Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Put the 5770 back in and verify that the Web Drivers are still booting by default.

Make sure you have card securely installed.

Check to see if you have busted off any components. in my experience, the most common cause of a dead card (and I mean DOA to the world) is when someone just misses the slot and rakes the tiny line of components on back side of card over the slot edge. Dislodging just one of these can cause card to vanish.

Can you just leave the 5770 in and try both together?

Sohaib Najam

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Going to be installing PB4 again and see if it works under there. I see no physical damage to the pins of the card as far as i can tell. If it works under Yosemite beta then it's just a drivers issue, if not probably my card.

Sohaib Najam

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Toronto, Canada
750Ti Works under PB4 Not Official Release.

The card works perfectly fine with the web drivers enabled under public beta 4. It does not seem to work under the official OS X Yosemite. Any help would be greatly appreciated as all I get is a black screen forever if I try to boot with the 750Ti under the official release.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 2.28.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 2.28.51 AM.png
    478.8 KB · Views: 172

Sohaib Najam

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Everything Works Now.

The card works perfectly fine with the web drivers enabled under public beta 4. It does not seem to work under the official OS X Yosemite. Any help would be greatly appreciated as all I get is a black screen forever if I try to boot with the 750Ti under the official release.

Thanks.

Everything is working now, might have been a loose connection or something. So yes I can confirm that the current Nvidia drivers support Maxwell Cards under OS X Yosemite. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 2.46.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 2.46.43 AM.png
    439.1 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Everything is working now, might have been a loose connection or something. So yes I can confirm that the current Nvidia drivers support Maxwell Cards under OS X Yosemite. Thanks for all the help everyone.

as predicted, operator error

And yes, Lou, having Nvidia drivers in doesn't bother AMD cards, one of the joys of OSX.

I have 4 cMPs here for testing. Go back and forth testing things all day. Switch relentlessly from AMD to Nvidia and AMD and Nvidia in OSX.

It has always amazed me how clueless Windows remains to this day.

If you run a GTX780 then an AMD R9 in Windows then put the 780 back in Windows is frequently shocked and needs to reinstall driver. Always seems like Windows has Alzheimer's. It is better now in 8 but nowhere near as flawless as OSX.

Too bad Apple is getting so heavy handed.

fritterrr

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
Hey all,

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 (early 2008) and just threw in a EVGA GTX 750ti - the superclocked version. 2GB.

Now maybe I didn't do all my homework, because the thing aint working. I have Yosemite installed. I did not install any drivers before I installed it because I don't think I have to, right?

Anyway, what happens is, the computer boots up and the card's fan spins so I know it's working but then after about 30 seconds (i figure this is the apple logo booting but I can't see it) the computer resets. It never makes it into the OS. I tried putting the card in slot 2. Same thing. This card has no place to plug in the power adapter (if it does please show me because i cannot freaking find it).

So what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!!

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hey all,

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 (early 2008) and just threw in a EVGA GTX 750ti - the superclocked version. 2GB.

Now maybe I didn't do all my homework, because the thing aint working. I have Yosemite installed. I did not install any drivers before I installed it because I don't think I have to, right?

Anyway, what happens is, the computer boots up and the card's fan spins so I know it's working but then after about 30 seconds (i figure this is the apple logo booting but I can't see it) the computer resets. It never makes it into the OS. I tried putting the card in slot 2. Same thing. This card has no place to plug in the power adapter (if it does please show me because i cannot freaking find it).

Have a CAREFUL look at that first post.

You'll note some links to....

wait for it....

The Web Drivers

Sohaib Najam

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Hey all,

As it was said before, install the nvidia drivers for Mac OS X Yosemite. And in the control panel switch It from default Apple drivers to "nvidia web drivers". It does work. I'm currently using a gtx 750ti as well.

andyrugbyref

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2012
REfit?

Does anyone know if refind will display using a Nvidia 660ti?

Grub works ok for my ubuntu and windows HDD.

has anyone tried it? bootcamp disk chooser obviously wont work.

omegat3

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
Safari glitchy on Second Monitor

Currently running Yosemite and the nvidia web drivers on a 3,1 with Dual monitors (DVI) and 660Ti and 8800GT cards. Anyone else having issues with Safari being glitchy on the secondary monitor? Break-ups, flickering text, and other visual issues. Chrome seems to be fine.

Another odd occurrence is Yosemite creating additional desktops upon restart... was up to 12 the other day without realizing it was happening.

Thanks in advance.

strophy

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2014
I updated to 10.9.5 the other day, which went fine, and soon after the NVIDIA settings app requested to upgrade to 334.01.03f01. This also seemed to go well, but after rebooting only a grey screen appeared.

Update on this problem. I was able to reproduce it on my Mac Pro 3,1 with non-EFI GeForce 570 GTX by doing a clean install of Mavericks 10.9.3. I then immediately updated to 10.9.5 and installed NVIDIA web driver 334.01.03f01. After reboot, a grey screen appears and it is impossible to log in.

To switch off the web driver, hold Shift while booting to go into safe mode. The NVIDIA system preferences will not load, but if you install the driver again at this point, then go to system preferences before you are asked to reboot, you will be able to switch back to the Apple system driver again. This returns you to a working system, and you can then uninstall the driver.

Is anyone aware of a reason for this, or a way to workaround it while still loading the NVIDIA driver? Does Yosemite resolve this?

Thanks!

MacGamver

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
"Computer restarted because of a problem" message

If anyone is interested, I seemed to have resolved this by rebooting using the default Apple drivers, uninstalling the NVidia drivers from the system pref, then reinstalling them from a freshly downloaded driver installer.

MentalVizion

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2013
Austria
Hey,

Can someone tell me if I will still be able to see my boot screen if I install a GT120 in Slot 1, and let's say a GTX 670 in slot 2?

Also, I read that the GTX 670 and the 760 Ti are pretty much the same model more or less. Can anyone of you still tell if one of those 2 would be better for 3d work? I am talking about Unreal Engine 4, 3D Modeling etc.

thanks!

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
Running a 7300GT in Slot 1 and a GTX560 in slot 4 with no problems other than not being able to Remote Access if video is hooked up to the 7300GT.

That's on a MP1,1 though.

MentalVizion

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2013
Austria
Running a 7300GT in Slot 1 and a GTX560 in slot 4 with no problems other than not being able to Remote Access if video is hooked up to the 7300GT.

That's on a MP1,1 though.

So your boot screen is working fine?
Sweet!

Can someone maybe answer me one last question?

If i am planning to use the GT120 to still get my boot screen, does it also need power from these available 225W?

The way I understand this whole thing is the following:
The two 6-pin connectors on the logic board can only provide 225W.
But since the GT120 does not need any additional power consumption (only PCIe) I am pretty much still good to go to use a card that draws like 220W or something like that?

It would be really nice if someone yould enlighten me here!

ilegal31

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
Hello gents,

today I had installed OS X Yosemite on my two original Mac Pro's 1,1 and 2,1 models. I have a EVGA GTX 750ti on the way, can anyone please provide information if there is a better Nvidia option based on CUDA, Open GL/CL performance?. I use the computers strictly for video editing, 3D Design, and Graphic Design.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

MentalVizion

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2013
Austria
Hello gents,

today I had installed OS X Yosemite on my two original Mac Pro's 1,1 and 2,1 models. I have a EVGA GTX 750ti on the way, can anyone please provide information if there is a better Nvidia option based on CUDA, Open GL/CL performance?. I use the computers strictly for video editing, 3D Design, and Graphic Design.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

I don't know if the max. 225W TDP rule also applies for the older 1,1 and 2,1 models, but if it does, you could go up to a GTX 680 aswell I'd say.

It is superior to the GTX 750 ti in pretty much all aspects except the little bit higher clock rate. Probably costs more though^^

However, I'd say only go for the 2GB model, as the 4GB models need 1x6pin and 1x 8pin connections. The latter can only be achieved with an adapter. Probably still works, but I wouldn't take the risk.

ThoreEliasson

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
I have read and learned so much in the last couple of days here (thank you!) that I'm afraid to be mixing things up. Or ask questions that have already been answered somewhere else. Please be kind with me here :eek:
I remember reading somewhere that on a 3,1 the current state of affairs with 10.10 and Web drivers only allows for PCIe 1.0 speeds (4GB/s on the x16 slot) while according to Apple documents slots #1 and #2 are PCIe 2.0 and thus capable of twice the throughput which would benefit graphics card performance.
Is that information still correct?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I have read and learned so much in the last couple of days here (thank you!) that I'm afraid to be mixing things up. Or ask questions that have already been answered somewhere else. Please be kind with me here :eek:
I remember reading somewhere that on a 3,1 the current state of affairs with 10.10 and Web drivers only allows for PCIe 1.0 speeds (4GB/s on the x16 slot) while according to Apple documents slots #1 and #2 are PCIe 2.0 and thus capable of twice the throughput which would benefit graphics card performance.
Is that information still correct?

Nvidia cards need to be flashed with a fixed rom for PCIE 2.0 on a 3,1 in both OS X and Windows.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^From what I've been reading, the only difference with this driver vs. the f01 drivers is that it fixed and removed the "Cuda Update Required" message that showed up on boot and when the Cuda CP was queried.

Lou

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
^^^^From what I've been reading, the only difference with this driver vs. the f01 drivers is that it fixed and removed the "Cuda Update Required" message that showed up on boot and when the Cuda CP was queried.

Lou

I have updated and it's still telling me that a Cuda update is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.