Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Hi,

I'm pretty familiar with both OS X and Windows, but I have never used Parallels or Bootcamp.

Right now I have a mid-2011 mini and a self-built Windows 7 machine. I'm considering a Mac Pro, and would like to completely kill off the Windows box, in favor of Bootcamp.

The answer is probably "no", but is there any way to use my existing Windows 7 boot drive, with a new instance of Bootcamp? I realize Windows recognizes hardware configs, and ties your license to that, but would a call to Microsoft be of help?

Basically, I would like to maintain my existing Windows 7 environment, and just add it to a Bootcamp environment. Alternately, it would be OK if I installed a fresh instance of my Windows 7 license, but in a Bootcamp environment. Possible?

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
I only can tell from a MacBook Pro, but I'm quite sure there is no policy difference from Apple when it comes to BootCamp.

BootCamp is a physical installation of Windows ( you dual boot OS X / Windows ), you use BootCamp drivers and one BootCamp service for Windows. Parallels is a host for Virtual Machines which allows you to run a Windows guest within OS X.

In case of BootCamp you must install Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 on an internal drive and the drive must be the frist on the bus ( SATA 0 ). This drive can be shared with OS X. Windows 8 or greater must be x64.

Windows: You can use the current license and product key, however it takes a ( free ) call to Microsoft to get Windows activated.

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I only can tell from a MacBook Pro, but I'm quite sure there is no policy difference from Apple when it comes to BootCamp.

BootCamp is a physical installation of Windows ( you dual boot OS X / Windows ), you use BootCamp drivers and one BootCamp service for Windows. Parallels is a host for Virtual Machines which allows you to run a Windows guest within OS X.

In case of BootCamp you must install Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 on an internal drive and the drive must be the frist on the bus ( SATA 0 ). This drive can be shared with OS X. Windows 8 or greater must be x64.

Windows: You can use the current license and product key, however it takes a ( free ) call to Microsoft to get Windows activated.

Thanks for your response.

I would like to install Windows via a separate SSD, and connected to the Mac Pro via a Thunderbolt 2 enclosure.

Can this be done with my existing installation of Windows? For example, I just remove my Windows boot drive from the existing machine, attach it to a Mac Pro, use Bootcamp, then call Microsoft?

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
No, Windows will not boot. Thunderbolt is an external interface. What you can do, is to install the SSD as drive 0 ( internal ) and OS X anywhere. OS X can boot from any internal and external drive.

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
No, Windows will not boot. Thunderbolt is an external interface. What you can do, is to install the SSD as drive 0 ( internal ) and OS X anywhere. OS X can boot from any internal and external drive.

Hmmm.. This thread indicates otherwise: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1414769/

However, reading that thread confirmed my suspicions, I would need to do a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate in order to boot via TB2 external enclosure.

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
The thread you refer to does not read like any supported solution. They ( try to ) trick the boot sector, what might work on specific machines, I don't know. With the next EFI upgrade Apple might close the door.

Maybe it's just me ;) .

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
The thread you refer to does not read like any supported solution. They ( try to ) trick the boot sector, what might work on specific machines, I don't know. With the next EFI upgrade Apple might close the door.

Maybe it's just me ;) .

I see your point. Maybe I should pursue a VM solution. Or just stick with two machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.