Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hmm chocolate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Japan
After much research and lurking the boards I have finally decided to ask the more experienced members here who have owned several apple machines for advice! :eek:

I have owned a 2011 iMac 21.5 before but passed it down to a family member after moving abroad for my studies. I loved the iMac's reliability and the screen. However, for some unfathomable reason, or lapse in judgement, I opted for a vaio laptop after moving here. I thought that surely all non apple ultrabooks must have caught up by now. That lag tho, what have I done? The only thing this 1500 dollars potato can do efficiently without lagging is microsoft office and surfing the web. :mad: :mad:As soon as I load a youtube video - forget it. Scrolling up and down a PDF or a website is laggy and arduous. Well, enough of that.

I do enjoy the large screen of the iMac, but since I'll be writing many papers for Uni, I think I'd prefer using a laptop allowing me to move around the appartment freely. I did consider the rMBP 13, but if I'm already going to shell out over 1k, I'd use it on something with power. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means but I do occasionally play the sims 4 & tera online once a week maybe. I also don't think I'd bring a laptop to uni with me everday even if it's a 13 or even 11 inch MBA. However I would bring a laptop with me to the library once or twice a week perhaps to get some real work done.

I also like the idea of having a desktop replacement worthy portable device. However, for the same price, I could get an iMac (2.7ghz model) and an iPad Air 2 to boot. I do have an iPad mini which is great for recording lectures and taking notes but too small for creating any significant content.

Does anybody here, in particular students, have any experience with the iMac & iPad setup for uni work? Those with rMBP 15, do you sometimes feel the screen is not enough? Is it really that much of a drag to carry around?
Thank you for reading!

MrViking

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
I have a device in all your categories.

For more serious work (typing for extended periods of time), a desk is most comfortable with a screen at proper hight..

So the iMac would be the way to go.

Get an iPad to take with you, do some work on the couch etc.

Sell the Mini and use that money to get a good keyboard/stand-case (combo-thing).

That's what I would do. I used to own a 15" MacBook (2009-2013) and it wasn't too cumbersome. But typing on it longer periods of time was strenuous on the neck/shoulders because the screen is so low to the desk/table!

vkuram

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
15" MacBook Pro retina experience

I used to have an iMac 20", and used a MacBook Pro 13" for note taking on the go. This year I replaced that setup with a late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina 15". Best decision ever. The screen is plenty big, and incredibly sharp. I have no problem taking this with me to classes, and it's not super heavy. The only problem is when you put this in a backpack. It feels like you added bricks to your bag. If you carry it separately then the rMBP 15" is plenty portable.

Hmm chocolate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Japan
I have a device in all your categories.

For more serious work (typing for extended periods of time), a desk is most comfortable with a screen at proper hight..

So the iMac would be the way to go.

Get an iPad to take with you, do some work on the couch etc.

Sell the Mini and use that money to get a good keyboard/stand-case (combo-thing).

That's what I would do. I used to own a 15" MacBook (2009-2013) and it wasn't too cumbersome. But typing on it longer periods of time was strenuous on the neck/shoulders because the screen is so low to the desk/table!

Thanks for the advice! :) I haven't thought of posture but I do see your point now. I was leaning toward the rmbp but that definitely makes a difference when you're sitting at a desk for hours.

I used to have an iMac 20", and used a MacBook Pro 13" for note taking on the go. This year I replaced that setup with a late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina 15". Best decision ever. The screen is plenty big, and incredibly sharp. I have no problem taking this with me to classes, and it's not super heavy. The only problem is when you put this in a backpack. It feels like you added bricks to your bag. If you carry it separately then the rMBP 15" is plenty portable.

I'm glad to hear that! Do you think it was the best decision ever because of the retina screen?
Yeah, in case I opt for the rMBP 15 I'd get an extra bag for it. Thankfully I store most of my books in my ipad mini so I never carry around much weight with me.

mstgkillr

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2012
I am a Civil Engineering student and I own or have owned a 15" MBP, 15" RMBP, Mac Mini, 13" MBA, and a 13" RMBP. I much prefer the 15" RMBP to everything listed. I thought the 13" RMBP would be more much more portable but the very slight increase in portability doesn't even come close to make up for the smaller screen. I almost forgot to mention my iPad 2 and 3 which I hardly even use anymore.

Hmm chocolate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Japan
I am a Civil Engineering student and I own or have owned a 15" MBP, 15" RMBP, Mac Mini, 13" MBA, and a 13" RMBP. I much prefer the 15" RMBP to everything listed. I thought the 13" RMBP would be more much more portable but the very slight increase in portability doesn't even come close to make up for the smaller screen. I almost forgot to mention my iPad 2 and 3 which I hardly even use anymore.

Thanks for the advice! I have decided to go with the 15" rmbp then :)

Last question - does anybody know if the iris pro can outperform the Radeon HD 6750m from the 21" imac 2011? I'M not sure if I'd want to shell out an additional 500 bucks for the higher end model..

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
Yes, it will.
I would recommend to get the iris pro model. As a 2011MBP owner, and having all kind of problems with my GPU (AMD6750M), I will insist in getting a machine with no discrete GPU.
It has more processing power, with much less power consumption.
I am really waiting to see the next revision of the Iris Pro GPU.

Hmm chocolate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Japan
Yes, it will.
I would recommend to get the iris pro model. As a 2011MBP owner, and having all kind of problems with my GPU (AMD6750M), I will insist in getting a machine with no discrete GPU.
It has more processing power, with much less power consumption.
I am really waiting to see the next revision of the Iris Pro GPU.

I'm sorry to hear that :/ Can you get it fixed? And thanks!! I'll get the lower end model then which should be more than enough since i was quite happy with the amd6750m in my imac 2011 :) with that price difference I could even buy a ps4!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.