Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seafoam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
I've recently installed Media Center 2.2 so I can send youtube videos straight to my ATV3, however all it seems to do is bring up a loading/buffering icon. I'm guessing this is to do with the latest Apple TV update as it had crippled some of my other apps that I used for ATV streaming.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue and managed to find a solution? I've looked all over google but couldn't find anything. Alternatively does anyone know of any working Safari extensions or standalone apps?

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
I'm using ClickToPlugin, which sends youtube clips from my MBA 2012 (Yosemite) to my ATV3 without issues.

seafoam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
I've used neither of these, but I'm wondering what advantage they have over using Youtube's Watch Later feature? (I put something on my Watch Later queue, then just pull that up on the ATV)

As someone else said it's a lot less hassle as it's just one click and then it's on the TV. Also I wouldn't be able to use the watch later feature as I can't login to my YouTube account on my ATV despite spending a whole day trying to work it out, it tells me my username/password is incorrect (even though it isn't as I login just fine on my laptop)

seafoam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
ATV3 7.0.1, ClickToPlugin 2.9.9 and OS X 10.10 on MBA 2012.

Awesome! This seemed to have done the trick by installing ClickToPlugin.

Is there anyway to use the default YouTube video player instead of the one ClickToPlugin replaces it with?

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
As someone else said it's a lot less hassle as it's just one click and then it's on the TV. Also I wouldn't be able to use the watch later feature as I can't login to my YouTube account on my ATV despite spending a whole day trying to work it out, it tells me my username/password is incorrect (even though it isn't as I login just fine on my laptop)

I went a googling, and click to plugin/clcik to flash appear to be Safari extensions that block flash and plugins?

Am I missing the atv functionality?

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Is there anyway to use the default YouTube video player instead of the one ClickToPlugin replaces it with?

In the ClickToPlugin settings menu there is a media tab where you can select default media player. However, youtube HTML5 is not one of them (there is PlugIn selection, but that only loads the flash plugin). Another issue with this is if you select other default media player than ClickToPlugin's HTML5 player is that you won't be able to use airplay.

That is, as far as I can see.

I went a googling, and click to plugin/clcik to flash appear to be Safari extensions that block flash and plugins?

Am I missing the atv functionality?

Yes, it is a Safari extension and yes it can block flash and plugins. However, it replaces flash and youtube's HTML5 player with an own HTML5 player that has a context menu from where you can select if you want to download a youtube clip or send it to an ATV.

Note however, that this extension only works with youtube clips (and to a limited extension with vimeo clips.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.