Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
Because you found "zero" lag on yours does not mean it is not there. The term lag can be somewhat subjective. Generally speaking from the vast majority of users here, the 6 Plus performed worse than the iPhone 5S running iOS 7.1.2.
Define vast majority. I've yet to see many people, outside of a few on here, complain about lag. So, how does that make it the vast majority then?
6 Plus here, no lag seen whatsoever. But, that means nothing to you, right?

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Define vast majority. I've yet to see many people, outside of a few on here, complain about lag. So, how does that make it the vast majority then?

Same here. Have the 6 plus and no lag in what I do on it.

jackwills

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
New York, NY
i upgraded from iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 4.7' maybe i have small hands sometimes its a little bit too big when using it one handed :(
I would say the iPhone 5s would be good enough for me for now Lol

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
1. Steve jobs was right... you need a phone that can be used one handed.

Steve jobs was a salesman, he said what he should to sell products. Apple did not make a larger phone. With the current phones he would be saying what cook said.

7-inch tablets are tweeners: too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with the iPad. ….7-Inch tablets are dead on arrival.

He said that because apple did not make a 7 inch tablet, period. The ipad mini is a very good seller.

We think it’s way more than that and we call it iCloud. Now iCloud stores your content in the Cloud and wirelessly pushes it to all your devices. So it automatically uploads it, stores it and automatically pushes it to all your other devices. But also, it’s completely integrated with your apps and so everything happens automatically and there’s nothing new to learn. It’s just all works. It just works.”

It didn't "just work". It was a sales pitch, period.

Again, jobs was a salesman. It's what he did, among other things obviously. He was a visionary, but quotes like the one handed use of a phone was done as that was what they sold. Just like the quote on ipad size and icloud just working. With the larger phones he would have been up there talking about how they were the best ever made.

I'm a big believer in using what fits you, I am a big believer in choice, but jobs was a salesman and said what he needed to say to fit the product.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Well I know there will be alot of anger towards me so let me tell you this is purely my own opinion!

After 1 month of using the 6+ I just wasnt satisfied here are my reasons:

1. Steve jobs was right... you need a phone that can be used one handed. I found myself using both hands which wasnt a problem but in those rare occasions where I did need to use the iphone single handed it was such a struggle! Maybe the iPhone 6 is better but alot of people who have it have said its not much of a difference compared to the 5S.

2. The LAG! when you pay so much for a device you dont expect stutters and lag... iOS 8 and 1gig ram cripped the 6+. Not to mention that 1 month AFTER its launched the ipad comes with triple core processor and 2gig ram? Apple cheaped out to be honest... Apple knew the iphone would sell like hotcakes! So why make it any powerful than the minimum.

3. Constant app crashes... honestly having a 64gig device you would use it to the fullest ie apps apps apps but the more apps that are on the thing the more it crashes!

4. Awkward construction and slippery nature of the phone - apple made the back completely flat and the aluminium is so slippery its difficult to hold properly with the fear it will drop any second!

Well thats why I sold it... I guess I will wait next time before buying it on day 1...

Dont flame me reason for this thread is to inform people I know there are hardcore apple fans out there and I am one of them.

2itr7dl.jpg

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I can't answer about the original iPhone, but I can say that the iPhpne 6 plus is a very slippery phone. Its not just my opinion, but there's a lot of others who state the same thing. A grippy case is needed, at least for my own peace of mind.

It could be, if the phone is defective but its more likely a buggy iOS

If iOS were buggy, wouldn't every app crash? That's like bitching about your car because you get flat tires all the time.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Well I know there will be alot of anger towards me so let me tell you this is purely my own opinion!

1. Steve jobs was right... you need a phone that can be used one handed. I found myself using both hands which wasnt a problem but in those rare occasions where I did need to use the iphone single handed it was such a struggle! Maybe the iPhone 6 is better but alot of people who have it have said its not much of a difference compared to the 5S.

2. The LAG! when you pay so much for a device you dont expect stutters and lag... iOS 8 and 1gig ram cripped the 6+. Not to mention that 1 month AFTER its launched the ipad comes with triple core processor and 2gig ram? Apple cheaped out to be honest... Apple knew the iphone would sell like hotcakes! So why make it any powerful than the minimum.

3. Constant app crashes... honestly having a 64gig device you would use it to the fullest ie apps apps apps but the more apps that are on the thing the more it crashes!

4. Awkward construction and slippery nature of the phone - apple made the back completely flat and the aluminium is so slippery its difficult to hold properly with the fear it will drop any second!

Well thats why I sold it... I guess I will wait next time before buying it on day 1...

Dont flame me reason for this thread is to inform people I know there are hardcore apple fans out there and I am one of them.

No anger but why do we need to know?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Why I kept my iPhone 6 Plus

1. I can use my 6 Plus one-handed without any issue. But of course 6 Plus is not for everyone. I LOVE the screen size.

2. What LAG issue? I have no issues on my 6 Plus lagging at all and works just fine. RAM is a non-issue for me and I can get by 1 GB RAM easily.

3. My app never crashes on me. Maybe I don't have the apps that you are using that causes the crash. And I have the 128 GB Model.

4. Mine isn't slippery at all and is just fine. But of course I also use a case on mine.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
OP is right about the lag on 6 Plus. I use Spotify at home on a strong WiFi connection and whenever I listen to music and multitask like simply browse the Internet or use Messenger, my music would slightly stutter and skip. I have a memory app called SysStats and my memory available would be in the 20s. I invite people to use their phone extensively and multitask with their Plus. Heavy multitasking and you'll see how 1 GB isn't nearly enough for such a behemoth of a phone

Also, to anyone that has a 6 Plus yet still has a 5 or 5s laying around, use that device and compare it to the 6 Plus. The animations and simple things such as bringing up and down Notification Center or Control Center just fly on the 5. It's worth mentions since the 6 Plus demands more pixels on screen that some lag was expected.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Wondering if others have felt on some level that they are comparing their 6 and 6+ to equivalent Android offerings.

I've felt that now that screen sizes are on par with Android, it's only natural for me to start comparing what the phones can do.

Before (iPhone 5):
--charges much faster than android
--way more ergonomic (x 10)
--fits in pocket easily
--better headphone jack quality (great sound quality)
--smoother than android

After (iPhone 6 and 6+)
--charges same speed as android devices
--screens are same quality
--not any better ergonomically than android devices now. 4.7 and 5.5" there is no engineering your way around these facts of physics.
--battery life on the 6 is worse than some competing androids
--way more expensive than competing androids
--stability of ios 8 is the same as android chitchat
--way less features and choice. App extensions are nascent but not nearly the same caliber as content providers in Android.

In other words, the iPhone 6/6+ are on par with Androids, but they are no longer special devices. And that is a problem, b/c a 6+ can cost you $1000.

Anyway, long way of saying that I'm actually surprised that I compare the 6 and 6+ to Android devices now, and find that the iPhones deliver less value for sure (when price is taken into account) and all that lack of true multitasking and the sandboxing of iOS I notice more.

When I carry around a 5" screen, my mind goes into "this is a real computer" now b/c it's not nearly as portable, so I'd better be getting something additional for my decision to continually carry around a larger device in my pocket. With the 4" screen I somehow think that the phone won't be able to do as much but with the 6+, it's literally the same phone and just the larger screen minus all of the extra features of Android that I willingly was going without b/c I liked the ergonomics of the 5.

syphern

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
OP, sounds like you gave it a fair chance and came out with solid reasons why it wasn't working for you. That's a good thing. Have you decided what you'll replace it with? Sounds like you're eyeing the 5s?

well i went back to my 5C and honestly its fluid and the right size for portability I have a rMini and macbook air so apple still in my life...

What I found was apple puts alot of effort into their macbooks - look at yosemite - its amazing fluid fast and runs amazingly on the macbook air, secondly ipads - these are also great for what they do just look at the new ipad air specs are amazing... I realised these are two fields apple needs marketshare in... i phone on the other hand they have it conquered and thus a sub par device in my opinion was born, specs were worse than a 2 year old android device...

I did actually give it loads of chances, also got a leather case but took a slight loss in the end £20 when i sold it but overall I think best decision

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Wondering if others have felt on some level that they are comparing their 6 and 6+ to equivalent Android offerings.

I've felt that now that screen sizes are on par with Android, it's only natural for me to start comparing what the phones can do.

Before (iPhone 5):
--charges much faster than android
--way more ergonomic (x 10)
--fits in pocket easily
--better headphone jack quality (great sound quality)
--smoother than android

After (iPhone 6 and 6+)
--charges same speed as android devices
--screens are same quality
--not any better ergonomically than android devices now. 4.7 and 5.5" there is no engineering your way around these facts of physics.
--battery life on the 6 is worse than some competing androids
--way more expensive than competing androids
--stability of ios 8 is the same as android chitchat
--way less features and choice. App extensions are nascent but not nearly the same caliber as content providers in Android.

In other words, the iPhone 6/6+ are on par with Androids, but they are no longer special devices. And that is a problem, b/c a 6+ can cost you $1000.

Anyway, long way of saying that I'm actually surprised that I compare the 6 and 6+ to Android devices now, and find that the iPhones deliver less value for sure (when price is taken into account) and all that lack of true multitasking and the sandboxing of iOS I notice more.

When I carry around a 5" screen, my mind goes into "this is a real computer" now b/c it's not nearly as portable, so I'd better be getting something additional for my decision to continually carry around a larger device in my pocket. With the 4" screen I somehow think that the phone won't be able to do as much but with the 6+, it's literally the same phone and just the larger screen minus all of the extra features of Android that I willingly was going without b/c I liked the ergonomics of the 5.

I agree to an extent, the 6 Plus feels like a blown up 6 with the same specs under the hood when it reality it shouldn't have been that way. The Plus obviously has much more pixels which demands a CPU and memory to handle all that. I've compared the 6 to the Plus side by side and everything flies and runs buttery smooth on the 6. The Plus would have been great with iPad Air 2 specs which I bet it will have for it its "S" iteration. Don't get me wrong, the Plus isn't a slouch when doing small tasks on it but start doing some heavy multitasking and you'll notice that slight lag. One way to notice the average graphical performance is to download "Zen Garden" and navigate through that game. It stutters big time and that's nowhere to be found on the 6.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
What did you replace it with?

I've had a nightmare; I got the 6, then started looking at the Plus, bought the Plus and didn't take to the size, went back to the 6 and then started seeing the Plus everywhere and bought it again.

Now I really like the Plus and have kept it, it's a little big but so are other smart phones in the wild. The battery for me, makes it a winner.

Do you find the Plus to be a little too big or nah? I played with one in the store and yes it is a litttle big, but that the thinness of the device makes it so much better to hold,

----------

I agree to an extent, the 6 Plus feels like a blown up 6 with the same specs under the hood when it reality it shouldn't have been that way. The Plus obviously has much more pixels which demands a CPU and memory to handle all that. I've compared the 6 to the Plus side by side and everything flies and runs buttery smooth on the 6. The Plus would have been great with iPad Air 2 specs which I bet it will have for it its "S" iteration. Don't get me wrong, the Plus isn't a slouch when doing small tasks on it but start doing some heavy multitasking and you'll notice that slight lag. One way to notice the average graphical performance is to download "Zen Garden" and navigate through that game. It stutters big time and that's nowhere to be found on the 6.

Are you experiencing this type of lag on 3rd party applications? I'd chalk it up to just alot of applications not being updated to iOS 8/new iPhones yet, plus when games start taking advantage of Metal you will have nothing but buttery smoothness and good graphics

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
OP is right about the lag on 6 Plus. I use Spotify at home on a strong WiFi connection and whenever I listen to music and multitask like simply browse the Internet or use Messenger, my music would slightly stutter and skip. I have a memory app called SysStats and my memory available would be in the 20s. I invite people to use their phone extensively and multitask with their Plus. Heavy multitasking and you'll see how 1 GB isn't nearly enough for such a behemoth of a phone

Also, to anyone that has a 6 Plus yet still has a 5 or 5s laying around, use that device and compare it to the 6 Plus. The animations and simple things such as bringing up and down Notification Center or Control Center just fly on the 5. It's worth mentions since the 6 Plus demands more pixels on screen that some lag was expected.

The GPU in the Plus is more then capable of running the screen smoothly

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Do you find the Plus to be a little too big or nah? I played with one in the store and yes it is a litttle big, but that the thinness of the device makes it so much better to hold,

You get used to the size and realize that every other phone smaller than it is just "too small" plus the battery life itself makes it a keeper. Only gripe with it is that it should have had faster GPU and more memory to keep up with that massive screen.

----------

The GPU in the Plus is more then capable of running the screen smoothly

Nope, like I said download Zen Garden on the Plus and it stutters like crazy. I've tried Zen Garden on the regular 6 and it's so damn smooth. The stutter is attributed to the scaling and handling the higher pixels on the Plus.

----------

----------

Are you experiencing this type of lag on 3rd party applications? I'd chalk it up to just alot of applications not being updated to iOS 8/new iPhones yet, plus when games start taking advantage of Metal you will have nothing but buttery smoothness and good graphics

I experience this solely on Safari and with Spotify running in the background. For some odd reason the Plus eats up much more memory for the same task I would do on my 5.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
You get used to the size and realize that every other phone smaller than it is just "too small" plus the battery life itself makes it a keeper. Only gripe with it is that it should have had faster GPU and more memory to keep up with that massive screen.

----------

Nope, like I said download Zen Garden on the Plus and it stutters like crazy. I've tried Zen Garden on the regular 6 and it's so damn smooth. The stutter is attributed to the scaling and handling the higher pixels on the Plus.

What kind of issues do you run into the stuttering though, I mean like how much stuttering? Does 8.1 improve it, I have a 6 and I am seriously considering a Plus, I know alot of 3rd party applications just need to be updated and optimized so any performance issues people experience on 3rd party apps will be fixed and also when Apple Metal rolls out to more games , games will run and look better too.

Also by February 15, all apps have to have 64 bit support, which will be performance and battery boosts too

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
What kind of issues do you run into the stuttering though, I mean like how much stuttering? Does 8.1 improve it, I have a 6 and I am seriously considering a Plus, I know alot of 3rd party applications just need to be updated and optimized so any performance issues people experience on 3rd party apps will be fixed and also when Apple Metal rolls out to more games , games will run and look better too.

Also by February 15, all apps have to have 64 bit support, which will be performance and battery boosts too

It's not to the point where I want to give up on the Plus, it's just noticeable when I'll be using Safari and listening to Spotify and when my music will stutter Safari would also stutter for a slight second. It's just very noticeable when comparing it to my 5 in which I did the same tasks. I've always downloaded SysStats to my iOS device to monitor my CPU and memory usage and my Plus just eats up much more memory than my 5 did doing the same exact tasks. My Plus would be in the low 20s while my 5 would still have at least 300MB of memory left. If you read around the forums it's being concluded that the 6 runs games much more fluid than the Plus for the reason being that Plus has more pixels on screen.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009

Right. Glad to see you catch on pretty quick. Either way I'll be lmao next year when the 6S offers 2Gb of ram and much better performance. All of you who opted for the 6/6+ spent way too much on a limited device.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Right. Glad to see you catch on pretty quick. Either way I'll be lmao next year when the 6S offers 2Gb of ram and much better performance. All of you who opted for the 6/6+ spent way too much on a limited device.

Spot on. No doubt the Plus was shorthanded on specs. A phone it's size needs to be beefed up to truly appreciate and not have the same specs as the regular 6.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

I can't acknowledge a single point of yours. Not a single one.
Good luck with your next Android phone

----------

Steve jobs was right years ago but things change and people now want bigger screens, I bet he'd love the 6 plus.

The phone works perfect for me with 1gb of ram

I've had a few crashes but I'm putting that down to bugs in iOS 8 .... 8.1 is a lot better

I'd like to know exactly where the 1 Gb of ram became a limit in iPhone 6 usage.....

----------

I agree with a lot of what the Op said

Apple could have easily put the A8X professor in the 6 plus and made it a super fast device. Because the bigger battery in the 6 plus, battery life would still be adequate.

But apple did cheapen out. The "s" models tend to get the bigger jump in performance.

Do you know how much A8X consumes?
I'm ready to bet the iPhone 6S won't use an A8X but another CPU....

I don't know why Apple doesn't hire engineers on this forum: there are plenty.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
When and if that happens, and I feel that I need it, I'll sell this phone and upgrade to the new one. As it stands, I will most likely skip the next release and opt for the iPhone 7.
As I stated, I've yet to see any lag on my 6 Plus at this point. You telling me there is lag isn't going to change that fact.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
I can't acknowledge a single point of yours. Not a single one.
Good luck with your next Android phone

----------

I'd like to know exactly where the 1 Gb of ram became a limit in iPhone 6 usage.....

Not on the regular 6 but on the Plus most definitely. If you have a Plus, download Zen Garden and you'll see what I'm talking about. Stutter galore.

Eeko

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010

That doesn't make sense. My iPad has worse specs and doesn't have any lag. Why would the 6 Plus?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.