Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ben2e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I have a successful 2011 iMac with a 256G SSD boot drive and a 3TB Hard Drive. The HDD spinning up on wake drives me nuts and 1TB SSD's are in the $400 range so I'd like to just ditch the Hard Drive. My SSD sits behind the optical drive right now. It's been a few years now and I had a local mac shop do the work (in my own attempt,I broke a small part on the MB). The shop used a separate sensor part to solve the fan spin issue.

I'd like to not remove the motherboard if possible. I can deal with 1 big SSD or preferably 2 SSD's. What are my options ? If I replace the existing HDD with an SSD, do I need to replace the sata cable and to pull the MB (as well as kludge a sensor) ? Alternatively, can I just pull the HDD altogether and replace my 256gB with a 1TB SSD ?

ben2e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Anyone ? Maybe I'm better off upgrading the SSD

I also wonder if I just unplug the hard drive if I'll still have fan issues.

mhafeez

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2013
iMac 2011 + dual SSD

I'd like to not remove the motherboard if possible. I can deal with 1 big SSD or preferably 2 SSD's. What are my options ? If I replace the existing HDD with an SSD, do I need to replace the sata cable and to pull the MB (as well as kludge a sensor) ? Alternatively, can I just pull the HDD altogether and replace my 256gB with a 1TB SSD ?

You don't have to remove the motherboard, just follow this guide from iFixit. Also you can just use the cable from SATA0 or SATA1 directly to your SSDs but your HDD fan will rev up insanely to 5k rpm.

I also wonder if I just unplug the hard drive if I'll still have fan issues.

To solve this, just use HDD Fan Control.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD11/

I remember talk a few years ago of pinning out the fan controller if you were using an SSD so maybe there's a budget solution but at least this one will work.

That OWC In-line Digital Thermal Sensor WILL NOT work on SSD drives. Trust me. I have bought it.

ben2e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
OWC In-line Digital Thermal Sensor doesn't work

By "will not work" do you mean doesn't physically fit into the SSD connector or the temperature sensor doesn't properly function ?

Did OWC help any with the part not working ? It's not a cheap connector.

mhafeez

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2013
OWC In-line Digital Thermal Sensor WILL NOT work on SSD drives

The cable only works on normal hard drives. It does not recognise SSD drives as I have test it on both of my SSDs and the only thing I get is the white screen of death.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 67
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.