Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Hi, i'm currently debate between the 13 mba and 13 rmbp, could you tell me does the rmbp feel much heavier when you hold it in one hand from the side at open mode? Thanks.

I want to start by saying that in general the 13" rMBP does not feel "heavy." However, holding it specifically that way - open, holding it with one hand from the side - it does feel MUCH heavier to me than the 13" MBA.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
I'm between the Air the MBP Retina .....

Any suggestions?

Does the Retina make that big a difference ?

Anyone regret the MBAP ?

Went from 13 MBA to 15 rMBP.
NO regrets - never going back to non-retina.
Living with the extra weight - just removed about 2lbs of stuff from my notebook bag.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Went from 13 MBA to 15 rMBP.

NO regrets - never going back to non-retina.

Living with the extra weight - just removed about 2lbs of stuff from my notebook bag.

I never had a MBA, but I had a wMB and I can say there is a huge difference when I bought my 15 rMBP. Very worth it. I may buy a 13 rMBP next time, or something else, as long as it is retina.

One more thing: Macs renders fonts differently than Windows does. Windows uses ClearType to make text more legible on the screen, but it somehow distorts the fonts. OS X uses Quartz, that keeps the fonts as they were, but the resulting text is less legible on the screen and looks blurry unless a very high resolution is used. As a result, Windows is better for reading text at low resolution screens. However, text on a retina display under OS X looks stunning!

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I bought a 2013 MBA 11 - screen too small and keyboard felt cramped - returned it

Bought a 2013 MBA 13 - key travel too shallow, 4gb ram limitation (had Best Buy gift cards so was stuck with stock configurations), screen was so-so compared to the rMBP

Finally, bought a 2013 rMBP 13, felt at home again, loss in battery life worth it as I don't use my computer more than 4-5 hours a day anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.