Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I saw that when after you use Apple Pay, it will send you a notification of your transaction. After using it, I never get a notification. Any ideas why? I have Bank of America and have notifications on if that helps.

sobucky

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I saw that when after you use Apple Pay, it will send you a notification of your transaction. After using it, I never get a notification. Any ideas why? I have Bank of America and have notifications on if that helps.

You need to turn it on, via apple pay. Go to the part where it shows your cards, then click the card and turn on the notifications ne you shud get a noti, every time your cards is used... It shows the transaction even if you use a physical. CArd to swipe.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
I think that feature only works on credit cards and not debit cards..just like that of the transactions list and actual amounts. For a credit card, these things will show...for a debit card just the location of your last purchase but not a dollar amount.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012

I was having the same issue, then I found out if you are using a Debit Card, then the transaction amount will not show, and you will not get a notification. In passbook there is no notification option for my Cap1 debit card, but there is a notification option for my Amex.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012

The only notifications I got from Apple pay was:

"stop eating fast food!"

"You must really love McDonald's"

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I got tired of getting pop up notifications whenever I used my Amex cards whether or not I used Apple Pay so I've turned it off. It can get annoying after a while.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I've started getting notifications for my American Express card but not my Chase Visa. Notifications are turned on for both in Passbook. The only difference I can think of is that I've made a couple Apple Pay payments using the Amex but not with Chase yet. Maybe that's the cause?

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Something I just noticed for my credit cards and Apple Pay....
For my American Express card with notifications turned on there is a note in settings that reads:
"Transactions include purchases made with this iPhone and your debit or credit card."
But for my Chase credit card with notifications turned on it reads:
"Transactions shown are purchases made with this iPhone."

Seems that each credit card company and/or bank has the option to do it different for whatever reason.

Reactions: catean

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Something I just noticed for my credit cards and Apple Pay....
For my American Express card with notifications turned on there is a note in settings that reads:
"Transactions include purchases made with this iPhone and your debit or credit card."
But for my Chase credit card with notifications turned on it reads:
"Transactions shown are purchases made with this iPhone."

Seems that each credit card company and/or bank has the option to do it different for whatever reason.

Yup - I have a Wells Fargo Visa, Chase Visa and MasterCard. None of them show any notifications for purchases other than those made with my particular iPhone.

Sucks too....I would've known as my card was being charged for various things in Florida over the holidays.....

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Sucks too....I would've known as my card was being charged for various things in Florida over the holidays.....

They didn't stop them at point of sale? Both Citi and Amex were able to stop our fraudulent charges cold at point of sale and we got emails/phone calls from them. Surprised that Wells Fargo and Chase didn't step up their point of sale fraud monitoring.

As for myself, I turned off Apple Pay notifications for Amex because I got tired of getting pop-up notifications whether or not I use Apple Pay. I'd rather have other CC companies' notification style where it appears only for Apple Pay transactions.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
They didn't stop them at point of sale? Both Citi and Amex were able to stop our fraudulent charges cold at point of sale and we got emails/phone calls from them. Surprised that Wells Fargo and Chase didn't step up their point of sale fraud monitoring.

As for myself, I turned off Apple Pay notifications for Amex because I got tired of getting pop-up notifications whether or not I use Apple Pay. I'd rather have other CC companies' notification style where it appears only for Apple Pay transactions.

I don't find the notifications to be annoying. Although my Passbook notifications are set to "Alerts" the only notification I get is a banner-style that doesn't require any action or alert me in any way. In fact, I thought they were kind of weird because they appear on my lock screen but are then gone when I unlock my phone. The only place I find them is in my Notification Center.

Wacko247

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2014
I've started getting notifications for my American Express card but not my Chase Visa. Notifications are turned on for both in Passbook. The only difference I can think of is that I've made a couple Apple Pay payments using the Amex but not with Chase yet. Maybe that's the cause?

Really? Did you just post this?

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Really? Did you just post this?

Yes, I did. But judging by your sarcastic tone I think I should clarify. For every American Express transaction I make, Apple Pay or not, I get a notification on my phone. For my Chase credit card this does not happen.

Wacko247

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2014
Yes, I did. But judging by your sarcastic tone I think I should clarify. For every American Express transaction I make, Apple Pay or not, I get a notification on my phone. For my Chase credit card this does not happen.

LOL. Ok thanks. Yes that make more sense. I was thinking why would you get a notification if you haven't used it.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

It was my WF - and we got a call. But they let the transactions post by mistake....took a couple calls into the fraud department.

Second time in the last three months on the same CC account (though the numbers have now changed three times). Seems like the same people got it...frustrating.

I really can't wait for Apple Pay to take off. I use it as often as possible.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I really like the notifications. I give my amex to my GF every now and then, and it is nice to see how much she spent exactly when she spent it :)

Hype-149

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC

I know this is an old thread but same here, my Amex's if I use them at a retailer that doesn't take ApplePay or online, I get a notice right away of the transaction. If I use my Royal Bank Visa or Debit Card (Canada) outside of Apple Pay, I get nothing in terms of an notification.

It is very handy for the notification of any transaction. Not sure why Amex only does it.

dan69fl

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2016
Is anyone getting Amex notifications via wallet on the iPhone SE? I added 2 Amex cars to Apple Pay on the SE but don't see a place to even toggle notifications on and off (iOS 10.1.1).

Amex website says:

American Express Card Members using Apple Pay with an iPhone 6 and up will also get these features:

• Real time notifications and details for your purchases – whether you use Apple Pay or a plastic Card to pay

....but not sure if this is true or maybe the webpage is just pre-iPhone SE. This is just software so I don't see why the SE wouldn't support it.

dan69fl

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2016
I get a notification if I pay with my phone but if I pay with my watch I don't get one.

But your profile says you have an iPhone 7? I was interested specifically in notifications for iPhone SE (the 4 inch model that supports Apple Pay) because that's where I can't even see an option to turn notifications of and off.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
But your profile says you have an iPhone 7? I was interested specifically in notifications for iPhone SE (the 4 inch model that supports Apple Pay) because that's where I can't even see an option to turn notifications of and off.
But it should be the same shouldn't it? I wouldn't have thought that there would be a difference. Apple Pay is Apple Pay.

I also can't find the option to turn on or off notifications for what it's worth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.