Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjohansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2010
Denmark
I have a time capsule that Im currently using for time machine backups. Im running out of space on my MacBook Pro and need to buy an external HDD where I will keep pictures, videos etc.

Is it possible to connect the new external HDD to the time capsule with USB and move all my photos and videos to it and still be able to reach them at all times when Im home?
Will I be able to make a time machine backup of the external HDD to the time capsule like the one Im doing from the MacBook?

mjohansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2010
Denmark
If I as an alternative to the above mentioned setup just connect the external HDD to my MacBook Pro and make TM backup of the MacBook and the external HDD to TC. What will happen if the TC tries to make a TM backup if the external HDD is not connected to the MacBook Pro?

As I understand it, TM will start deleting old files (which are no longer on the system) when the drive gets full. Will TM think that the files on the external HDD are deleted since it cannot access the drive?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I
Is it possible to connect the new external HDD to the time capsule with USB and move all my photos and videos to it and still be able to reach them at all times when Im home?

Will I be able to make a time machine backup of the external HDD to the time capsule like the one Im doing from the MacBook?

Yes to your first question no to the second, but CCC or another backup application can do that.

----------

What will happen if the TC tries to make a TM backup if the external HDD is not connected to the MacBook Pro?

As I understand it, TM will start deleting old files (which are no longer on the system) when the drive gets full. Will TM think that the files on the external HDD are deleted since it cannot access the drive?

You may get an error notice, but otherwise TM will just back up what it has.

No TM will not think the files are deleted. A similar thing happens when a disk goes bad... If TM deleted the backup files, what good is it, how would one recover the files :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.