Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Maybe not the most interesting thread ever, but after years of buying the black iPhone and iPad, I made the switch to white/gold for both. I had been concerned that the white border would be distracting, but it actually compliments the screen very well, even in darker settings. Just feels cleaner and fresher, and still looks very professional in the office. And the midnight blue looks great wit the white and gold. I do like the new texture, look, and feel of the new full case.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Maybe not the most interesting thread ever, but after years of buying the black iPhone and iPad, I made the switch to white/gold for both. I had been concerned that the white border would be distracting, but it actually compliments the screen very well, even in darker settings. Just feels cleaner and fresher, and still looks very professional in the office. And the midnight blue looks great wit the white and gold. I do like the new texture, look, and feel of the new full case.

I love white and only reason why is because I was buying a Samsung galaxy note 3 and the only back cover that supported wireless charging was white and didn't want a white back and black front like that so I got a white phone. Couldn't be happier. Now have a white note 4 and gold iPad Air 2 and love them

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Congrats, the White is nice looking. I have the White/Gold Air 2 and love it. :)

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010

White does look nice but for me its a no buy. The white frame is distracting when watching movies as simply you have movies in widescreen which means that you have black stripes and then white frame around it. No matter what some people say, your eyes subconsciously are distracted by it as it is an element that stands out more.
I'll be black forever unless they come with a white that can change to black when watching movies :D :D :D

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Have always opted for the black models until the iPhone 5s and iPad air. Bought both in white last year then upgraded with white again this year. I like the clean,professional look to them. Also nice that fingerprints are less noticeable. Until I went white, I also assumed the white border would be a distraction. But it isn't and I do watch a significant amount of video.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Switched from black to white and love it

Have always opted for the black models until the iPhone 5s and iPad air. Bought both in white last year then upgraded with white again this year. I like the clean,professional look to them. Also nice that fingerprints are less noticeable. Until I went white, I also assumed the white border would be a distraction. But it isn't and I do watch a significant amount of video.

I thought so as well but it isn't even on my note 4 which has a 16:9 aspect ratio and is white

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
I have always despised white devices and that still holds true. I cannot stand the different shades of white next to each other (screen and boarder). One is more yellow...one is cooler...etc. I spend most of my time one websites w white backgrounds...or reading...so it's apparent at all times. No thanks. Black for life!

Ps...I do love how the white bordered devices look...until the screen turns on. So I guess I'm weird.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Last year I bought a white iPad Air and a Gold 5s. They look like toys, I hated them.
This year I'm back in black ! Black iPhone 6 and Air 2.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I think the gold 6/Plus looks the best out of the three, but I'm not sure I'd want a white iPad because of the aspect ratio and watching video. My 6 Plus is 1080p so I'd see letter boxing less often than I would with my iPad.

Also, part of what makes the gold look so good to me on the 6 is the way the white front seems to meld into the gold back due to the curved unibody construction. The iPad doesn't have this, so it's a much sharper distinction between front and back.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I had three white iPhones in a row, but went black for my 6 just for a change after much indecision. What sealed the deal is the much lighter space gray, the darker versions always looked cheap to me and without that lighter color, I probably would have a white 6.

For my iPad 4 (first iPad), I went with black since I wanted the black bezels and had the best of both worlds with the silver back. But this time I decided to change it up after two years with the black iPad, so I went white this time and love it.

As for matching my devices, I've never cared.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I have always despised white devices and that still holds true. I cannot stand the different shades of white next to each other (screen and boarder). One is more yellow...one is cooler...etc. I spend most of my time one websites w white backgrounds...or reading...so it's apparent at all times. No thanks. Black for life!

Ps...I do love how the white bordered devices look...until the screen turns on. So I guess I'm weird.

Exactly this. I personally love white devices but the body is always "yellower" than the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.