Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
It's a sad day in Rock N Roll.. Legendary Cream Bassist Jack Bruce passed away today at the age of 71. No details given yet.
One of my all time favorite bass players, that's for sure. :(

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
RIP Jack.

Ginger, Eric and you made the heavens rock, the first true super group in rock history.

Wheels of Fire will always make me remember 1968.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I'm amazed Ginger's still alive and still playing. I figured he'd be the first to go. BTW, I was 15 in 1967 when I first discovered Cream (Disraeli Gears). I think I'll put that album on right now to bring me back when life was simple and care free...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I'm amazed Ginger's still alive and still playing. I figured he'd be the first to go. BTW, I was 15 in 1967 when I first discovered Cream (Disraeli Gears). I think I'll put that album on right now to bring me back when life was simple and care free...

Hah ! One on the first albums I tripped to at the ripe age of 15.

THE best 3-man Power rock band ever.

Great album cover too.

1967CreamDisraeliGears.jpg

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
It is a good job you used the defining word "Power", as the Jimi Hendrix Experience absolutely wiped the floor with them. Fact.

I think it can be said that, if Jimi would have lasted longer, they would be, but the fact he was cut short probably lends credence to the statement.

I for one love Jimi. Cream is to me, good, but you are right, Jimi had something about him and his music that I liked. But Cream had some great hits.

When I think of Power though, I think of Black Sabbath. Not either of these two....

RIP Mr. Bruce...............

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Very sorry to hear that; and 71 is not so ancient these days (although the Rock & Roll lifestyle did take its inevitable toll on some of its legends). Anyway, Cream gave us some really great music…...

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Not to cause issues but the Yardbirds were around before Cream.

Yes they were but they were not a SUPER group.

History of Supergroups.

It became popular in late 1960s rock music for members of already successful groups to record an album together, after which they normally split up.In 1969, Rolling Stone editor Jann Wenner credited Cream with being the first supergroup and they are still widely recognised as the archetype of the short-lived much-hyped rock supergroup. Cream comprised Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker who, after three years and four albums, split up, Clapton and Baker going on to form a new group Blind Faith.

The term may have come from the 1968 album Super Session with Al Kooper, Mike Bloomfield, and Stephen Stills. The coalition of Crosby, Stills & Nash (later Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young) is another early example, given the success of their prior bands (The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, and The Hollies respectively).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergroup_(music)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.