Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whatlifeforme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2011
I have a Samsung 840 Evo that I recently purchased new and installed.

I had a friend assist me in installing the drive. The instructions said to install software from Samsung's website. My friend said not to do this. Thus, I didn't.

I did however install "Trim Enabler" (http://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/).

1. Should I install the software from samsung's website?
2. Should I try and use samsung's software to enable trim, continue using the application from cindori, or do you recommend another method for enabling trim?

Thanks for reading. Please provide any advice you may have. :apple::cool:

whatlifeforme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2011
It says "The patch is active but trim is not working. Perhaps your SSD does not support trim, or you need to reboot." It did not display this message until i upgraded to yosemite.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Apparently TRIM enabler doesn't work under Yosemite. When I upgraded, it was even moved into "unsupported Software" folder.
I am not aware if they've upgraded their soft to match Yosemite.

awests

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
Apparently TRIM enabler doesn't work under Yosemite. When I upgraded, it was even moved into "unsupported Software" folder.

Yosemite introduced kext signing, which is how TRIM enabler enables TRIM. So technically its not supported by Apple, but it does support 3rd party SSD's under Yosemite. On the Cindori website there is a much better explanation.

OP, make sure TRIM is enabled, and restart your computer until it says "everything looks super".

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Yosemite introduced kext signing, which is how TRIM enabler enables TRIM. So technically its not supported by Apple, but it does support 3rd party SSD's under Yosemite. On the Cindori website there is a much better explanation.
Thanks! This was worthwhile reading!

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012

Trim Enabler DOES work on Yosemite, I have it running on both of my Macs.

OP, make sure TRIM is enabled, and restart your computer until it says "everything looks super".

Not quite. Trim Enabler basically modifies the Apple SATA driver to enable Trim on a non-Apple SSD. Once that driver is modified it can no longer be signed so the KEXT signing that Apple introduced with Yosemite needs to be disabled before Trim can be enabled. Enabling Trim requires 2 reboots now, and if you use Trim Enabler you need to turn it off before doing any OS updates.

awests

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
Trim Enabler DOES work on Yosemite, I have it running on both of my Macs.

Not quite. Trim Enabler basically modifies the Apple SATA driver to enable Trim on a non-Apple SSD. Once that driver is modified it can no longer be signed so the KEXT signing that Apple introduced with Yosemite needs to be disabled before Trim can be enabled. Enabling Trim requires 2 reboots now, and if you use Trim Enabler you need to turn it off before doing any OS updates.

I've actually installed updates with TRIM enabled with no problems.

thepen

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
Trim kext is altered in Yosemite. This is not relevant if you're using an Apple installed SSD. If you're using a DIY SSD, Trim support is tricky in Yosemite because of recent modifications to kext security management that affects Trim support. [More about Trim Enabler for Mac](http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/).

From the link:

About Trim in Yosemite In OS X 10.10 (Yosemite),

Apple has introduced a new security requirement called kext signing. (A kext is
a kernel extension, or a driver, in Mac OS X)

Kext signing basically works by checking if all the drivers in the
system are unaltered by a third party, or approved by Apple. If they
have been modified, Yosemite will no longer load the driver. This is a
means of enforcing security, but also a way for Apple to control what
hardware that third party developers can release OS X support for.

Since Trim Enabler works by unlocking the Trim driver for 3rd party
SSD’s, this security setting prevents Trim Enabler to enable Trim on
Yosemite.

To continue to use Trim Enabler and continue to get Trim for your
third party SSD, you first need to disable the kext signing security
setting.

It is important to note that the kext-signing setting is global, if
you disable it you should be careful to only install system drivers
from sources that you trust.​

If you do a PRAM reset, you may not be able to startup without doing some tweaks from recovery partition (see link for more explanation).

Unfortunately, there are now security tradeoffs and additional headaches if you decide to use Trim support in non-Apple SSDs on Yosemite.

Good Luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.