title though as its far too close to call. Lewis has been the better driver this year, but Nico has taken advantage of the better luck with the best outcome. An exciting few races left and fingers crossed for Hamilton's second title. :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I've been really impressed with how mature Hamilton has been over the past few months. He seems to have put his professionalism up a notch and has the mentality to really want this title. I've been disappointed with him in the past with many of his comments but he has impressed me lately. An easy win on Sunday in a very dull race. Nico is making so many mistakes this year and thankfully they have not all paid off like his one at Monaco.

Reliability will settle this title though as its far too close to call. Lewis has been the better driver this year, but Nico has taken advantage of the better luck with the best outcome. An exciting few races left and fingers crossed for Hamilton's second title. :)

Finally somebody else not bashing Hamilton. I think he has made the best of the amazing car the he has had this year. He has had some bad luck. But he has bounced back. In previous years once his head went down, he never came back.
Either way its going to the wire which is good for us.

----------

What a monumentally boring race Russia was

Wrong tyres. I think it will be better next year when Pirelli have some better data.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Finally somebody else not bashing Hamilton. I think he has made the best of the amazing car the he has had this year. He has had some bad luck. But he has bounced back. In previous years once his head went down, he never came back.

i've not bashed him! i just like nico better.

that said, lewie has had a great season. imho he will be a fitting champion... again.

now if we can somehow squeeze a win in for mr bottas...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

i've not bashed him! i just like nico better.

that said, lewie has had a great season. imho he will be a fitting champion... again.

now if we can somehow squeeze a win in for mr bottas...

Now I could get behind that!
Comes across as a really nice guy. Quite humble.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Caterham and Marussia to miss the US Grand Prix. Surly the writing's on the wall for both of them.
A shame for all those involved. Hopefully some finance will be forthcoming.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I really wonder if the edict for 2015 will be 3-car teams and that's why Alonso hasn't said anything - he may be staying put!

If the back markers drop out of F1, surely we can't have 16-18 car grids...

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
i think one of the issues is no testing and locked engines.

although in the intentions this should have favored competitiveness and lowered costs, in practice it has worked in the opposite direction, favoring huge gaps between teams, which cannot be filled because there is no testing.
which ever team starts the season with the superior package, is almost locked in.

furthermore testing events can be economically important for small teams, who can get some exposure and sponsor money (plus cool for the fans who get to see the cars at affordable prices)

solution: extra testing based on reversed constructor standings.
add 2 or 3 extra testing periods each season, based on the points earned till then: the lower the points the more hours of testing awarded, based on some reasonable algorithm.
the team in the lead does not get to go to this extra sessions at all.

closes the tech gap between the teams, without introducing gimmicks.

and the increased competitiveness would eventually benefit everyone

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
^ I like it.

Sandy tracks, street tracks, rain washed track?

Mandatory practice for all with free tires... rubber it in, get the crap off the track.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I really wonder if the edict for 2015 will be 3-car teams and that's why Alonso hasn't said anything - he may be staying put!

If the back markers drop out of F1, surely we can't have 16-18 car grids...

This is what Bernie wants, but can you really see Lotus or Sauber affording a third car? 2015 is too early for this, but when you have one team dominating, do you really want to see the podium all driving the same car? Plus team orders could get confusing. Also most tracks won't have the capacity in their pit garages.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Marussia have now gone into administration. There is talk of a buyer, but not sure if things will move fast enough. Either way, I'm sure more people will be losing their jobs. Real shame.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
i think one of the issues is no testing and locked engines.

although in the intentions this should have favored competitiveness and lowered costs, in practice it has worked in the opposite direction, favoring huge gaps between teams, which cannot be filled because there is no testing.
which ever team starts the season with the superior package, is almost locked in.

furthermore testing events can be economically important for small teams, who can get some exposure and sponsor money (plus cool for the fans who get to see the cars at affordable prices)

solution: extra testing based on reversed constructor standings.
add 2 or 3 extra testing periods each season, based on the points earned till then: the lower the points the more hours of testing awarded, based on some reasonable algorithm.
the team in the lead does not get to go to this extra sessions at all.

closes the tech gap between the teams, without introducing gimmicks.

and the increased competitiveness would eventually benefit everyone

I don't think there should be rules that require the tech gap to be any closer than it is already. Let the teams innovate a bit; not much, but a bit. It is, after all, about the team as a whole - not necessarily the driver. Or else the whole team wouldn't be penalized for the driver's mistake, and vise versa.

So, a little, but not too much. McLaren using the brake steer thing was ingenious. Let them do that kinda stuff again. Penalizing a team because they do well shouldn't be allowed in my view. It's a high end, expensive sport. If you can't compete, you don't compete.

...unless you're just randomly penalizing Ferrari or Mercedes. :D

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
2014 Formula 1 Thread

Sadly I don't think there is going to be a nice outcome from his accident. From everything I have read and to doctor friends I have spoken to, it looks like he'll either wake up (slim chance) and be in a vegetative state for the rest of his life or his family will have the option to turn off his life support. I can't imagine what they are going through. I keep seeing discussion across the internet about what Jules will do once he recovers and I don't think everybody has grasped the magnitude of what has happened. An awful set of circumstances for a lad who had only really just begun his F1 career. I had expected interest from major teams within the next couple of years. I'd love to see a miracle here. :(

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
I don't think there should be rules that require the tech gap to be any closer than it is already. Let the teams innovate a bit; not much, but a bit. It is, after all, about the team as a whole - not necessarily the driver. Or else the whole team wouldn't be penalized for the driver's mistake, and vise versa.

So, a little, but not too much. McLaren using the brake steer thing was ingenious. Let them do that kinda stuff again. Penalizing a team because they do well shouldn't be allowed in my view. It's a high end, expensive sport. If you can't compete, you don't compete.

...unless you're just randomly penalizing Ferrari or Mercedes. :D

but the point it is to allow a bit more of the innovation during the season.
right now a team doesn't get the car right from the get go, they are basically screwed. especially for the small teams that is nearly impossible, so the gap becomes bigger, not smaller.
and if you think the gap between the top teams and the small one is not huge, i think we are watching different races.

i don't know. i keep muttering to my kids the mantra that hard works pays off and "practice, practice, practice" to get things right, but if you are not allowed to practice...

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
^^ It is really sad about Bianchi; especially considering that the damn tractor should never have been out there in the first place, at least not in those circs, and secondly the race should have called much earlier due to the rain. What really sucks is that as soon as there's his crash then they end the race. :(

By the same token, I've seen places saying "ooh, F1 is the MOST DANGEROUS sport! Blah blah blah!" from nitwits who don't look at the problems of over-medicated elderly drivers on our everyday roads but say nothing. F1 is far, far from the most dangerous sport. As safety goes, it's one of the best.

but the point it is to allow a bit more of the innovation during the season.
right now a team doesn't get the car right from the get go, they are basically screwed.

Ah, I see where you're going now. Yeah, I agree it's pretty tight once the season officially starts. I guess my response was that there shouldn't be any coddling of "small teams" - it's a very pricey sport to engage in; Big names and big performers get big money; so you either money up or go home... But, when it comes to whining, the bigger teams are the worst. Mercedes goes Wah wah wah when a minor little thing gets by and Sauber completely rolls a car and doesn't say a thing. They should get a free point or two just on principle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.