Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplNat

macrumors member
May 18, 2013
No regrets at all, not for a second. Best laptop I've ever owned, bar none, and I've owned a bunch of Windoze version laptops over the last 20 yrs. MBA Purchased in 2013 June, 13" 8G RAM, 256GB SSD. Now running Yosemite.

I love my MacBook Air so much I'd marry it if I could. I'd really like a 2nd one but am waiting to see what is released next in 2015.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Another vote for no regrets. The MBA is easily the best computer I have ever owned, fast, light, ultra portable, stable, and utterly reliable.

I have had one since 2010, and ordered a CTO maxed out 13" last year as the 2010 model was beginning to show its age and I had found that 2 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD were no longer sufficient for my needs.

While my current computer (13" MBA, 512 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM Core i7) is easily the best that I have ever had, it is the form factor (wonderful) and its fantastic SSD drive that won me over. I travel a lot, and portability - without sacrificing speed, performance, and space - matter, and the MBA delivers hugely on this. Moreover, the 2013 model has superb battery duration - one can easily work for an entire day and not need a power outlet nearby.

Indeed, I like the form factor so much that - as long as it is available - I expect that I will have one, as it is by far the best computer I have ever had.

DogBreath99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Went with the MB Air 13 inch ....over the Retina ....

First off it came down to the 11 inch the 13 ....that 11 is pretty damn cool just not sure it can be trusted for everyday use with my eyes...

The Keyboard on the 13 is magnificent .....the KB on the Retina has that lip - that bothered me ....

Got an Open Box 13 at Best Buy for an absurd $715 also $50 off with edu email....

Unreal - machine is pristine - looks as if someone bought it opened and returned ...

In any event ...the price of the new 13 is actually less than the 11 right now at BB ....so they took 15% off plus the $50....

I couldn't pass it up ....I couldn't live with myself paying another 500-600 for retina .....

I actually found the MBA screen brighter ? am I wrong ? but another guy there said the same. Yes the Retina is "richer" but pure pop of whites seemed to be better on the MBA ...

Now for a sleeve/ case.

Thanx for your help - this forum sealed it for me as well as a number sites listing the MBA still the best pound for pound laptop over everything ...

Roland P

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
I have the 11" air and I think it's the ultimate couch-laptop.

I was considering the other models too (13" retina and air), but went for maximum portability instead and I've not regretted for a second. Screen is ok too, although I prefer a taller 16:10 aspect ratio. But that would make the laptop also bigger I guess, so it's perfect the way it is.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I'm between the Air and the MBP Retina both 13' ....

I'm drawn by that screen but love the thinness of the Air .....

Thoughts?

I bought the 2010 11" MBA the day it came out. My only regret since then is that I waited so long to get a Haswell MBA.

Locoman

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
No regrets at all, not for a second. Best laptop I've ever owned, bar none, and I've owned a bunch of Windoze version laptops over the last 20 yrs. MBA Purchased in 2013 June, 13" 8G RAM, 256GB SSD. Now running Yosemite.

I love my MacBook Air so much I'd marry it if I could. I'd really like a 2nd one but am waiting to see what is released next in 2015.

I CAN'T AGREE MORE. In fact recently bought one for my wife (got tired of having to fix her Windows note book on a weekly basis) and every day, she tells me how much she like's hers MBA.

DogBreath99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
I have the 11" air and I think it's the ultimate couch-laptop.

I was considering the other models too (13" retina and air), but went for maximum portability instead and I've not regretted for a second. Screen is ok too, although I prefer a taller 16:10 aspect ratio. But that would make the laptop also bigger I guess, so it's perfect the way it is.

Over 1k for a couch laptop is absurd though,you can get an iPad ..

Can you use it for work ? Everyday ?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013

The 11" mba doesn't cost 1k.
i have a 13" mba and rmbp at home and I can confirm the statements above. the mba is superb. there is numerous advantages to the rmbp though. i would go for the retina if you work with visual media! massive difference.

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
My 11" MBA replaced an iPad, which I thoroughly hated for the three years I owned it. I MBA is my travel companion, a real computer, not a toy. I luv mine.

Lou
Same story here! Couldn't do crap with my iPad, glad I got this 11-inch beauty. Doing all my school stuff with it, including heavy spreadsheets, coding, etc.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
I have no regrets about my 11" MBA.

3 years in, I am starting to regret not getting a larger SSD drive, I keep running out of space.

I do cycle files in and out, but I use my MBA for so much it's starting to become a hassle. My MBA has almost replaced my desktop completely.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Love MBA

I have the 11 MBA. It's an amazing computer. Perfect size and weight for on the go and the best little couch/recliner laptop.

I am stalking the refurb site now for another one, possibly a 13 inch MBA. I will buy 11 or 13 if the configuration I want becomes available.

Roland P

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014

I wanted a real computer instead of an ipad. The ipad was nice, but I wanted more, (coding, virtual machines, a real OS) so I got the 11" MBA.

I think I could use it for work, but I think my eyes will get tired, looking 8 hours a day at an 11" screen.

For work I have a 15" rmbp (not mine, it's from the company I work for), but a 13" rmbp would be fine also.

I think you can't go wrong with any of the MacBooks :D

abta1

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Paris, France
I've had my 2013 11" MBA for almost 10 months now and I have to say this is probably the best laptop, overall, that I have bought.

In the past I have had numerous windows laptops spanning back to when they were still running desktop CPUs. I've also had previous 15" MBPs but this Air is the one I like the most.

The form factor is perfect for me as it is light and features are small footprint. At the same time, it's powerful enough to be used as my main computer for all my everyday tasks, as well as some gaming too. When I'm home, I can hook it up to a monitor and when I travel, the battery life is superb.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I am quite pleased with my 13" loaded up MBA. It's my travel companion and is quite the workhorse. Much better than lugging around a big honkin' 15" way-too-heavy employer provided laptop.

DogBreath99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
I've had my 2013 11" MBA for almost 10 months now and I have to say this is probably the best laptop, overall, that I have bought.

In the past I have had numerous windows laptops spanning back to when they were still running desktop CPUs. I've also had previous 15" MBPs but this Air is the one I like the most.

The form factor is perfect for me as it is light and features are small footprint. At the same time, it's powerful enough to be used as my main computer for all my everyday tasks, as well as some gaming too. When I'm home, I can hook it up to a monitor and when I travel, the battery life is superb.

No eyestrain?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I have 75 year old eyes, and I have both types of Glaucoma and I experience no eyestrain on my 11" MBA.

Lou

MaxinMusicCity

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Nashville
Absolutely not. I initially bought a used 11" 2011 MacBook to sample the Apple laptop line. It worked so well that I still have it. I do intend to update to a newer model for the additional 4MB of Ram , a larger SSD drive, and a better processor. None-the-less, I am running Windows 7 and Yosemite on it!

Whether you choose a Macbook Air or a Pro is an individual decision, but most people will probably be pleased with the Air model. It's considerably more affordable and portable. :cool:

Last edited:

Lachhh

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Mainland Europe
Bought an Air a few years back, thought if I liked it enough I'd give my desktop rig away. The screen was too small to please me on a daily basis and it didn't quite have the hardware oomph to cover all my needs. Ended up re-selling after half a year.
It's a great machine, it just doesn't suit my needs. If or not it suits yours or not is something only you can determine.

paul43

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
San Antonio Tx
I've used windows all my life, and 4 days ago i purchased the Air, and I love it! although I wish the screen was 15' but that's no big deal.

John marts

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Not at all.

Coming from a 2012 mac mini, this laptop is a beast. For something that has half the ram and .9 ghz less from its processor (2.3 i5 vs a 1.4 i5) it really impresses me.

For basic web browsing and low power apps like pages, mail, iTunes, etc it is extremely fast. For apps that take more processor power like iphoto, iMovie, garageband it still handles them nearly flawlessly. something my mac mini can't do with double the ram and more processing power.

The gaming is also much better too with the hd5000 vs my old hd3000. I'm playing games much smoother now. My only complaint with that is the battery life is horrible when playing them.

This computer is overall more powerful than my 2 yr old desktop mini. Now I really only use this. Its a good thing the battery life is great too (other than paying games)

DogBreath99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Not at all.

Coming from a 2012 mac mini, this laptop is a beast. For something that has half the ram and .9 ghz less from its processor (2.3 i5 vs a 1.4 i5) it really impresses me.

For basic web browsing and low power apps like pages, mail, iTunes, etc it is extremely fast. For apps that take more processor power like iphoto, iMovie, garageband it still handles them nearly flawlessly. something my mac mini can't do with double the ram and more processing power.

The gaming is also much better too with the hd5000 vs my old hd3000. I'm playing games much smoother now. My only complaint with that is the battery life is horrible when playing them.

This computer is overall more powerful than my 2 yr old desktop mini. Now I really only use this. Its a good thing the battery life is great too (other than paying games)

What size ?

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Not at all.
Well, Apple's RAM compression is good, and paging is also very fast with the extremely fast SSD storage. And, ghz matters very little when comparing processors.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
Is 128gb really that bad a storage amount?

It depends on your needs. My MBA is a 4GB and 128 GB model, and it is fine, but I bought it as a secondary machine and not a primary one. I wanted to make sure I kept it lean. I also have a 128GB SD card I use to supplement the storage, but I never have used it.

Unless you can be very disciplined with your storage needs, you may prefer to wait a tad longer for at least 256GB.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Couldn't agree more. They are both magnificent machines.

The 11" mba doesn't cost 1k.
i have a 13" mba and rmbp at home and I can confirm the statements above. the mba is superb. there is numerous advantages to the rmbp though. i would go for the retina if you work with visual media! massive difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.