Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
I'm still on iOS 5.1.1 because of all the issues I've heard with iOS 6 on iPod touch 4th generation. Is iOS 6.1.2 more stable?

If interested in the free ram usage on my iPod touch 4g:
iOS 6.0: 80mb

iOS 5.1.1: 140mb
IOS 4.3.2: 137 mb
(Took along time to downgrade and restore back up to iOS 6)
I got the average ram after a respring and after clearing the memory 3 times but iOS 6 couldn't free the memory so average couldn't get a little boost like other iOS versions. I got the free ram numbers from sbsettings and sbsettings is not fully compatible with iOS 6 so that might of been a factor.

I defiantly noticed the lack of ram in apps. It's the first iOS version where stock apps crashed on me. Settings and the app store crashed 5 minutes in. (I always restore when I upgrade so that is not the problem)
I hope I gave you some insight what is going on with iOS 6.
I might update you guys later with better results when sbsettings is compatible with iOS 6.

Some issues:

-Booting up takes longer

-Opening stock apps such as settings or camera take long

-Lower FPS on apps mainly games.

-Worse battery life

-App Store crashing when trying to search.

-Wifi issues

-Crashes to Safari? I know 4g only has 256MB RAM but 6.0 (and even 5.1.1) made Safari crash far more often which is annoying (as this also means all background apps have to reload). Although on 5.1 Safari never crashed on me.

Also I like iOS 5.1.1 over iOS 6 because:

-New App Store/iTunes layout which I hate

-Removal of Youtube app, I liked this app since it was simple with no adds

-New music layout which I hate because everything is white

-Apple Maps, enough said about that

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
I'm still on iOS 5.1.1 because of all the issues I've heard with iOS 6 on iPod touch 4th generation. Is iOS 6.1.2 more stable?

Some issues:

-Booting up takes longer

-Worse battery life

-Wifi issues

-Crashes to Safari? I know 4g only has 256MB RAM but 6.0 (and even 5.1.1) made Safari crash far more often which is annoying (as this also means all background apps have to reload). Although on 5.1 Safari never crashed on me.

used an iPod touch 4g with iOS 6.1.2 yesterday,operation was smooth but there was lagging yes,especially when opening settings and apps had to reload very often but it was definitely usable especially taking into account that its a 2010 product.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
used an iPod touch 4g with iOS 6.1.2 yesterday,operation was smooth but there was lagging yes,especially when opening settings and apps had to reload very often but it was definitely usable especially taking into account that its a 2010 product.

Thanks for your comment. When you mention "apps had to reload often" how many background apps before the refresh? For example if I have music running, Safari, settings, App Store and mail would it refresh? Or only when intense apps are running in the background like a game and trying to go back to Safari it refreshes the page?

Also can you try these two websites and tell me if they crash the iPod (with no background apps running):

-Apple iPhone 5 website
-Google News Desktop site

The reason I made this thread now is because a few days ago at the Apple Store, the touch 4g was at 6.1.2 and the 2 websites did not crash (unlike mine on 5.1.1). No matter how many times I double tapped/zoomed in-and-out. Perhaps the ones in display are 'enhanced' 4g touches or 6.1.2 is more stable. I'd like to think the latter.

I would be willing to put up with the changes in iOS 6 if Safari is stable.

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
Thanks for your comment. When you mention "apps had to reload often" how many background apps before the refresh? For example if I have music running, Safari, settings, App Store and mail would it refresh? Or only when intense apps are running in the background like a game and trying to go back to Safari it refreshes the page?

Also can you try these two websites and tell me if they crash the iPod (with no background apps running):

-Apple iPhone 5 website
-Google News Desktop site

The reason I made this thread now is because a few days ago at the Apple Store, the touch 4g was at 6.1.2 and the 2 websites did not crash (unlike mine on 5.1.1). No matter how many times I double tapped/zoomed in-and-out. Perhaps the ones in display are 'enhanced' 4g touches or 6.1.2 is more stable. I'd like to think the latter.

I would be willing to put up with the changes in iOS 6 if Safari is stable.

It had a game called Zombie Tsunami running,opened settings and turned on wifi,went on Facebook,the game had been closed from memory.

Can't try those websites as the touch isn't mine and im not sure when i'll see the owner again but there aren't any enhanced 4g touches,apple probably just tweaked the way safari handled low memory situations.

RylanH16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Not exactly

It's not the OS, just the 4th gen sucks. It's been that way for me since iOS 5. I can live with it just don't play intense games on it

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
It had a game called Zombie Tsunami running,opened settings and turned on wifi,went on Facebook,the game had been closed from memory.

Can't try those websites as the touch isn't mine and im not sure when i'll see the owner again but there aren't any enhanced 4g touches,apple probably just tweaked the way safari handled low memory situations.

Yes I agree. In 5.1.1 it seems like if iOS senses the OS running out of memory it crashes Safari while 5.1, still tries to chug along and not crash Safari.

It's not the OS, just the 4th gen sucks. It's been that way for me since iOS 5. I can live with it just don't play intense games on it

I disagree that it sucks. iOS 6 runs quite well on iPhone 4 (similar specs to touch 4g but with 512mb RAM) and even 3gs. 3gs and touch 4g/3rd gen ran iOS 5.1 quite well.

Also check this out:
6.1 is indeed faster than any 5.x on the iPod touch 4G. But it's night and day behind the touch 5G. You only notice that when you pick one up and after the 'oh my god this ipod is so light' reaction, you notice the speed difference. If it's possible, upgrade.

Puddintame

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
My older iPod (4G) crashes when

I play Star Wars 2 or Stella. It never crashed until after I installed 6.1.2 I hope an upgrade becomes available because I take my 4G when traveling & leave my 5G at home.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA

Some issues:

-Booting up takes longer

-Worse battery life

-Wifi issues

Mine has NO problems...no lag, glitch, wait time...it's still like when I bought it in 2010

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.