Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Tried pulling up some .NEF (Nikon Raw format picture files) off an SD card that reads fine on my work Windows 7 PC. I took the pictures this afternoon.

In previous versions they would read fine into iPhoto or Preview or Gimp or whatever on Mac OS X.

Today's shoot contained 9 pictures and they all read fine on the pc.

On the Mac weird things are afoot: only the first and the last picture display correctly, the remainder are all solid black except for one that is half of the image and the other half is black with some digital pixelization in the center.

Odd.

Can anyone with a Nikon D3200 with 1.03 firmware confirm similar issues? I was writing to a Class 10 64 gig memory card (the card was empty except for these 9 pictures).

When I attempted to open the black images in Preview or even the first or last image it would cause the GUI to hang on the computer. Very weird.

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
Tried pulling up some .NEF (Nikon Raw format picture files) off an SD card that reads fine on my work Windows 7 PC. I took the pictures this afternoon.

In previous versions they would read fine into iPhoto or Preview or Gimp or whatever on Mac OS X.

On the Mac weird things are afoot: only the first and the last picture display correctly, the remainder are all solid black except for one that is half of the image and the other half is black with some digital pixelization in the center.

Odd.

Can anyone with a Nikon D3200 with 1.03 firmware confirm similar issues? I was writing to a Class 10 64 gig memory card (the card was empty except for these 9 pictures).

When I attempted to open the black images in Preview or even the first or last image it would cause the GUI to hang on the computer. Very weird.

Just imported a bunch of D7000 photos from Class 10 64G SD card. Everything went fine.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
Update

I had some more time to experiment.

The files are eight 20 megabyte .NEF files.

Here's the weird thing:

-I copied the SD card with the original .NEF files to my Mac to a subdirectory. Using the Mac's SD card slot.

-I verified the first and last images were ok but all the others were black
except for the one that was half an image and half black.

-I took the same SD card to my work PC and copied the data to it. Using the PC's SD card slot.

-All pictures are fine.

-I then copied the subdirectory from the PC to the Mac to another subdirectory in case there's something about the SD reader in the PC that the SD card likes better.

-I looked at the pictures on the Mac and sure enough the first and last were fine and the rest were all black and there was the one shot where it was half image and half black with pixelization!

So it must be something to do with reading .NEF files on Yosemite since the exact same files that read fine when viewed on the PC looked odd on the Mac.

I'm going to do a little experiment with high res JPEGs in addition to the .NEF issues to see if anything similar occurs. I normally don't bother with JPEGS since I like to shoot raw but how odd.

Maybe I'll try a different class 10 SD card too. Just to rule out the card.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
Check this out

This is what I'm getting on my screen if I try to view .NEF files in iPhoto - it totally seems to crash iPhoto and mangles the gui so it won't do anything anymore.

If I view .JPGs from my iPhone or the like, it's fine.

See attached.

Attachments

• IMG_6290.JPG
    IMG_6290.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 436

Robotti

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
Probably no help to you, but I've noticed no change between Maverics and Yosemite in my workflow, which is NEF from D7100 with Lightroom. Just out of curiosity, have you tried with Nikon's own converter, Capture NX-D? Maybe it works, I don't know.

TrionReid

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
I am having exactly the same problem with my Nikon D3200 raw pictures. I have no idea what is going on!

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Using Yosemite 10.10.1 and iPhoto 9.6 (910.29) and a D810, I had no trouble importing and displaying NEFs from a folder already on my computer. And I had no trouble importing and displaying NEFs via USB directly from the D810.

I'm sorry that I don't know what's causing your problem, but here, at least, it's all working properly.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Hi There,

Ive been using Yosemite for some time now, no problems!
I use a D700

I'm guessing it is the Apple software that is the problem

FWIW, I'm using LightRoom with no glitches

I would say there would be an update/glitch fix to sort it out
........Gary

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
Update

The problem still persists. Seriously frustrated here - Apple have turned their photo support into purely unstable junk IMO.

It makes your user interface unusable if you try to read a .NEF file.

You can delete the RawCamera.bundle and RawCameraSupport.bundle all you want until you are blue in the face and reinstall it but it will eventually stop working again no matter what you do, even if you go back to version 5.06.

Never thought I'd say I'm considering switching to PC but it's come to that.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

I have a Nikon 1 AW1 with firmware 1.10, and have the same issue in Preview or iPhoto. But I'm running on the oldest Mac that can run Yosemite, and have other graphical glitches from time to time, and I didn't get a raw-capable camera until after I was on Yosemite, so I just chalked it down to my "usual" graphical glitches, not anything raw-specific.

Now that I've seen this thread, I'll do more testing when I get home.

avinashbhatt

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2015

Odd.

Hi,I have had exactly the same issue with no final solution to this. The only way i can work around it is complete the import, then restart the imac. After this,you have you click on each image you imported and make some change in the edit option. Only then, do the images appear as tabs in iphoto and you can see them with the software. This sucks. Have you got any solution as yet.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
No.

Rebooting doesn't fix it for me. Face it, with Yosemite RAW support became a buggy, shuddering piece of trash that makes the interface impossible to use.]\

Pixelated crashprone iPhoto isn't really usable when this happens;.

Getting really tired of this. The long delay in the Photos app that promises to fix this might not even be worth it at this point.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
Update

It must be peculiar to Nikon and potentially the D3200 camera.

10.10.2 hasn't really fixed it. I thought at first it might have but it hasn't.
Still running into big problems with ANY .NEF file I shoot - it either shows up as all black, or all white, or pixelated.

I'm at the point where I don't really have a viable way of making it work. I'm actually not shooting as much as I normally would because reading the pictures into the computer is a herculean nightmare.

I don't think I can stand to wait another month for their long promised photos app - I'll most likely be buying lightroom and going to that.

tashi0

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2015
USA
Just imported a bunch of D7000 photos from Class 10 64G SD card. Everything went fine.
Using a Nikon 7000 running 10.10.3 and the latest Photos, JPGs import fine with the ordinary method. Plugging in the SD card, the application recognizes the pictures and imports fine but no uncompressed files, only JPG. Unfortunately, I did not realize this until the first import that deleted both the JPGs and the uncompressed files (the camera is set to save both formats). The drag and drop method to the "all photos" or "photos" view also did not import the NEF files.

What DID work is setting up an album and drag & drop only the NEF files to that album after the JPGs are imported.

THIS IS A BUG. The old iPhoto application had no problem importing the compressed and uncompressed files. Clearly, the Photos application knows the NEF files are there as it deleted them.

Der_hans

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2015
The solution is here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6625958

Basically there is a problem with the RAW support and you have to re-install it.

I had a similar issue with my Olympus e-p5. raw-pictures in .orf would import in Photos 1.0.1 unter Mac OS X.10.4 and when Photos would start creating the thumbnail, it would turn black. When I clicked on edit I could see the image. When I did no edits and clicked done it would go black again.

I deleted the raw bundles and installed the latest https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1811 raw codecs. After a reboot I reimported the files in Photos and since then it works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.