Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xclusiv1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
So i bought my wife the otterbox defender case for her iphone 6 about a month ago... there is a little plastic piece that is attached to the screen protector that protects the touch id... last night it got wrinkled & my wife asked me to fix it. so i opened up the case and that plastic piece just fell out :mad:... anyone else have this problem & do u guys think otterbox will replace it?

update:

here is a pic of what i'm talking about (i circled what i'm referring to)

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• apl2-amp600-byo-1040-1263-20-3.jpg
    apl2-amp600-byo-1040-1263-20-3.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,418
Last edited:

jayf

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2014
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1803802/

See the link. I had a similar issue.

Otterbox is replacing mine free, but really, if it's the same as the one I have, I don't want it.

I recommend that your wife use it as it is, minus the home button film. If the replacement case is the same, I am going to lift the end of the screen protector and snip out around the home button film. Still a good case overall, just that damn film is bunk..

xclusiv1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014

Otterbox is replacing mine free, but really, if it's the same as the one I have, I don't want it.

I recommend that your wife use it as it is, minus the home button film. If the replacement case is the same, I am going to lift the end of the screen protector and snip out around the home button film. Still a good case overall, just that damn film is bunk..

Thanks for the response!!! I called otterbox & they are replacing it for free as well... so i guess my wife will have a backup case.

Thanks Again for your help

Imac Sam

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Harrisonburg, Virginia
I preordered 2 cases for our 2 ip6 when they arrived from Apple. Once we got the phones and put them in the cases, I found the buttons difficult if not impossible to press. The rubber makeup of the buttons were just too stiff. We also found the opening of the lightening cable too small to accommodate any cable other than an apple branded one. The Touch ID film wrinkled easily, and developed bubbles and such underneath it.

So are you experiencing any of these issues? If not perhaps Otterbox got a quick redesign shipped out. I know that they had many returns because of this issue.

My wife and I eventually settled with the griffin survivor cases. It fixed all of our issues above and the protective film over the Touch ID, is much thicker and wrinkle free. So you should think about giving them a try as well.

Bocatrip

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2014

Please let us know if the replacement is any better.

Bocatrip

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2014
I hear they are already on revision #3 for these cases

From all the posts and reviews, I am not aware of anyone with even a revision 2. All comments are basically covering the same issues as with the first defender including the volume and on/off buttons being too hard to press, plastic screen with the gap, finger ID with the bubbles, and charging port too narrow for most cables. Has anyone received a defender that does not have most of these issues? Has Otterbox confirmed any release of an updated defender? I've spoken with them twice and they have not told me anything about a revised defender.

jayf

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2014
Please let us know if the replacement is any better.

I received the replacement today. It is NO different whatsoever. I'll use it until the home button membrane screws up then cut the membrane out. Still a good case IMHO.

Bad max

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2018
I received the replacement today. It is NO different whatsoever. I'll use it until the home button membrane screws up then cut the membrane out. Still a good case IMHO.
[doublepost=1532648809][/doublepost]Simple fix that work right away. I unpealed that wrinkle piece of crap plastic membrane and replace with a small piece of clingy plastic wrap such as Glad Cling Wrap or Saran Wrap. Magic!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.