Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Mine came via UPS yesterday, and my wife said she was fine with her Air 1. After a few minutes, I showed her the laminated display. She sat there for about five minutes, and told me to order another one....LOL! She just picked it up a few minutes ago, on her way to a convention.

Battery life is good: 46% with 8hrs 20min usage, 18 hrs 25 min standby. Mostly web browsing, with brightness set to around 40%. Oh yeah, I did use Google maps for a while, to look at the terrain around her convention....and around some other places.

I was a bit concerned when I noticed that the Air 2 could be flexed last night. In fact, I woke up feeling a bit uneasy about it. Using a surface I know is dead flat, and a plastic drafting straight edge, I was surprised to see that my Air 1 had a concave bend on the screen side, and the Air 2 was nearly flat. My Air 1 didn't seem to flex much last might, but it certainly did this morning. It's no longer an issue, and I'm loving the thinner size. The Air 1 feels thick now...:confused:

The terrain around her convention? Are you a sniper?

cindaddy

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm just worried if it happens just by holding it normally.

I wish they were here so I could check. It'll probably be another month. Who knows.

I haven't seen it yet with normal holding and no case. I don't put a death grip on it, though. Very happy with the Air 2.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I'm on my second now - both with a dead pixel. Definitely giving up now and both have the screen distortion when any pressure however light is applied to the back.

Awesome performance but pants design. And quality.

tom123

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
Gold

Phone1 ... I got the gold version and I like it. Not too in your face but it will stand out in a crowd"

Gold on the back, white on the front. But the white seems to turn a light brown when turned on. Nice. (or is it just me, -- anyone else notice this?)

Wise87

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
First Impressions From Air 2 Owners TODAY

Funny how everyone is saying "My Air looks so big and chunky" compared to the Air 2. I would understand if you said compared to the iPad 4 and below. Too Funny.

HowlinAl

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Does the screen distort if you hold it or put pressure on the back?

After reading this, I tried it. Yes, you can make it distort. But you've got to press on it pretty darn hard. Much, much harder than I would ever press on it in normal use. I had to press in on the back hard enough that I felt a little guilty about it

----------

Yep, but I found mine was getting hot only when installing apps. For casual browsing it's mostly fine.

Maybe I haven't worked mine hard enough yet, but I'm finding it to be less warm than my iPad 4 so far.

----------

You hang here too? ;-)

I suspect the heat is normal considering that restoring your device means downloading dozens (or more) apps with simultaneous wi-fi, cpu app installations, data restores etc. mine was warm during restore but cool in normal operation.

Can't speak to the screen issues as I don't notice any, but I do suspect that the anti-glare coating actually results in some odd brightness shifts when tilting the device about 15 degrees in any direction.

That kind of heat doesn't sound normal to me. "Blazing"? Really? I've restored a backup, installed a bunch of apps, etc. and my Air 2 hasn't gotten noticeably warm at all. Less warm than my old iPad 4 certainly. Maybe I haven't pushed mine hard enough yet, but if yours is getting that hot I'd suspect a problem.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I've owned every single iPad since Apple started making them. Also owned several Android tablets (Galaxy, Nexus, etc). Even have a Dell Venue.

The iPad 2 is the best tablet Apple has ever made. And the best one I've ever owned. By far.

Good job Apple.

ttNB

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Nor' Jersey & New York (Twi-State)
I've owned every single iPad since Apple started making them. Also owned several Android tablets (Galaxy, Nexus, etc). Even have a Dell Venue.

The iPad 2 is the best tablet Apple has ever made. And the best one I've ever owned. By far.

Good job Apple.

The only one I didn't have was the iPad 2. The air 2 is a very nice iPad. I really did like the iPad 4th gen. It was a sturdy solid body, and a great performer. The 1st gen and 3rd gen were slightly limited either by RAM or by processor power. They've made a very good iPad this time around. With most of our interests in mind.:cool:

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
I just picked up mine yesterday at my local Apple Store, with patience I waited for the cellular ones to be available for pick up and it pay off, its available almost in every Store. Now about the product. The screen its great, one thing to notice, it is definitely really bright, so at 40 or 50 % it's more than enough. It is really fast, only problem so far, today i was watching the English Premier League on the NBC Sports app, and it froze completely for 30 or 40 seconds. Other than that, great. I'm Keeping a close eye on the battery, I left it today at 83% with 2 hours and 10 minutes of use (watching live tv, playing some games and browsing the internet). By the way, the only time it got a little bit hot was when i was downloading apps, kinda weird. Also the 200 MB free with T-Mobile was a breeze, so easy. Conclusion, so far so good, much much better than the iPad 3 that i had. I hope all this help you guys. First post here.

clunkmess

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
California
Well to be honest, the sound is like a downgrade from my original iPad Air.:confused:

The Apple SIM is probably the nicest feature. I have T-Mobile's $10 dollar 5gb for 5 months plan, which includes personal hotspot!

And I like how they got rid of the physical mute toggle switch! Just one less thing to fiddle with.

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
iPad Air 2 excellent so far

I got my (space gray 64gb) iPad yesterday and so far no issues other than getting t-mo LTE activated with the Apple sim. (Which has been resolved as of this morning).

No visible flaws on the screen, everything flies, no significant heat even while installing lots of apps/updates. The weight/dimensions don't feel significantly different from original air, but I think the screen is noticeably better. Not "OMG jaw dropping" better, but more "oooo, that looks sweet" better.

Having fingerprint unlock lets me indulge my lazy side and do w/o a passcode. Vibrations from the speaker were annoying at first but I'm growing used to that quickly, so don't think it'll be a long term annoyance.

All in all very happy with it!

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
I just picked up mine yesterday at my local Apple Store, with patience I waited for the cellular ones to be available for pick up and it pay off, its available almost in every Store. Now about the product. The screen its great, one thing to notice, it is definitely really bright, so at 40 or 50 % it's more than enough. It is really fast, only problem so far, today i was watching the English Premier League on the NBC Sports app, and it froze completely for 30 or 40 seconds. Other than that, great. I'm Keeping a close eye on the battery, I left it today at 83% with 2 hours and 10 minutes of use (watching live tv, playing some games and browsing the internet). By the way, the only time it got a little bit hot was when i was downloading apps, kinda weird. Also the 200 MB free with T-Mobile was a breeze, so easy. Conclusion, so far so good, much much better than the iPad 3 that i had. I hope all this help you guys. First post here.
No right screen distortion while holding it gate?

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
Not at all, very happy about that. One thing, the screen still takes a lot of fingerprints marks
Hmm

It's about 50/50 so far for the distortion holding gate.

When is it getting to Thailand! I have to check this thing in person.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
I got my (space gray 64gb) iPad yesterday and so far no issues other than getting t-mo LTE activated with the Apple sim. (Which has been resolved as of this morning).

!

My iPad arrived yesterday.
This thing rocks. I was ready to throw my old IPad 2 against the wall, so it came just in time,

I picked up a sim this last week from T-Mobile before my iPad arrived.
I added the $10 same as phone data plan. Great deal.

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
My iPad arrived yesterday.
This thing rocks. I was ready to throw my old IPad 2 against the wall, so it came just in time,

I picked up a sim this last week from T-Mobile before my iPad arrived.
I added the $10 same as phone data plan. Great deal.

You don't need a SIM card from T-Mobile, the One coming with the iPad Will do it

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
You don't need a SIM card from T-Mobile, the One coming with the iPad Will do it
I wasn't aware of that at the time. So, I got one anyway. And I already and a T-Mobiel account for our phones. So, activation was 2 minutes.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I got the chance to unbox both the air 2 and the mini 3 next to my air 1 and WOW dos the air 2 feel superior. It's not even that much lighter than before, but because it's so thin it gives the perception of lightness. Very clever. The mini 3 feels like the ugly duckling now though. Because of its small size, it feels short and fat next to the air 2.

Safari was my first test, and even with 15 tabs open, they still didn't need to reload when I went back to them 12 hours later.

The air 2 feels much better than the air 1 than it is in reality, which is an impressive trait in its own right. Add to that, the gold version looks stunning.

Sep 4, 2014
N/A
Got my 64gb wifi- Noticeably thinner than Air 1. Marginally lighter. Safari still refreshes tabs and I had 5 tabs open and no other apps running.

Will say that I played a couple games on it and it didn't lag at all. It hauls ass.

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
Air2

I went to pick up my pre-ordered 64gig space gray wi-fi and I was hoping to exchange it for a 128gig space gray. No problem, and it is great. I pre-ordered a Poetic slimline case for @10.00 and a case made of (rubber) for @10.00. I got a e-mail from Poetic and they said they were going to send me a replacement because there were complaints about pushing the buttons was alittle harder to do. They said to just keep the first one when it arrives. (this is the second time this has happened) great CO. I picked up a iPad air1 smart cover (Apple) untill my other one arrives.
I am waiting for the Zagg Rugged Fiolo to come out for the Air2. I have one for my rmini and I love it. Best all-around case I have used yet. Its heavy when they are all together, but they are so versatile and has 4 ways to use it.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
I got the chance to unbox both the air 2 and the mini 3 next to my air 1 and WOW dos the air 2 feel superior. It's not even that much lighter than before, but because it's so thin it gives the perception of lightness. Very clever. The mini 3 feels like the ugly duckling now though. Because of its small size, it feels short and fat next to the air 2.

Safari was my first test, and even with 15 tabs open, they still didn't need to reload when I went back to them 12 hours later.

The air 2 feels much better than the air 1 than it is in reality, which is an impressive trait in its own right. Add to that, the gold version looks stunning.
How's your #distortiongate?

I think from now on it should be a requirement

1) does the vibration bother you
2) #distortiongate

Steveh2780

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Uk
Loving my new iPad air 2 space grey 128gb, it's awesome. My favourite aspects are the thinness, weight and it speed. I've upgraded from the air and I feel it was worth it. Sold my air for a good price a week prior to the air2's release and I'm glad I did. Space grey this time which looks really sleek with the Touch ID

BlackMamba14

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Is there any other iOS product that has similar vibration? I never felt anything on the original Air or iPhone 6 Plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.