Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aycon

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
San Diego, CA
Thanks

Thanks matthew2926 - I will likely quit fiddling with the thing for a while until I get Tarkan's new adapter. Once I test it out I will post a quick review.

aycon

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
San Diego, CA
Working!

Dang, I loaded a little over half of my library (29K songs) on a 256GB Crucial chip and it WORKS! I have a little over 110GB remaining. This is a good first step!

aycon

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
San Diego, CA
Mild Setback

Using Tarkan's or a different one?

Actually, I have not received Tarkan's yet. And, it did not arrive in today's mail :-(

I have been using the ZIF to mSATA from Amazon recommended in an earlier post: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009BA5JU6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Currently I am experimenting with a Crucial 256GB mSATA. Loaded it with about 110GB of music and it worked great as noted in an earlier post. Recently I tried to bring the total up to almost 200GB of my collection - iTunes listed > 200GB of music with roughly 44GB of free space. No matter how long I left it idle, it just got stuck on the backlit, bright Apple logo. When I brought it back down to ab 163GB of music, it started to function properly again, with about 81 GB of free space. Does anyone have any ideas?

Finally, I have two other test iPod videos all of which have the ZIF to mSATA cards noted above. As well, I have Patriot 240GB mSATA and Crucial 480 in original packaging. I'm waiting for Tarkan's ZIF to mSATA board before I try any more configurations.

Happy modding! Allan

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ
Currently I am experimenting with a Crucial 256GB mSATA. Loaded it with about 110GB of music and it worked great as noted in an earlier post. Recently I tried to bring the total up to almost 200GB of my collection - iTunes listed > 200GB of music with roughly 44GB of free space. No matter how long I left it idle, it just got stuck on the backlit, bright Apple logo. When I brought it back down to ab 163GB of music, it started to function properly again, with about 81 GB of free space. Does anyone have any ideas?

I wonder if you're hitting a wall with maximum database size (i.e., number of songs). What size was the original hard drive? As I understand it, the 30gb ones had less memory than the larger ones and that this affected the maximum database size.

matthew2926

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2013
Michigan
I wonder if you're hitting a wall with maximum database size (i.e., number of songs). What size was the original hard drive? As I understand it, the 30gb ones had less memory than the larger ones and that this affected the maximum database size.

If it's an issue with the stock firmware and the large amount of songs, perhaps installing Rockbox might fix the problem. Even if you never intend to daily drive Rockbox, installing it an seeing if you could get all of your songs working with it would prove if you are dealing with a hardware or software issue. Just a thought...

aycon

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
San Diego, CA

Very well could be a size limit - I am not well versed on the limitations of the 30GB iPod Video versus the 80GB, but from what I've read the RAM size is 32mb and 64mb respectively. I'm not convinced this is a factor. As the system "hangs" with the more songs, I am more thinking something in the database is causing the challenge. For instance, I actually got it to work with 110GB of songs only after I removed Music Videos from the synch - just music alone, no videos in the synch.

But I am still having fun tinkering and learning!

----------

If it's an issue with the stock firmware and the large amount of songs, perhaps installing Rockbox might fix the problem. Even if you never intend to daily drive Rockbox, installing it an seeing if you could get all of your songs working with it would prove if you are dealing with a hardware or software issue. Just a thought...

GREAT point, as I now have the materials and the spare iPods, I will attempt to build a Rockbox unit. But with work and the honey-do lists, it may be a few weeks. :)

matthew2926

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2013
Michigan
Very well could be a size limit - I am not well versed on the limitations of the 30GB iPod Video versus the 80GB, but from what I've read the RAM size is 32mb and 64mb respectively. I'm not convinced this is a factor. As the system "hangs" with the more songs, I am more thinking something in the database is causing the challenge. For instance, I actually got it to work with 110GB of songs only after I removed Music Videos from the synch - just music alone, no videos in the synch.

But I am still having fun tinkering and learning!

----------

GREAT point, as I now have the materials and the spare iPods, I will attempt to build a Rockbox unit. But with work and the honey-do lists, it may be a few weeks. :)

Haha okay.

TJBoxing

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
I need your help!
I found this great post last week and I actually went to ebay and bought my self an ipod 5.5 30GB (nostalgia since I used to have one) and went ahead and bought all the parts you discribed, finally deciding on the 256GB Crucial mSATA.
Got the new drive formatted in OSX Extended (journaled) and at first I had plugged on the iPod with the ribbon cable inverted, it was giving me the little apple ipod sad face saying contact support, but after I rotated the mSATA it's now being recognize by the ipod. If I go into diagnostic mode, it sees 127GB (not the full 250GB or little less), but when I plug it in to the mac with iTunes running it boots up and it stays at "OK to disconnect..". I'm noticing it's draining the battery very quickly and after about 5-10 minutes it reboots and it says it displays the "very low battery" message.

I guess my question is, when you say "It takes iTunes 15-20 mints to recognize the new drive, does the ipod display the "Ok to disconnect" message for the whole 20 minutes? and after 20 minutes finally iTunes sees the new drive and it's ready for a restore?
I'm not sure if the battery is draining faster than it should, shutting off before iTunes can detect the new drive, or if there is something else wrong?

Everything else works fine, I can actually put back the original iPod hard drive and it boots fine, but when it does I see that the battery is totally dead. Right now I have it charging, I'll do a complete charge and I'll try again I guess.

Hope you can answer that "iTunes new drive detection" question brsedu.

Thanks!!:confused:

I can verify that the SSD mod is possible and works great!

I took a stock 5.5 generation, 30GB iPod with video. Opened it, took out the HDD, and added the Crucial m500 480GB mSATA SSD (about $280 on Amazon), using the adapter pictured in a post above.

I had to format the SSD BEFORE I put in the iPod, and that required another mSATA to USB external hard drive housing that I also bought on Amazon. For Mac, you format to Mac OS using Disk Utility. Once it was assembled it took quite a while for iTunes to initialize it and set it up as new, so if this happens, don't worry if it takes 15-20 minutes once you plug it in iTunes.

The whole modification fits nicely in the 30GB housing, although a little snug, but the case snapped closed.

The only caveats I can offer are:
Formatted capacity of a 480GB SSD ends up being 446GB, and
The whole iPod gets very warm when loading with media. Not burning hot, but very warm to the touch. It also gets warm when being used.

These are not deal breakers, though.

In total, this modification cost $300 (480GB mSATA SSD) + $20 (mSATA to ZIF adapter) + $10 (mSATA to USB external hard drive enclosure for disk formatting) = $330. There are less expensive, lower-capacity mSATA SSDs available out there. And there are more costly 512GB and 960GB ones, too. That might be my next project.

I also made sure to have extra parts on hand from other 5.5 generation iPod Video units. For example: new face plate, new back plate, headphone jack/hold switch assembly, opening tools, battery, etc., just in case I messed up and broke stuff, which inevitably happens. The worst part was breaking one of the ribbon cable latches on the mainboard: those are not easily repaired, and I don't know how to solder, so I had to use a spare mainboard. Replacement mainboards and all these extra parts can be purchased through rapidrepair.com or eBay for about $60-$80.

The most important thing to consider (that I have found in my research) is that the BEST iPod to work is a 5.5 generation 30GB or 80GB, mainboard part # 820-1975-A that has 64MB of RAM. There is something about that one that makes it better able to handle the increased capacity.

Using all of these parts and considering all the factors I described, this has been an excellent project, well worth the investment and time.

TJBoxing

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
I fully charged it yesterday and this morning I plugged it into my iMac with iTunes opened for over 1 hour and nothing, it stays on "Ok to disconnect.."
Not sure what else to do, the only thing I can do is to actually get the 480GB version (same one brsedu says worked on his 30GB 5.5 model since I bought only the 250GB of the same drive) but other than that I don't know where to go from here.

Any ideas??

aycon

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
San Diego, CA
I fully charged it yesterday and this morning I plugged it into my iMac with iTunes opened for over 1 hour and nothing, it stays on "Ok to disconnect.."
Not sure what else to do, the only thing I can do is to actually get the 480GB version (same one brsedu says worked on his 30GB 5.5 model since I bought only the 250GB of the same drive) but other than that I don't know where to go from here.

Any ideas??

You are very much on the right track. In my experimentation, I have found that one does not need to pre-format the drive, the iPod will do it for you. One thing to keep in mind is that if you bought a used iPod, chance are the battery is pretty worn down and will likely not hold a charge for any length of time. Get yourself a new battery and start the whole process over. I (mostly) followed brsedu's guide, differing on a few points but eventually getting a very workable 448 GB version on a 5.5 80 GB iPod. I also built a 256 GB on a 30 GB 5.5. When formatted via the iPod Restore, the 256 now has 238 GB of available storage, which is enough for most. My only challenge with this one I have not been able to understand is I am not able to put 230 GB of music on it - it just cannot handle the load - I had to back off to 156 GB with 82 GB of free space to make it function...this lead me to the 480 GB Crucial mSATA.

So, get a new battery, put the old HDD drive back in, fully charge and start all over again. But don't expect the full 256 GB, as you wont get it based on my limited knowledge.

Also, as Tarkan notes on his website and in his directions, once you load data on the mSATA, let it sit connected to power for 10 minutes or more, so the mSATA can do it's housekeeping chores. I totally forgot about this in my exuberance to play with my new toy, causing me many hours of frustration.

In my opinion, if you can get to a Windows machine and perform a "Clean" on your Crucial 256 GB chip you will be able to really start from scratch - see the Crucial website for instructions. In my 480 GB version, I put the uninitialized drive directly in the iPod and let if format it through Restore and it performed quite well - I am working on a post of what I have learned to date and why - though I guess I have most of what I have learned in this reply, just not organized - ha!

Finally, many have mentioned going with a Crucial mSATA as you chose. I did indeed try other manufacturers with VERY poor results. I think some of these actually draw more the the 3.3v power that is standard for the mSATA. One test is, if you plug it in to a USB powered enclosure and it recognizes the drive, asking to initialize the drive (you don't need to,) then you have a good candidate. The other manufacturers I tried were not even recognized. Crucial's fired up, lights blinking ready to be initialized. I have read Samsung is good too, but I have not personally tried their mSATA, but I do have their SSD's in some of my other machines. (Not making any endorsements here, just noting what has worked and what has not.)

Have fun - I just received Tarkan's version of the ZIF to mSATA adapter and have not had a chance to tinker with it as of yet. Looks beautiful though. BTW, I don't think I mentioned it, but the 480 GB version noted above seems to work very well thus far; and it holds my entire 230+GB collection of music. Taking it on a business trip next week, so I'll see how the battery holds up.

aycon

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
San Diego, CA

Any ideas??

Assuming here you are in the initial stages and doing an iPod Restore. When it says OK to disconnect, and you have waited over 10-20 minutes, go ahead and disconnect. You will wait for a bit and then the screen will boot to the normal iPod screen and ask you to select a language. Select your language. Go to the "About" menu item and see what the hard drive formatted out to - it will be far less than what you put in there - see brsedu's and my posts. Put the iPod back on the stand alone charger and give it another full charge. Once charged, plug it back into your computer, perform a sync with just music for now - I have found some of the newer video formats cause the iPod to hang. You may want to consider only part of your library first as a test. Once the sync is complete, I would recommend leaving the Ipod connected to your computer and iTunes for another 10-20 minutes - no data exchange will turn on the chips housekeeping functions (remember, I am Mr. Impatient.) After letting it set, go ahead and "eject" the iPod from iTunes and leave it alone (again,) and wait for the "OK to Disconnect"

Hope this helps!

aycon

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
San Diego, CA
Would this work with an ipod video (5th gen, 80gb):

[url=http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t364/arb2261977/20141011_181200-1_zpsmdk6pjjj.jpg]Image[/URL]

It's a 128gb Half-slim SATA SSD.

It might work - just depends on if you can fit both the half slim SATA and the ZIF to SATA adapter inside the iPod case.

----------

Would this work with an ipod video (5th gen, 80gb):

[url=http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t364/arb2261977/20141011_181200-1_zpsmdk6pjjj.jpg]Image[/URL]

It's a 128gb Half-slim SATA SSD.

NEVERMIND -I just looked at the photo in more detail - I don't believe it will work. SATA is 5 volts; the iPod uses 3.3 volt drives. Sorry about that. :eek:

aycon

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
San Diego, CA
I'm curious about how the battery holds up. Could you also provide a link to the replacement battery you used?

The new battery held up nicely - 58+ songs on a 5+ hour flight, and the battery only discharged about 45%.

As to manufacturer, I don't quite recall. However, I believe the battery in this iteration was indeed a Lennar battery.

boiev

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
You are very much on the right track. In my experimentation, I have found that one does not need to pre-format the drive, the iPod will do it for you. One thing to keep in mind is that if you bought a used iPod, chance are the battery is pretty worn down and will likely not hold a charge for any length of time. Get yourself a new battery and start the whole process over. I (mostly) followed brsedu's guide, differing on a few points but eventually getting a very workable 448 GB version on a 5.5 80 GB iPod. I also built a 256 GB on a 30 GB 5.5. When formatted via the iPod Restore, the 256 now has 238 GB of available storage, which is enough for most. My only challenge with this one I have not been able to understand is I am not able to put 230 GB of music on it - it just cannot handle the load - I had to back off to 156 GB with 82 GB of free space to make it function...this lead me to the 480 GB Crucial mSATA.

So, get a new battery, put the old HDD drive back in, fully charge and start all over again. But don't expect the full 256 GB, as you wont get it based on my limited knowledge.

Also, as Tarkan notes on his website and in his directions, once you load data on the mSATA, let it sit connected to power for 10 minutes or more, so the mSATA can do it's housekeeping chores. I totally forgot about this in my exuberance to play with my new toy, causing me many hours of frustration.

In my opinion, if you can get to a Windows machine and perform a "Clean" on your Crucial 256 GB chip you will be able to really start from scratch - see the Crucial website for instructions. In my 480 GB version, I put the uninitialized drive directly in the iPod and let if format it through Restore and it performed quite well - I am working on a post of what I have learned to date and why - though I guess I have most of what I have learned in this reply, just not organized - ha!

Finally, many have mentioned going with a Crucial mSATA as you chose. I did indeed try other manufacturers with VERY poor results. I think some of these actually draw more the the 3.3v power that is standard for the mSATA. One test is, if you plug it in to a USB powered enclosure and it recognizes the drive, asking to initialize the drive (you don't need to,) then you have a good candidate. The other manufacturers I tried were not even recognized. Crucial's fired up, lights blinking ready to be initialized. I have read Samsung is good too, but I have not personally tried their mSATA, but I do have their SSD's in some of my other machines. (Not making any endorsements here, just noting what has worked and what has not.)

Have fun - I just received Tarkan's version of the ZIF to mSATA adapter and have not had a chance to tinker with it as of yet. Looks beautiful though. BTW, I don't think I mentioned it, but the 480 GB version noted above seems to work very well thus far; and it holds my entire 230+GB collection of music. Taking it on a business trip next week, so I'll see how the battery holds up.

Hello! Just want to update my 5.5 80Gb to 480. What i need to know? Does SSD get hot when iPod work? And what about SSD and battery life? Just need to know details because SSD memory is expansive price for mistakes...

aycon

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
San Diego, CA
1TB iPod

Well, I did it - a 1TB iPod (actually formatted out to 931GB) This is in addition to my 256GB and 480GB working versions. I used Tarkan's ZIF to mSATA adapter and it is nothing short of AMAZING! Fits perfectly! There are a few things I have learned which might help to reduce the chance of frying one of these expensive mSATA chips. As I have no need for a 932 GB iPod, I will likely just stick with my working 480GB (447) version for my own use. $500 is a lot for a 1TB chip, so I will re-purpose it elsewhere (already in the plan,) but I just HAD to try getting a 1TB version! :cool:

I will post a step-by-step when I get a few free minutes, but in the meantime, here is a photo of the iPod "About" section.

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 732

aycon

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
San Diego, CA
Than is AMAZING! I just wish it didn't cost so much.

Indeed, it IS expensive, but if one needs a iPod with nearly 1TB of storage, it is the only solution I am aware of.

My library is around 240GB, so 480GB which formats as 447GB of useable free space is about as big as I anticipate my need to be.

XC-3730C

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2014
I understand the need for such a large size. I only have music in FLAC format, so the extra space makes sense.

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2009
Well, I did it - a 1TB iPod (actually formatted out to 931GB) This is in addition to my 256GB and 480GB working versions. I used Tarkan's ZIF to mSATA adapter and it is nothing short of AMAZING! Fits perfectly! There are a few things I have learned which might help to reduce the chance of frying one of these expensive mSATA chips. As I have no need for a 932 GB iPod, I will likely just stick with my working 480GB (447) version for my own use. $500 is a lot for a 1TB chip, so I will re-purpose it elsewhere (already in the plan,) but I just HAD to try getting a 1TB version! :cool:

I will post a step-by-step when I get a few free minutes, but in the meantime, here is a photo of the iPod "About" section.
Would be very interested in a steo by step guide, I have a 30gb that needs a new screen so may do this upgrade at the same time

quebert

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2014
*BUMP* I found this thread and have a question, what does going to an SSD do for performance? I had an iPod Classic 7th gen in my car hooked to my Pioneer head unit. Searching for songs or trying to pull up the tracks on the album I was listening to was pretty slow. I know going from HD to SSD on my desktop was night and day different. Wondering if if I did this to an iPod would I see the same thing, or at least something close. I'm assuming it will be more responsive, but I'm not trying to spend $$$ to find out.

diblon

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2014

Hello there, I have a 30gig 5.5 gen ipod looking to upgrade with the Micro Cable mSATA to ZIF adapter (Amazon) and a Samsung 840 evo 250gb mSATA. Everything worked fine after the install. I did not pre-format the drive. iTunes recognized the drive, restored it to new and synced my entire library (80gb worth). Here starts the problem. Upon ejection the ipod is stuck in the Apple dark logo, it will try to boot (light apple logo) and then will go into the "wait, low battery" warning. The cycles continues endlessly even overnight. Any suggestions?

----------

I can verify that the SSD mod is possible and works great!

I took a stock 5.5 generation, 30GB iPod with video. Opened it, took out the HDD, and added the Crucial m500 480GB mSATA SSD (about $280 on Amazon), using the adapter pictured in a post above.

I had to format the SSD BEFORE I put in the iPod, and that required another mSATA to USB external hard drive housing that I also bought on Amazon. For Mac, you format to Mac OS using Disk Utility. Once it was assembled it took quite a while for iTunes to initialize it and set it up as new, so if this happens, don't worry if it takes 15-20 minutes once you plug it in iTunes.

The whole modification fits nicely in the 30GB housing, although a little snug, but the case snapped closed.

The only caveats I can offer are:
Formatted capacity of a 480GB SSD ends up being 446GB, and
The whole iPod gets very warm when loading with media. Not burning hot, but very warm to the touch. It also gets warm when being used.

These are not deal breakers, though.

In total, this modification cost $300 (480GB mSATA SSD) + $20 (mSATA to ZIF adapter) + $10 (mSATA to USB external hard drive enclosure for disk formatting) = $330. There are less expensive, lower-capacity mSATA SSDs available out there. And there are more costly 512GB and 960GB ones, too. That might be my next project.

I also made sure to have extra parts on hand from other 5.5 generation iPod Video units. For example: new face plate, new back plate, headphone jack/hold switch assembly, opening tools, battery, etc., just in case I messed up and broke stuff, which inevitably happens. The worst part was breaking one of the ribbon cable latches on the mainboard: those are not easily repaired, and I don't know how to solder, so I had to use a spare mainboard. Replacement mainboards and all these extra parts can be purchased through rapidrepair.com or eBay for about $60-$80.

The most important thing to consider (that I have found in my research) is that the BEST iPod to work is a 5.5 generation 30GB or 80GB, mainboard part # 820-1975-A that has 64MB of RAM. There is something about that one that makes it better able to handle the increased capacity.

Using all of these parts and considering all the factors I described, this has been an excellent project, well worth the investment and time.

Hello there, I have a 30gig 5.5 gen ipod looking to upgrade with the Micro Cable mSATA to ZIF adapter (Amazon) and a Samsung 840 evo 250gb mSATA. Everything worked fine after the install. I did not pre-format the drive. iTunes recognized the drive, restored it to new and synced my entire library (80gb worth). Here starts the problem. Upon ejection the ipod is stuck in the Apple dark logo, it will try to boot (light apple logo) and then will go into the "wait, low battery" warning. The cycles continues endlessly even overnight. Any suggestions

*********SOLVED*********
Just for those who might be going through the same problem. Here is what I did to get the iPod running.
I put it in Disk Mode then plugged into a Mac. Opened Disk Utility and the Disk was present. I formatted it using MAC OS Extended (Journaled). After formatting iPod now asked to be restored which I did with iTunes, Synced my Library, ejected it and peaches..... So could it be that the disk needed to be formatted first as posted above? While others reported not needing to do so in their case, it seems to be the solution in mine.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.