Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
I'm not sure I nderstand at all.

What are those Tools that Apple discontinued ("deleted") ?
Why couldn't you stick with what you had and continue using them ?

-t

I'm still waiting for an explanation of these tools that Apple "deleted".

Methinks the OP confuses Apple and 3rd party software that hasn't been updated.

-t

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Look, people, a company like Apple does not get the largest stash of cash in corporate history by thinking first of the customer's needs. They do so by thinking of every strategy to make money. I don't begrudge them that since most corporations are ruthless.

I think it is just the opposite. Customers buy their products because they want them and they satisfy their needs.

Last edited:

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007

-t
It is the OS' manufacturer responsibility to ensure a minimum of retro compatibility, even if it goes as far as releasing a compatibility framework for these older software pieces. It wouldn't have cost Apple a dime to release a previous OS version as a virtual machine image.

I think it is just the opposite. Customers buy their products because they want them and they satisfy their needs.
Clearly Apple was a clever mix of innovation (not necessarily never-seen-before developments) and top-grade marketing. They had a knack to make last-year products look so outdated people wanted the newer ones.

Nalp2010

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2008
Are any of you beginning to really hate Apple, for whatever reason? I have my reasons, but what about you?

I don't hate Apple but I have come to realise they are not a serious computer company - although I only realised after spending thousands and thousands of pounds on their computers over the years. Use Apple computers if you must but avoid putting all your eggs in one basket, you'll just get let down in the long run.

I'm writing this on the best Mac I've ever owned - not my Mac Pro, iMac, or a MacBook Air but - a Hackintosh. I suppose one day Apple will attempt to block Hackintoshes, by that time I'm hoping Linux will have applied the final polish needed to make it as user friendly as OS X and the natural choice for the world's desktop computers.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I don't hate Apple but I have come to realise they are not a serious computer company - although I only realised after spending thousands and thousands of pounds on their computers over the years. Use Apple computers if you must but avoid putting all your eggs in one basket, you'll just get let down in the long run.

I'm writing this on the best Mac I've ever owned - not my Mac Pro, iMac, or a MacBook Air but - a Hackintosh. I suppose one day Apple will attempt to block Hackintoshes, by that time I'm hoping Linux will have applied the final polish needed to make it as user friendly as OS X and the natural choice for the world's desktop computers.

Not a serious computer company? Linux with polish? What are you smoking?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
lately, I've been uber cranky about the product that has been released recently. I was particularly snipey last week, but I do not hate as much as I am disappointed and weary of hype. Sometimes I get sick of hearing the hype and want Apple to put their money where their mouths are. You make a great product, yes, hype it to the ends of the earth, but gearing up a month before launch has proven to be too short a window several times now, epecially for the phones.

Played with the low end Mac Mini at the Grand Central Apple store this morning and that crawled > yes, I know it's the base line innards. Gotta say the base riMac was also super slow (unlike the snappy one at 5th Avenue.)

And the ongoing quality control > would have kept the iPad Air if the speakers did not sound like tin cans on a low volume. I understand most bands I still love recorded in very low budget conditions and with a lot of distortion/downtuning but damn... and it was much worse when watching movies. The latest Hobbit film was particularly bad as far as sound. I returned several Airs last year for the exact same reason and I hoped when I picked up the new one that Apple would address this, they aren't. Well, it's just a bummer. And why not release the iPhone 6 models with more ram?

They are lovely phones, but I am hesitant given the low ram and very high price tag (not to mention carrier bs which is the most unfortunate by-product of this nice update.)

The ease of use and my dislike of competitors keeps me hanging. Sometimes I ignore the hype and just roll, other times, I do not.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
There is a lot of love it leave it in this thread which is one of mortal fallacies. We all have a breaking point and the OP might have reached his this isn't really good of bad unless you make a living with Apple software. There are many alternative out there especially for the OP's use case but he'll have to explore and probably put some effort into it. In my personal life I stopped buying Mac's with the Intel change, I figured if they were going use the same stuff as every one else then there was no need for me to use them anymore. My professional life is still on the Mac because all the software we use is Apple based and until that changes then Mac's will still live under our/my desk.

Nalp2010

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2008

Probably Cuban cigars with the amount of money I save. If you actually think Apple is a serious computer company the joke is entirely on you.

hotpotato123

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009

-t

Matte screens, otherwise known as anti-glare screens.

In the recent iMacs and MBP, Apple has reduced glare, but you can still see a distinct image reflection. I realize that glossy screens give nicer pop-colors, but for some people it is a trade off depending on priorities. Since I mostly write text, I stare at a screen sometimes 18 hours a day. I do not want any distracting images in the background. The matte, anti-glare screen diffuses the reflection. That is the "tool" I referred to that Apple has removed. Now, Apple only sells 100% glossy screens. The anti-glare is not even offered as a paid-option. Why?

Any arguments as to the superiority of glossy screens are true. They are best, in some circumstances. But in the circumstances I use them for, glossy screens are not superior. It is horses for courses. I happen to value non-reflection rather than pop-color.

If I was doing Facebook and watching movies, I would prefer a glossy screen.

But for staring at a screen for 18 hours a day mostly writing and reading, I prefer a non-reflective screen with no discernible image reflection.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Matte screens, otherwise known as anti-glare screens.

In the recent iMacs and MBP, Apple has reduced glare, but you can still see a distinct image reflection. I realize that glossy screens give nicer pop-colors, but for some people it is a trade off depending on priorities. Since I mostly write text, I stare at a screen sometimes 18 hours a day. I do not want any distracting images in the background. The matte, anti-glare screen diffuses the reflection. That is the "tool" I referred to that Apple has removed. Now, Apple only sells 100% glossy screens. The anti-glare is not even offered as a paid-option. Why?

Any arguments as to the superiority of glossy screens are true. They are best, in some circumstances. But in the circumstances I use them for, glossy screens are not superior. It is horses for courses. I happen to value non-reflection rather than pop-color.

If I was doing Facebook and watching movies, I would prefer a glossy screen.

But for staring at a screen for 18 hours a day mostly writing and reading, I prefer a non-reflective screen with no discernible image reflection.

That's not a "tool".

I can follow your argument that glossy is not everyone's choice.
However, most people would prefer glossy over matte, so Apple is following the majority.

Good or bad, well, that's hard to say. It's a matter of taste as well as how you use your Mac.

-t

----------

It is the OS' manufacturer responsibility to ensure a minimum of retro compatibility, even if it goes as far as releasing a compatibility framework for these older software pieces. It wouldn't have cost Apple a dime to release a previous OS version as a virtual machine image.

What keeps you from installing Apple's FREE OS X versions on a virtual machine (like Parallels) ?

Exactly, nothing.

(Been there, done it, got no T-Shirt.)

-t

hotpotato123

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
That's not a "tool".

However, most people would prefer glossy over matte, so Apple is following the majority.

-t

Majority prefer glossy? Firstly, please review these poll results.

http://macmatte.wordpress.com/review-of-glossy-matte-poll-results/

Secondly, even if one could argue that online polls are skewed, let's just for argument's sake that the poll results are wrong and that really only 10% prefer matte. Ten percent of millions of users is nothing to sneeze at. It takes corporate callousness to say we're just going to make products for 90% and discard the 10%.

People assume that Apple just makes products for the majority, but this doesn't give the full picture. Apple has a sense of style that they want to achieve - to make their products look like museum pieces as per Jon Ive's sense of his place in design history. And if they think that glossy produces the kind of iconic appearance, then really stuff the 10%+ people who need anti-reflective screens for work. It's not just a majority thing -- it's pursuing their concept of a product, and really stuff everyone who thinks otherwise. In one sense, you need that bloody arrogance to succeed, but it does stink nevertheless. Even arrogant people, whose arrogance leads to success in one area, still suffer for that arrogance in other areas of life. Think of corporate titans whose arrogance gives them money success but failure in private life.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
I think I get what he means. OS X isn't even a fully-compatible UNIX with polish anymore.

They're too expensive. We have to pay $900 for an iPhone here in the UK. Like what the...
You have to stress that it's too expensive even to Apple's standards, and not to other manufacturer's plastic devices. The iPhone is nothing more than a glorified iPod Touch.

And the ongoing quality control > would have kept the iPad Air if the speakers did not sound like tin cans on a low volume. I understand most bands I still love recorded in very low budget conditions and with a lot of distortion/downtuning but damn... and it was much worse when watching movies. The latest Hobbit film was particularly bad as far as sound. I returned several Airs last year for the exact same reason and I hoped when I picked up the new one that Apple would address this, they aren't. Well, it's just a bummer. And why not release the iPhone 6 models with more ram?
You can't go agains the laws of physics. A physically tiny speaker will sound like a tin can any way you try.

I would understand Apple following the majority if it required deep changes in the assembly chain. But it doesn't! Matte meant not installing the cover glass and adding a film right on the LCD, and they still billed an extra $150 for the option, and people paid for it!

What keeps you from installing Apple's FREE OS X versions on a virtual machine (like Parallels) ?
The license forbidding so? The fact that since license forbids it, no official support exist for making OS X communicate with the meat world?

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
I think the word hate is a reflection of how much I used to love Apple -- you know, the concept of the hatred that a lover feels when scorned, that sort of thing. You probably cannot understand my hatred unless you realise I've been a Mac user for more years than many of you, and have been such a passionate Mac evangelist. It's like realising it was all a delusion because a company is essentially not lovable. It's a marketing mirage.

I hope apple comes back to computers but them changing their name from Apple Computer to just plain Apple pretty much says it all.

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Not a serious computer company? What are you smoking?

After seeing Mac models emerge with RAM pointlessly soldered in, I'm inclined to agree with that poster. Its a nonsensical move that is just a slap in the face for them who wish to upgrade their Mac to extend the life of it, regardless of how many people actually do it.

I don't know what Apple are aiming to achieve (other than people buying new Macs sooner) but I find it completely stupid and proof that Apple no longer care about the professional computer user.

hotpotato123

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
I hate people starting idiotic threads like this one.

Like everything in life, if something does not affect you, then you can either emphathize, or take a me-centric attitude and say it's idiotic.

I did not just start this thread because of a need to rant. I require certain hardware features for my work, as many people do. Apple's decisions affect the way we use computers. There comes a point where, if you have certain skills, it is a responsibility.

For instance, if a doctor has skills, it's unfortunate that some U.S. systems see doctors refusing to treat patients if the person can't pay. It's a vague analogy to Apple having a total monopoly on arguably the best OS in the marketplace, and then refusing the offer certain hardware features that are required by a lot of professionals - simply because of money. If Apple were to offer these features for smaller market segments, there would still be profit for them, just not as much. It comes down to responsibility of a OS manufacturer vs. pursuing profit as the single and only decision-making criterion.

Last edited:

Gildarts

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014
I hate how they messed up iOS on the iPad (any iPad).

There's not a single iPad, not even the new iPad 2, that performs smoothly.
The way to test this is pull down on the middle of the home screen to open spotlight.

You can see the terrible lag in the animations. I went to the Apple Store the other day and did this with the iPad 2. Horrible...

This problem has been there ever since iOS 7 (that I know of, first in-depth iPad experience was with a first-gen iPad mini).

They definitely seem to be losing their ''specialness''. The problems with Yosemite (I haven't even updated yet), The problems with Mavericks. Oh while on the subject of Yosemite. When I was at the Apple store I played around with the new Retina iMac. Even this thing had lag with Yosemite. I was so disgusted by that.. Paying well over 2000 for a computing machine and it still lags? Talk about disappointment.

I don't necessarily hate them (waste of energy) but I'm definitely starting to think less of them. They keep disappointing. I hope they wow me in 2015.

But I won't be holding my breath for it.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Hate is a strong word. I recently got annoyed with them though. I used to only own Android phones. When the 5c showed up in my old workplace, I decided to buy my first iPhone. I'll tell you, I love that phone. Loved it so much that I bought a second one with more storage to use on my new carrier (Original was carrier locked). I bought a 5s about a month later. Now I didn't hate the 5s but I sold it because I was still enjoying my 5c honestly.

Fast forward and I bought a 6. That device, hah, after all I went through to get it... It was defective as heck. I must of spent hours and days going to the Apple store to buy this phone because I was afraid of that. Sure enough, I got a bad unit and had to return it. I'm glad I didn't have to do that shipping back and forth bit but in the end I didn't get another 6 anyways.

The good news was I traded in my old Mini and original 5c and spent only a few hundred on a new iPad Mini 3 64GB space gray with cellular.

I think I might give the 5s another shot here soon. At least until the 6s next year.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
The new "anti-glare" option that the OP mentioned is not like the older uMBPs where you could get a matte display. The rMBP has the same anti-glare coating as the iPad Air although it is darker. I know this, as I have a rMBP. I love glossy displays and this just made it even better. I can also see Apple POV on glossy vs matte because glossy doesn't distort the view like matte screen.

I have a matte display (2 actually) for my Mac Pro and if I could get some really nice glossy monitors I would because I belive glossy displays display a better picture.

Now, I have been (and currently am) a bit perturbed at Apple for one reason or another, right now it's mainly the lag and lack of RAM in the iPhone 6 Plus and the fact that it is taking my local Apple Store 4 days to install a video card in my Mac Pro (this is the cheese grater model where it's a PCI card). Their laptops have somehow always given me issues, although I believe what happens is one thing goes wrong (in my case, overheating on my current rMBP) and they have under-qualified "Geniuses" fix the machines and they screw something else up (like knocking my fan out of allignment).

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Don't hate as much as getting dissatisfied with the iOS experience. I use an iPad and Nexus tablets. The iPad has slightly better app support(Amazon Instant Video for one). However after using the Nexus 7, I find it frustrating the lack of back button and multitasking button on the iPad. Also I find Siri to be utterly inferior to Google Now. I love how you swipe from the bottom to invoke Google Now on any Nexus device, no such thing on iOS. I realize why Apple has a physical home button and nothing else, but this gets back to why PC people detest Apple with their one-button mice type of stuff.

Not to mention the arrogance of Cook and sites like Apple Insider make my stomach churn.

----------

You can see the terrible lag in the animations. I went to the Apple Store the other day and did this with the iPad 2. Horrible...

This problem has been there ever since iOS 7 (that I know of, first in-depth iPad experience was with a first-gen iPad mini).

No kidding. Since iOS 7 when they added the new "cards" multitasking screen the screen shots never line up with the icons. Is that ok with Johnny Ive? I thought he was Mr. Perfection. I guess only with hardware. Also buttons replaced by underlined text. I feel sometimes using iOS I'm in Netscape Navigator. Contrast that with Android L Material Design and you start to feel like iOS is a second class experience.

Android is where it's at these days.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I find Apple's content censorship on iOS devices to be profoundly immoral and discriminatory against sexual minorities. Tim's statement the other week was a sham while this continues.

And yes, it's one of the reasons I've voted with my wallet and dropped iOS entirely.

Last edited:

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Not hate, but I greatly dislike their controlling philosophy. Their hardware makes up for it though.

This. Lately I have run into too many dead ends with Apple controlling how I can and cannot use their products in circumstances where Windows ( :eek: ) has no problem treating me like an experienced adult who knows what he is doing. That and their disability to fix my iMac's occasional screen freezes for five years convinced me to go back to a less Mac-centric home setup.

I'd sum it up this way: OSX is great and easy to use as long as you use it as intended by Apple. Once you want to start tinkering with the system to adapt it to your personal needs, you start running into an ever growing number of walls.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I find Apple's content censorship on iOS devices to be profoundly immortal and discriminatory against sexual minorities. Tim's statement the other week was a sham while this continues.

And yes, it's one of the reasons I've voted with my wallet and dropped iOS entirely.

"Immortal censorship"..... thats a new one :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.