Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattroman246

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
Nope. They only need the device. However, some idiot associates may argue otherwise so YMMV.

I had an associate and manager that seemed very well versed,ck ew about the trade in deals, extra $50 etc and they said charger was necessary, nearly didn't bring it.so regardless if I'm right or wrong bring your stuff just in case!

rdcamero

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
Charger and Cable not needed when I traded mine in.Used the $50 coupon and the movers coupon.The lady at customer service said I was double dipping but she would see what she could do.

I had been emailing and calling several times the past few days trying to get my order fixed where they had the wrong color listed.I told her they should do it for all the trouble I had to go through to get everything straight.

I think I got a really good deal.Got more out of my Retina mini with the trade and coupon than I could have sold it for.Love the new Air 2.

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
With 301 dollar trade in for my iPad air I can get the 64 gb iPad air 2 for 225. Tempting...

Wow really? I have a 32gb Wifi Air so I'd get the same. So it's a $300 trade in plus an extra $50? And then if I had any other coupons etc I could possibly use those too?

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Thanks for the Mover's Coupon Tip!

I traded in my iPad Mini 1 towards a new 128GB Air 2. BestBuy has a promotion that gives you an extra $50 off coupon when trading in. Combined that with the 10% off Movers coupon and BOOM: a $700 iPad Air 2 is now $585 ;)

Thanks for the tip! So, for those that are interested in doing the same deal: I traded my wife's 32GB WIFI only Air (Original) in at Best Buy for a 64GB Air 2 (wifi only) and here is how the deal broke down (rounded)

- 32GB Air 2 (wifi only): $599
- Less $50 best buy trade in coupon
- Less $55 Mover's coupon (i.e. 10% applied to balance after subtracting $50 Best Buy coupon from the $599)
- Total Price before tax: $494
- Total Price after tax: $529
- Trade in $ for Air: $301
- Total $ due from me......after final tally: $228 (not bad)

No problem at all "stacking" the 10% mover's coupon (from the Post Office) with the $50 Best Buy coupon. The Best Buy Customer service Rep was great (Perimeter Mall Atlanta). They asked, "where is everyone finding out about these deals...they had a mad rush on trade-in's today".

BTW...they didn't ask for the original 12W charger or Lightning cable...just the iPad....so got to keep those.

Last edited:

Staindsoul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Texas
Thanks for the tip! So, for those that are interested in doing the same deal: I traded my wife's 32GB WIFI only Air (Original) in at Best Buy for a 64GB Air 2 (wifi only) and here is how the deal broke down (rounded)

- Less $55 Mover's coupon (i.e. 10% applied to balance after subtracting $50 Best Buy coupon from the $599)

No problem at all "stacking" the 10% mover's coupon (from the Post Office) with the $50 Best Buy coupon. The Best Buy Customer service Rep was great (Perimeter Mall Atlanta). They asked, "where is everyone finding out about these deals...they had a mad rush on trade-in's today".

BTW...they didn't ask for the original 12W charger or Lightning cable...just the iPad....so got to keep those.

That is a smoking deal! Congrats and glad people having success as well! I am thoroughly impressed with the Air 2 so far.

Pjrufus

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
You have to trade in your old iPad by 11/8. It's guaranteed minimum of $200, in store only. For an iPad 2 (mine) that's $150 + $50. The only problem is, none of the stores within 2 hours of me (I didn't look further) have cellular in stock, only wifi.

I ordered mine online full price, for in store pickup, supposed to be there Friday. When I pick it up, I'll trade mine in, they'll credit my full price back, and redo it with the discount. At least that's what they told me in the store. I'm not holding my breath.

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
You have to trade in your old iPad by 11/8. It's guaranteed minimum of $200, in store only. For an iPad 2 (mine) that's $150 + $50. The only problem is, none of the stores within 2 hours of me (I didn't look further) have cellular in stock, only wifi.

I ordered mine online full price, for in store pickup, supposed to be there Friday. When I pick it up, I'll trade mine in, they'll credit my full price back, and redo it with the discount. At least that's what they told me in the store. I'm not holding my breath.
I did this with my WiFi-only Air 2... ordered for in-store pickup, and then when I went to pick it up, I traded in my original Air, returned the Air 2 that they held for pickup, and then re-bought it with the gift card + coupons. It sounds like it should be a simple enough process, but I ended up waiting at the customer service desk for over an hour while they figured everything out. Hopefully you'll have better luck. As I posted in another thread, I ended up getting a great deal from Best Buy.

$599.99 iPad Air 2
- $250 gift card from trade-in
- $50 trade-in coupon
- $15 RewardZone certificate
- $60 Mover's Coupon
+ $40.25 tax
$265.24 total out-of-pocket

Pjrufus

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I did this with my WiFi-only Air 2... ordered for in-store pickup, and then when I went to pick it up, I traded in my original Air, returned the Air 2 that they held for pickup, and then re-bought it with the gift card + coupons. It sounds like it should be a simple enough process, but I ended up waiting at the customer service desk for over an hour while they figured everything out. Hopefully you'll have better luck. As I posted in another thread, I ended up getting a great deal from Best Buy.

$599.99 iPad Air 2
- $50 trade-in coupon
- $60 Mover's Coupon
+ $40.25 tax

Thanks, I'm a little less worried about it now, and prepared for the wait. It's worth it to save $200, for sure.

ppfd

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
West Virginia USA
Just got home from Best Buy.

I traded a retina mini 32g wi fi space grey.
Received $206 trade in and $50.00 towards an air 2.

They only wanted the ipad. No box or charger.

I used the post office mover pack coupon for another 10% off.

Here is the kicker. Some sales people don't understand this coupon and the first gal I spoke with said I could not use it towards the ipad.

The BB/apple guy looked at it funny and I asked him to just try and scan it.
It worked and he said he had not seen these before.

I bought an air 2 128g wi fi
$700-256= $444 - 10%= $400.00

I also picked up a Targus case for $39.00, cheapest they had and decent. Looks like the new Apple case. Big thing- no magnets.

Also scored some Skull candy head phones were $60.00 for $23.00 on clearance!
Not a bad day :)

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I was hoping Best Buy was doing their $50 off Education discount on iPads still but they aren't.. so I settled on a mover's coupon myself on a 128gb unit.. Great deal!

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
I was hoping Best Buy was doing their $50 off Education discount on iPads still but they aren't.. so I settled on a mover's coupon myself on a 128gb unit.. Great deal!

Ask them to match it to Apple's education discount. I think it's $20 for iPads. It's not quite the $50, but it's something.

Rockies

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011

$599.99 iPad Air 2
- $50 trade-in coupon
- $60 Mover's Coupon
+ $40.25 tax

Not sure what credit card you paid with, but Discover Card has a price match guarantee up to 90 days from purchase. Typically Best Buy discounts the Ipad's around $50 - $75 around Black Friday. It would be an additional $50 - $75. Your out of pocket would be $190.24 (less $75). That is crazy good!

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Not sure what credit card you paid with, but Discover Card has a price match guarantee up to 90 days from purchase. Typically Best Buy discounts the Ipad's around $50 - $75 around Black Friday. It would be an additional $50 - $75. Your out of pocket would be $190.24 (less $75). That is crazy good!

I paid with a Barclaycard Arrival Plus card, which has a price match guarantee for 120 days after purchase. The only catch is that it has to be a print advertisement "printed in a newspaper, journal, magazine, or flyer... It does not apply to advertisements on the Internet." But I'm assuming Best Buy would print any Black Friday iPad sales in their newspaper advertisement.

----------

How are you guys getting the 3x reward zone points?

Best Buy sent out a coupon via email to some RZ members earlier this month. I think it was targeted for Elite/Elite Plus members.

yunro

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014

Thanks for the info, that is actually the Best Buy I was planning to go to, now just have to stop at the post office for the mover's pack.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Thanks for the info, that is actually the Best Buy I was planning to go to, now just have to stop at the post office for the mover's pack.

Yes, that was a great tip fro "Staindsoul"....who would have guessed that a 2 minute stop at the post office could net you an extra 10%:cool:

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Thanks for posting these tips! I was able to take advantage of this deal as well.

Last night, I traded in my iPad 3 to put towards a SG 128GB Air 2 Wifi and made use of the 10% movers coupon, my 3x points coupon, and a $10 Rewards Cert that I had also.

My purchase went like this:

$699.99
- $50 (trade-in coupon)
- $65 (10% movers coupon discount)
- $10 (rewards cert.)
-----------------------
$574.99
+ $47.44 (sales tax)
-----------------------
$622.43
- $185 (gift card for iPad 3 trade-in)
-----------------------
$437.43 (final out-of-pocket) :)

Even though the BB clerk scanned the mover's coupon first, the trade-in coupon took precidence in BB's system. That's the reason for getting $65 off vs $70.

I am Elite Plus status. When I logged into my account, the 3x points coupon was there. My husband had it also. He is not Elite/Elite Plus. The coupon states that it is for Rewards members (no mention of specific status) and its good through 10/31. The clerk gave it back to me so I could use it again.

Zorlac

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
Think BB will accept my 16gb Air Wifi that has a centimeter long hairthin scratch on the screen? My Air is otherwise perfect, but there is the scratch which you can only see if I point it out.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Think BB will accept my 16gb Air Wifi that has a centimeter long hairthin scratch on the screen? My Air is otherwise perfect, but there is the scratch which you can only see if I point it out.

They may not even notice it. The person who looked over mine did a cursory inspection (possibly because I had it in the original box and packed it neatly). My screen wasn't scratched but it needed a good glass cleaner from the screen protector being on so long. She was looking for anything obvious concerning defects, not stuff that required a magnifying glass. Her main concern to me was to make sure the device powered up properly and was wiped clean.

Good luck!

Lockon

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Thanks for the tips.

After trading in an iPad 3 and iPhone 5 at Best Buy, and selling my iPad mini and iPhone 4 to Gazelle.... I ended up paying $58 for a 64GB Cellular Air. None in stock, but ship to store was 5-7 days.

I received the the $50 coupon for the iPad, and they gave me an extra 10% for the iPhone 5 for some reason. Also used the movers coupon that I actually had from moving last month.

The trade in values were very close to recently completed eBay auctions For the iPad 3 and iPhone 5.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Will Best Buy take my Air if it has a corporate logo on the back? It's in mint condition.

chanesworth

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Can I trade in my Ipad 2 and pre order the Air 2 LTE version since best buy doesn't have any in stock yet?

Zorlac

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
Stopped by the local drugstore that has a post office inside as the regular USPS office is closed. Picked up a movers pack and sure enough there was a BB coupon in. Gonna do it tonight. Was hoping to get the black Air2 as I had a white Air and wanted to change it up, but they don't have it in stock and I cant go 5 days without an ipad.

Btw, where do you exactly go to do the trade in store?

Last edited:

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Btw, where do you exactly go to do the trade in store?
My store had me do it at the customer service area, the same place where people go to return or exchange products. I'm not sure if they can do it elsewhere. If not, I hope you don't have to wait in a long line...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.