Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Since so many people seem to hate the new ones I wrote a script to install the old folder icons in Yosemite. This is mainly for those who are not tech savvy or just didn't have a copy of the old CoreTypes bundle.

Link : Download

What it looks like :

OqA2LSj.png

Code :
Code:
#!/bin/bash

# -- Information --
# Maintained By : Wolfgang Baird
# Version : 1.0.1
# Updated : Aug / 18 / 2014

scriptDirectory=$(cd "${0%/*}" && echo $PWD)
old_icons="$scriptDirectory"/icons

clear
echo -e "-- Information --\n\
Maintained By : Wolfgang Baird\n\
Version : 1.0.0\n\
Updated : Aug / 18 / 2014\n\n\
This script requires that you enter your password to continue"
sudo -v
clear
echo -e "Checking for backup."
if [[ ! -e /System/Library/CoreServices/.CoreTypes.bundle.old ]]; then
	echo -e "No backup detected...\n"
	echo -e "Backup existing CoreTypes bundle."
	sudo cp -rf /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle  /System/Library/CoreServices/.CoreTypes.bundle.old
	echo -e "Moving new files."
	sudo cp -rf "$old_icons"/ /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/
else
	echo -e "Backup detected!/n"
	echo -n "Would you like to restore from it now? (y/n): "
	read res_me
	if [[ $res_me = "y" ]]; then
		echo -e "Replacing CoreTypes bundle with backup"
		sudo rm -rf /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle
		sudo mv /System/Library/CoreServices/.CoreTypes.bundle.old /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle
	else 
		exit
	fi
fi

echo -e "Clearing icon caches."
sudo find /private/var/folders/ -name com.apple.dock.iconcache -exec rm {} \;
sudo find /private/var/folders/ -name com.apple.iconservices -exec rm -rf {} \;
sudo rm -r /Library/Caches/com.apple.iconservices.store
#sudo mv /Library/Caches/com.apple.iconservices.store com.apple.ic

# Prompt for reboot
echo -e "Done!"
echo -e "Now all you need to do is reboot for changes to take effect.\n"
echo -n "Would you like to reboot now? (y/n): "	
read rb_now
if [[ $rb_now = "y" ]]; then sudo reboot; fi

Last edited:

woodenbrain

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
Doesn't work on Yosemite 10.10.0, but…

Count me among the haters of the Microsoft blue.

This application does not seem to work on Yosemite 10.10 (release). It bounces and opens a terminal window but nothing further. (Effort appreciated anyway).

However, looking at the script itself, and using the resources in your package, I can achieve the intended effect. You could do pretty much do this without knowing terminal. What you're doing is just replacing .icns files after making a backup of their containing bundle, clearing system icon caches, and rebooting.

The process would be more or less as follows:

1. show package contents on the downloaded "YCF" file from above. Navigate to Contents>Resources>icons. *

2. open another Finder window and use the "Go To Folder" command to go to:
/System/Library/CoreServices/

3. Backup the file: CoreTypes.bundle (put the backup anywhere safe, including that directory with another name, indicating it is the original 10.10 bundle. wolf's script makes it an invisible file called ".CoreTypes.bundle.old")

4. show package contents on that file and navigate to Contents>Resources/

5. copy the desired icon replacements from Step 1 to replace equivalents in Step 4.

6. clear icon caches. there are cache cleaning utilities that can do this, or you can copy and paste into terminal the 3 lines under 'echo -e "Clearing icon caches."' one at a time. **

7. reboot.

You'll need to authenticate a lot. To restore, just delete the entire CoreTypes.bundle file and replace with backup. Clear icon caches same way and reboot.

* If you have access to a 10.9.x system, you could instead get the .icns resources from the CoreTypes.bundle on that system.

** note the second command generated an error for me, but didn't seem to matter.

Last edited:

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
I thought you'd be the guy with the Superman avatar around here. LOL cool wallpaper

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Count me among the haters of the Microsoft blue.

This application does not seem to work on Yosemite 10.10 (release). It bounces and opens a terminal window but nothing further. (Effort appreciated anyway).

Did you read the terminal window? That's what it's supposed to do.

Lucianrider

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
St. Lucia, West Indies
It worked nicely for me on 10.10, I was a little concerned because it threw a few lines about not finding certain files but after reboot the old icons are back, unfortunately the Parallels Applications icon is the new one still....

If I want to go back is the app file just run again??

Thanks Wolf!!

HenryH

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2010
Thanks guys. I can relax again now.

For those who what to change individual App icons back also and have a backup of your old OS around, I wrote a script to do that for yous (and me), with some help from Wolfgang's script above.

You can download the script from here.

The script goes through every App in your old OS's Applications folder and if the same App exists in your current Applications folder it will replace any icons it finds in it with the old ones. It does not create a backup, but does ask for confirmation of each overwrite.

Last edited:

HenryH

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2010
To replace the finder icons also...

Edit: I've removed the code - its all available in the new script instead.

Last edited:

HenryH

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2010
Below are more terminal commands for restoring the old Dock icons including the Trash Can.

Edit: I've removed the code - its all available in the new script instead.

Last edited:

HenryH

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2010
The script above now replaces the folder icons, app icons, finder icon and dock icons, all in one, without backing up anything, but requiring confirmation of all actions.

The last major thing that needs to be done IMO is the ugly flat maximize, minimize and close buttons, but I can't figure out how to do this yet. Any ideas anyone?

daverose1

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
Thanks Henry - worked for me - appreciated. And it was nice at the end to have a choice which icons could be restored to Mavericks and which you wanted to keep as per Yosemite.

Last edited:

HaruAoki

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
Australia
You can also use a software called "LiteIcon" it allows you to change all icons on the computer and with a click of the button change them back.

usego

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
Hi

thats what i search but unter 10.02 it wont work ! the script run and after choising Reboot the hole system crash stop reply no more thin g can be sone i have to push teh Power button !!

is there also a cashe for dock icons to Make it back to MArvericks ?

thanks a lot

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Hi

thats what i search but under 10.10.2 it wont work! The script ran and after choosing Reboot the whole system crashed. No more thing can be done. I have to push the power button!

Is there also a cache for dock icons to Make it back to Mavericks?

Thanks a lot.

Not sure I quite understand what you're asking/saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.