Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
On a flight back from a work trip some turbulence caused me to spill a considerable amount of my vodka cranberry on my 2013 Macbook Pro. After several days of testing the computer thankfully is fine, short of the keyboard being extremely unpleasant to use with crackling and sticking keys. I still have Applecare but my question is does it cover this sort of thing and if so what is the process they will need to do to remedy this? And most important, how long will my MBP be out of commission?

I know there are many posts about this but I was having a hard time finding out these exact details.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I don't think AppleCare for computers covers accidental damage, only AppleCare+ for iPads, iPhones and iPods gives you that

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
This almost certainly won't be covered under AppleCare as it does not cover accidental damage.

That said, it's worth asking about it in an Apple store. I know with the retina MacBooks Apple will replace the battery for $200, which includes replacing the entire top case which I gather the keyboard is included with, so maybe if you ask nicely they'll do the repair for that figure.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Now if you have home owner/renters insurance as I have that does cover spills/drops you maybe in luck. If not, your screwed with paying out of pocket

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
30secs

http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/appgeos.html

You will need to choose where you are and it will confirm accidental damage isn't covered.

"The Plan does not apply to:

(i) Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or the provision of equipment while the Covered Equipment is being serviced;

(ii) Damage caused by

(a) a product that is not the Covered Equipment,

(b) accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause,"

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
On a flight back from a work trip some turbulence caused me to spill a considerable amount of my vodka cranberry on my 2013 Macbook Pro. After several days of testing the computer thankfully is fine, short of the keyboard being extremely unpleasant to use with crackling and sticking keys. I still have Applecare but my question is does it cover this sort of thing and if so what is the process they will need to do to remedy this? And most important, how long will my MBP be out of commission?

I know there are many posts about this but I was having a hard time finding out these exact details.

Thanks in advance for any help.

AppleCare is a warranty, not an insurance policy. It covers manufacturer's defects, period. Spilled drinks are not caused by a defect.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As others stated, you're out of luck, when it comes to the extended warranty, it only covers manufacturing defects, not accidental damage.

I always worry about turbulence when flying, so much so I keep any liquids away from my laptop when using it on a flight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.