Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
TouchID is a major convenience - to some, it might be worth $100, and at least will increase the resale value of the iPad Mini come the iPad Mini 4 (if we ever see one). . .

Agreed. If I didn't already own a mini 2 I'd seriously consider getting it.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Whether by luck or by design, Apple got the form factor of the mini perfect as I'm concerned. If it were half an inch taller or wider, it wouldn't fit easily in a suit jacket pocket the way it does now. Any smaller and for me at least it wouldn't be comfortable for reading PDF's. I've kept an eye out on similar size Android tablets, but so far I haven't seen one I'd want to use instead, and on top of that, I don't know if the software support for viewing and annotating pdf documents on Android would be as good. I choose a tablet based on how well it meets my needs and requirements, not necessarily if it's on the cutting edge. For now at least that's still the iPad mini, though I try to keep an open mind.

Everything you are saying resonates very well with me. I too think Apple nailed the form factor of the Mini at 7.9 inch in a 4:3 aspect. The size to me is very useful for the Web, PDF's, etc, etc, etc... Personally, I'd love to see Apple shave off some weight to make it even easier to handhold than it already is. Maybe next year!

I know everyone has different needs and things they value. For me, it's mostly about the display and the Mini's display falls well short of the mark for me. Personally, I'm moving on from the Mini after using them extensively for the past 2 years.

It's going to be tough to find a replacement for the Mini. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm planning to give the Nexus 9 a try (already pre-ordered). If the Air 2 turns out to have 2G Ram, I may decide to go "bigger" and get it.....although I really prefer a smaller tablet! Tough choices!

----------

Whether by luck or by design, Apple got the form factor of the mini perfect as I'm concerned. If it were half an inch taller or wider, it wouldn't fit easily in a suit jacket pocket the way it does now. Any smaller and for me at least it wouldn't be comfortable for reading PDF's. I've kept an eye out on similar size Android tablets, but so far I haven't seen one I'd want to use instead, and on top of that, I don't know if the software support for viewing and annotating pdf documents on Android would be as good. I choose a tablet based on how well it meets my needs and requirements, not necessarily if it's on the cutting edge. For now at least that's still the iPad mini, though I try to keep an open mind.

Everything you are saying resonates very well with me. I too think Apple nailed the form factor of the Mini at 7.9 inch in a 4:3 aspect. The size to me is very useful for the Web, PDF's, etc, etc, etc... Personally, I'd love to see Apple shave off some weight to make it even easier to handhold than it already is. Maybe next year!

I know everyone has different needs and things they value. For me, it's mostly about the display and the Mini's display falls well short of the mark for me. Personally, I'm moving on from the Mini after using them extensively for the past 2 years.

It's going to be tough to find a replacement for the Mini. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm planning to give the Nexus 9 a try (already pre-ordered). If the Air 2 turns out to have 2G Ram, I may decide to go "bigger" and get it.....although I really prefer a smaller tablet! Tough choices!

stretch80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Michigan
Well, Many of you will think I'm crazy but I ended up ordering an Air 2 and then returned it to Apple store and getting the Mini 3. I even had the Mini 2. I guess I wasn't ready to give up the Mini's size. Plus I don't get too crazy with gaming or other things that require higher performance. The touch ID and size was enough to keep me.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Unless I'm missing something, the only thing the iPad mini 3 has that the mini 2 doesn't is Touch ID, a feature I don't need or want. I'm still happy with my original iPad mini, but if I were going to get a new one, it would be the mini 2. My old eyes can't see any difference between mine and the retina display, so I'm not even in a rush for that reason.

I've ben debating back & forth on if I should upgrade my original Mini or not. Like you, I didn't think the Mini 3 was worth it. But I did find the rMini2 64gb wifi/cellular for $449. Should I go for it? Amazon is offering up $236 for a trade in so I'm happy to take that.

Part of me just wants to hold out for the Mini 4, if there is one. The other part of me thinks Apple is going to kill this line. :(

----------

64GB and 128GB storage are exclusive to iPad Mini 3. The iPad Mini 2 comes only in 16GB and 32GB.

----------

Also, unless you require 64GB and 128GB; both of which are only available on the iPad Mini 3 new from Apple.

Not true. Refurbs but that hardly matters.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...pad-mini-2-wi-fi-cellular-for-att-64gb-silver

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...ad-mini-2-wi-fi-cellular-for-att-128gb-silver

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've ben debating back & forth on if I should upgrade my original Mini or not. Like you, I didn't think the Mini 3 was worth it. But I did find the rMini2 64gb wifi/cellular for $449. Should I go for it? Amazon is offering up $236 for a trade in so I'm happy to take that.
Only you can determine if you'll be happy with that model. If you need/want it and the cost is right for you, do it.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Prefer the more manageable size but without the 2GB DRAM and A8X of iPad Air 2, no.

DaCurmudgen

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
If it's your first iPad Mini, go for it. If you own the previous Mini with Retina, you are a fool for purchasing this.

Agree with this. Moreover, unless Touch ID is really important to you, you can get the mini 2 for $100 less or a refurbished Retina mini for even greater savings and not have to sacrifice on performance or a majority of features.

As a Retina mini owner, I can tell you it is an awesome tablet, but this year's mini really didn't bring it like the iPad Air 2.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
Prior to the keynote, I was planning on getting Mini 3 to upgrade from the mini first gen both for more storage, Touch ID, and a faster processor. Granted it's not A8 nor A8X, but I'm still sticking with my plan.

The only reason to get a Mini 3 is if you need a lot of storage. That's about all the difference there is.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
i really wanted to buy the mini 3 this year. but i'm so disappointed in the "upgrade", that i can't buy it. i really thought they would stop making it inferior after last year...

gonna vote with my wallet. i want it to stay on the shelves to make them realize they made a mistake. sadly its probably going to sell well anyway.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
i really wanted to buy the mini 3 this year. but i'm so disappointed in the "upgrade", that i can't buy it. i really thought they would stop making it inferior after last year...

gonna vote with my wallet. i want it to stay on the shelves to make them realize they made a mistake. sadly its probably going to sell well anyway.

Same here. Quite disappointed. I instead ordered a Mini 2 32GB and saved some money.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I wonder if it's possible that Apple would release an iPad mini 4 next yr early like say May or June?

I seriously was going to order the iPad mini 3 but I don't want gold and I'm not paying an extra $100.00 just for touch ID. Apple thinks everyone will just get the iPad Air 2 but I don't want that big of an iPad. So my only choice is the Mini 2 w/ Retina (new or refurb) or waiting it out till Oct 2015. Both of these are not great options.

Mechayoshi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
The Mushroom Kingdom
It's pretty sad how last year the iPad Air 1 and mini 2 were pretty much neck and neck. Now it's obvious which tablet Apple likes better. Also every aspect of the air 2 is an upgrade and yet with this we get Touch ID for the mini and that's all?

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
maybe they just can't deliver enough A8 chips, with the iphone6/6+ and air 2 launch....

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
The big appeal of the mini 3 that I think we miss - memory price reduction. Now a 128 costs what a 64 used to cost etc, that is the big thing for me. I would be tempted to go for a 128, but likely will wait it out till the mini sees 2 gig ram, be that one or two years. My a7 mini is still super fast for all I use it for and can still (as far as I'm aware) run every app on the App Store.

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
I was in the market for tablet. Wans waiting for mini upgrade. Since upgrade was not that dramatic, I just bought iPad rMini 32gb from target and called it a day.

DaCurmudgen

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
The only reason to get a Mini 3 is if you need a lot of storage. That's about all the difference there is.

I was just looking at the refurbished mini 2's and you can get 64 or 128s for a good deal. The same model as my mini 2 (64GB Wifi & LTE) is nearly $300 less than brand new a year ago. However, a new mini 3 with the same spec is also $100 less than an equivalent mini 2 from a year ago.

In retrospect, it seems like iPad 2 owners probably got the most use out of their device if they bought it at launch. Personally, I rarely hit the right stride on buying Apple products. I bought an iPad 3 at launch, and even though I love the tablet and my family still uses it, I felt unloved by Apple with the bait and switch that occurred with the iPad 4. I still have to carry around a 30 pin cable to make sure we have a charger for the iPad 3.

I feel like getting the mini 2 at launch gave me a full year of using the same tablet Apple is selling now without Touch ID and Apple Pay. I think that is the big upgrade with the mini 3, and for some consumers that is a huge benefit. I get Apple Pay when I upgrade my phone, which will be more convenient for me.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
Mini 3 is a pathetic "upgrade." It simply isn't an upgrade. All they did was add the gold color! Once they were released, however, the refurb Mini 2's had a great price drop. Picked up a 32 GB Mini 2 refurb for my wife for $299. That's a great price! :) :apple:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
The major advantage of the mini was probably its weight.

Now that we have the iPad Air 2, the only thing that iPad mini has over iPad Air 2 is a smaller screen size.

Now there may be a market for a screen size that is larger than iphone 6 plus but smaller than iPad Air 2 but I doubt its a big market.

I believe Apple made those tablets just for people who are too stingy to pay a $100 in price difference, because those who wish for a smaller screen are probably e-book readers and they are simply better off with the Amazon Kindle.

Even people who got kids are better off with Amazon Kindle because its only $150 while ipad mini (original, cheapest iPad) is still $250.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The major advantage of the mini was probably its weight.

Now that we have the iPad Air 2, the only thing that iPad mini has over iPad Air 2 is a smaller screen size.

Now there may be a market for a screen size that is larger than iphone 6 plus but smaller than iPad Air 2 but I doubt its a big market.

I believe Apple made those tablets just for people who are too stingy to pay a $100 in price difference, because those who wish for a smaller screen are probably e-book readers and they are simply better off with the Amazon Kindle.

Even people who got kids are better off with Amazon Kindle because its only $150 while ipad mini (original, cheapest iPad) is still $250.

The mini is more portable. Some people will prefer that over the larger air. Granted I've only used the original iPad Air but it just isn't as comfortable to carry around as the mini.

The mini I can put in my bag without question. When I had the air I would have to think about where I was going and if I thought I needed to take it/would be worth taking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.