Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Too pricey? It's cheaper than the note 4 and cheaper than the 6 plus.

You are splitting hairs about prices for cell phones when you are at the $700 price point. $700 64gb nexus 6. $729-$850 for note 4 depending on carrier and $850 for iphone 6 64gb.

At those price points. $100 isn't going to matter to most people especially if subsidized price or payments spread over 18-24 months with zero percent financing.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah, I'm kind of hoping that Apple figures out how to integrate the Touch ID into the screen so we can have a full edge to edge display. Or, move it to the back of the phone.

They could stick the scanner on the back and integrate it into the apple logo. That would be awesome.

speed4tu

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
They could stick the scanner on the back and integrate it into the apple logo. That would be awesome.

Ya that won't happen. Another manufacturer will have to do it first for a couple years then Apple will take it, rename it and claim its the best thing ever

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Raleigh NC
My buddy from work was waiting to replace his Nexus 4 for the Nexus 6 but the price was too high for him. He just got his OnePlus One and he really likes it.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Just looking at the hardware, you get about 2x the specs for hundreds less in a design that's just as attractive. If I'm buying a big phone, I'd rather have 0.5" more screen in a body only slightly bigger, more ergonomic to hold and less prone to slipping, and lots more hw features that is more future proof.

I think the only thing that might be better on iPhone is the camera, they always have great ones. But we don't know much about N6 camera yet.

Software is another matter, that's a very personal preference.

----------

And I don't really see how anyone can complain about the price esp when comparing to an iPhone. iPhone costs much much more.

Google finally made a device with no compromises like last 2 Nexus phones, and priced it very competitively. Apple would charge $1200 for this kind of hardware.

sunfire7

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Fingerprint sensor was done before apple, everyone knows that, but apple made it fast and reliable, that is the difference

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Okay. So, if fingerprint technology was done before, then tell me why it took so long for it to be done well on the mobile side of things?

I wouldn't know. What's your point?

The same question can be applied towards the IR sensor. It sucked on older smartphones, the range wasn't good and it was slow. The IR sensors on smartphones today are just as good as dedicated remotes.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Apple will take it, rename it and claim its the best thing ever

That is such an ignorant statement.

Did mp3 players exist before the iPod?

Sure. Were they any good? Meh(I had a Creative Labs USB mp3 player). Apple not only released their own mp3 player but they effectively changed the way we consumed music. (Are you even old enough to remember paying $17.00 for a CD just for 1 song?)

Did tablets exist before the iPad?

Take your time naming one if you can remember. I'll start you off with Windows Tablet PC and the Cassiopeia.
Apple released the iPad and created an entire category of device even though naysayers all droned "who needs that? it's just a big iPhone". Yah, that big iPhone is being used in schools as textbooks, airlines as flight books and in the military.

Did SmartPhones exist before the iPhone?

Sure audiovox PPC 6600, Palm Pilot and others.

Apple's iPhone blew the smartphone market wide open and for at least 2-3 years everyone was trying to be the "iPhone killer".

Did Fingerprint sensors exist before?

Yep, my crappy work Laptop has one. Does it work? If I'm lucky

Apple's touch ID is so reliable and secure it's become the security layer of Apple Pay. (Heck even Samsung's sensor being so new isn't as good).

NFC Payments. Is Apple first? no. Even if Apply pay has its glitches it's being talked about. Who even talks about Google Wallet?

Give Apple Credit when its' due. They may not be FIRST on the scene but when they DO release a product, it's done correctly and not just "taken and renamed".

May as well add the Apple watch to the list. That thing is going to blow another market wide open next year.
"who needs a smart watch" - you will see next year.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
This thread is just like many others .....

Basically I have brand new product A but product B looks great too...

Just another case of people thinking the grass is always greener on the other side ...

Rather than just appreciate the fact it's all the same frickin grass - just different field....

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I like iOS and android almost equally, but as far as design, for my taste, nothing beats an iPhone. If we're talking about "sexy", then no. Nexus 6 doesn't look sexy.

While that is your opinion and you're most certainly entitled to it, I think the Nexus 6 is the 'sexiest' Nexus phone yet. The Galaxy Nexus left a lot to be desired aesthetically. But they seem to be improving with each new release; as does Android.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'm looking forward to checking out the Nexus 6 in the flesh. Looks like a solid product.

It's BIG though. To an overkill extent for a phone.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Okay. So, if fingerprint technology was done before, then tell me why it took so long for it to be done well on the mobile side of things?

Pretty sure Apple bought the company supplying the technology to Motorola. I know there is another phone that showed off an awesome fingerprint scanner at a tech show recently..heres hoping to that technology coming to our phones here.

----------

I'm looking forward to checking out the Nexus 6 in the flesh. Looks like a solid product.

It's BIG though. To an overkill extent for a phone.

I'm really hoping it feels less big than it is. The 6 plus doesn't feel that big to me and i'm not against the thicker concave look as I expect it to feel nice in the hand.

You would think that having on screen buttons should allow Google to produce a phone with a larger screen than those without onscreen buttons...I guess we will just have to get our hands on it and see how it feels.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
This thread is just like many others .....

Basically I have brand new product A but product B looks great too...

Just another case of people thinking the grass is always greener on the other side ...

Rather than just appreciate the fact it's all the same frickin grass - just different field....

Bang on.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Fingerprint sensor was done before apple, everyone knows that, but apple made it fast and reliable, that is the difference

The fingerprint scanner is the only thing I really liked about the iPhone 6. It worked 49 out of 50 times when I used it. Right before returning it I literally had only one failed attempt and that was because I was lazy. I love my Note 4 but the scanner only works good with my index fingers and it's only working 8 out of 10 tries. The scanner sucks with my thumbs.
But Android Lollipop will change all that with trusted devices such as Bluetooth or NFC devices. You can get one of those cheap NFC rings or any Bluetooth device for it to automatically unlock. I'm actually going to look at some of these Android apps right now for that same functionality while I'm waiting for Lollipop to hit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.