Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014

Relax. But the Apple forums are now filled with people saying their WiFi is broken on 8.1. So there is reason for concern. And this sort of thing has been referred to as Wifigate since 3 years ago.

I'm just saying it isn't trolling.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Relax. But the Apple forums are now filled with people saying their WiFi is broken on 8.1. So there is reason for concern. And this sort of thing has been referred to as Wifigate since 3 years ago.

I'm just saying it isn't trolling.

I deleted my post because I felt I was being a jerk and I do appologize for it.

jsh

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
No problems connecting, but DEFINITELY slower download speeds.

I tested with three devices in the exact same location, right next to my 802.11ac time capsule. All devices are on the 5 GHz band. Speeds are averaged over 5 tests on each device and rounded to the nearest mb. All speed tests connected to the same server.

Late 2013 rMBP - 193 mb/s down, 15 mb/s up
iPhone 6+ - 190 mb/s down, 15 mb/s up
iPad Air 2 - 9 mb/s down (!!), 15 mb/s up

Definitely something amiss with the Air 2. I hope it's software.

Macironyncheese

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
I have 3 iPad 2 Airs running on the same wifi network. 2 of the iPads are running iOS 8.1 and randomly loose their ability to transfer data via wifi although they still show connected. Then the 1 iPad that wasn't updated and is running iOS7.x works fine on the same wifi network.

tiguanito

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
My iPad air 2 has also Wifi issues, it's very annoying :mad: I have to turn Wifi off/on very frequently to make the data connection work. All my other devices at home (including my 1st gen. of the air) work fine on the same Wifi router.
I start to be very disappointed by the stability of the SW in the Apple products (I hope it's not an hw issue this time).
When I bought the Air 1 in Nov 2013, iOS7 was like a beta version (Safari, in particular, was crashing all the time) , I started to really enjoy using my Air 4 months later when they released 7.1. Hope they will fix the majors issues quicker this time.
Other than that, I'm very happy with the air 2 so far.

(when it works, I get the full speed on my internet = 130mbps in DL, when connected to 5Ghz Wifi)

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
I just got my iPad 2 Air yesterday and I'm having issues with the wifi disconnecting. Mostly when I lock the iPad then come back to unlock it the wifi is connected but is not working. I have to toggle the wifi off and on to get it to work. I've reset network settings, hard reboot, and reset my router. I still have this issue and my iPhone 6's wifi is working fine.

I just turned off wifi networking (within privacy) and will see if that works.

My last resort is to restore as new.

Also, I see people here are also having an issue with their iPad Air 2: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6627481

Last edited:

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Have zero issues with wifi on my Air 2. Maybe having airports helps?

te5y9yse.jpg

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
I just got my iPad 2 Air yesterday and I'm having issues with the wifi disconnecting. Mostly when I lock the iPad then come back to unlock it the wifi is connected but is not working. I have to toggle the wifi off and on to get it to work. I've reset network settings, hard reboot, and reset my router. I still have this issue and my iPhone 6's wifi is working fine.

I just turned off wifi networking (within privacy) and will see if that works.

My last resort is to restore as new.

Also, I see people here are also having an issue with their iPad Air 2: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6627481

This is exactly what I am facing! It's so frustrating, every time the Air 2 is in sleep mode for more than 5 mins the wifi still remains but no data passes so I have to toggle the switch on/off to get it working again. This happenw every time without fail on both my 2.4 and 5 Ghz connections! None of the mentioned fixes help and other devices work fine!

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
This is exactly what I am facing! It's so frustrating, every time the Air 2 is in sleep mode for more than 5 mins the wifi still remains but no data passes so I have to toggle the switch on/off to get it working again. This happenw every time without fail on both my 2.4 and 5 Ghz connections! None of the mentioned fixes help and other devices work fine!

Damn, Would rather have my distortion issues then this. I think its software, but who knows.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX

I haven't had any issues with my Air 2 but my Air 1 had this exact same issue. I finally had to do a reset all ALL settings (just network didn't work) and that fixed it so far at least. No issues with it since (my husband is using it now).

Nothing more frustrating that wifi issues. I just do not understand why Apple hasn't figured it out by now. It's the same thing with each and every new OS. Beginning to really pi$$ me off. Wifi connectivity shouldn't be that hard. Everyother manufacturer seems to get it right.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010

Yep, same issue here. WiFi works fine until I put the device down for a few minutes...then I have no choice but to toggle WiFi off/on to get it working again. Tried a restore, messed with the router's settings, forgot the network and added it again...same problem.

While connected, speed & performance are fine. It's just the constant drops that bother me.

Also have an iPhone 6 that had been rock solid, no WiFi drops at all. However, the phone is on iOS 8; the Air 2, obviously, is on 8.1. Coincidence?

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Just to add to my details. I have a Linksys EA3500 and I've tried both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies and have the issue with both. I just restored the device as new. So I will see how this works as a new iPad.

But it's basically the same issue as the member above me. My GF isn't having this issue with her iPad and iPhone...she's not on 8.1 though with those. My iPhone 6 is on 8.1 and isn't having the issue...I hate wifi issues...

If I still have the issue then I guess it will be back to the Apple Store :mad:

jsh

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Hmm, strange. Other devices work fine?
Yup. I did all my tests with only the device under test connected to the wifi network, and at the same location (right next to the router.)

I've found that power cycling the iPad will help for a short period but the bandwidth will degrade over a period of a couple hours.

tiguanito

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
Just to add to my details. I have a Linksys EA3500 and I've tried both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies and have the issue with both. I just restored the device as new. So I will see how this works as a new iPad.

I have a Linksys E4200v2 with the same problem. Can you share your result after the factory reset ?

cigarettesmoker

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
I have a Linksys E4200v2 with the same problem. Can you share your result after the factory reset ?
Same problem as you guys, Linksys E4200v2 router with the latest firmware. 5GHz is disabled, tried the network settings restore on my iPad Air 2, but didn't change anything. I have to disconnect & connect every time the device is locked for more than 2 minutes. No problems with the iPhone 6 in the same network.

Methodfilter

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
Same problem as you guys, Linksys E4200v2 router with the latest firmware. 5GHz is disabled, tried the network settings restore on my iPad Air 2, but didn't change anything. I have to disconnect & connect every time the device is locked for more than 2 minutes. No problems with the iPhone 6 in the same network.
Hmm I only have the issues at home where I have a Linksys EA4500. At my office where I have a DLink router I don't seem to have any issues.

Could this be a Linksys issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.