Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I have the Inatek 4004 and it ejects my USB drives when my 4,1 goes to sleep. I've had it corrupt a single drive so far doing this.

I have Jettison installed now to eject the drives before sleep.

Annoying.

As annoyed as you are, it's not the card that causes this. It's the OS mostly. It's fairly well documented. Mac Format recently addressed the issue and explained that it's a combination of the OS X sleep routines and the drive's (to include the drive controller) sleep routine.

Now I'm not sure that is the correct answer. I also had the same issue with a MicroNet Fantom USB 3.0 HDD connected to the Inateck KT4004. That drive, could also not figure out whether it was a USB 2.0 or a USB 3.0 Device. On Start-Up, under System Information, it would show up both ways depending on it's mood. In frustration, after about 6 months of ownership, I finally returned the HDD to MicroNet. They found nothing wrong with the drive. After much eMail arguing, they finally issued me a credit. However, I was out the 13 bucks it cost to return the drive, and the frustration and time wasted using it.

I replaced it with Hornetek Viper USB 3.0 enclosure with a fast Seagate HDD. That combination, always starts up and acts like a USB SuperSpeed Device, and it has never once ejected itself from the USB 3.0 Card.

So, I believe the issue is not with Apple, but with the electronics employed by the manufacturer of the external drive or enclosure.

Lou

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I replaced it with Hornetek Viper USB 3.0 enclosure with a fast Seagate HDD. That combination, always starts up and acts like a USB SuperSpeed Device, and it has never once ejected itself from the USB 3.0 Card.

So, I believe the issue is not with Apple, but with the electronics employed by the manufacturer of the external drive or enclosure.

Lou

Lou, that sounds like we are talking about a different issue. I'm referring only to the issue where the drive eject notification appears after waking from sleep.

That notification can happen even if the drive was ejected properly before sleeping sometimes. That is the specific issue I'm talking about.

I've never had a drive spontaneously eject itself from the USB chain without cause. In that case, I would agree there is a hardware problem (weather it's a defect, or a compatibility issue).

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^My Friend, go back and read the post you were responding to. The posters drives were ejecting themselves, and then on a mouse movement, the drive would remount and the Disk Ejected Improperly warning would appear. Same thing happened to me with the Fantom Drive, and it also happens to me on my MBA with an Orico USB 3.0 enclosure. No an issue with the MBA, because that drive is backup only and usually not hooked up.

Lou

bin90a

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I use Jettison and it does the trick (most of the time, but not always). :)

So far ... all the sleep "improper dismounts" have remounted automatically and I haven't discovered any problems with any of them.

My external USB3 drives suffer the same improper dismount warning issue, regardless of whether I was using the Orico PME-4U or Inateck KT4004 cards. Haven't tried using Jettison or Mountain yet, but touch wood, no drive issues so far anyway.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I've had the same error on many different USB 3 cards with various chipsets and various drives. It even happens on some of Apples own USB3 ports as I understand it.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Yes, on my MBA with native USB 3.0 ports, the eject issue happens with an external 2.5" SSHD in an Orico enclosure. Again, I believe the problem is with the electronics in the enclosure. I Have a Transcend SSD installed in the MBA, and it comes with a kit that let's you mount the OEM Apple SSD in an external enclosure. The external Transcend unit never ejects itself, nor do USB 3.0 sticks.

Lou

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
anyone using a reliable extension usb cable. i have tried the amazon branded ones but all my drives disconnect with big transfers.

BrighterShades

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2014
Anyone tried new Sonnet USB3-4PM-E card?

See http://www.sonnettech.com/product/allegrousb3pcie4port.html

B&H sells it for $56.50 with free shipping.

Sonnet's web site labels it as "New" and using the "Fresco Logic" chipset.

Based on their description, it sounds like a simple plug-in solution: "Sonnet specially engineered the Allegro USB 3.0 4-Port card to provide extra power through its ports without the need for you to connect an auxiliary power cable. Delivering up to 10W of power per port, this Sonnet solution supports USB 3.0 bus-powered hard drives, SSDs, DVDs & Blu-ray™ devices without the need to connect an additional AC power adapter. The Allegro USB 3.0 card also supports the USB 3.0 charging specification that enables you to simultaneously charge and sync your iPad®, iPhone®, or other device that supports USB 3.0 charging!"

Claims are different than reality, so has anyone tried this card and had good results?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^From Sonnet's web site:

The Mac OS X driver for this card does not support non-storage USB devices. iPod and iPhones are not supported. USB 3.0 hubs are not suported. Bus-powered 2.5" drives or SSDs are not supported.

With the Inateck Card Bus powered devices and SSDs are supported.

Lou

ShawnF

macrumors regular
May 10, 2014
See http://www.sonnettech.com/product/allegrousb3pcie4port.html

B&H sells it for $56.50 with free shipping.

Sonnet's web site labels it as "New" and using the "Fresco Logic" chipset.

Based on their description, it sounds like a simple plug-in solution: "Sonnet specially engineered the Allegro USB 3.0 4-Port card to provide extra power through its ports without the need for you to connect an auxiliary power cable. Delivering up to 10W of power per port, this Sonnet solution supports USB 3.0 bus-powered hard drives, SSDs, DVDs & Blu-ray™ devices without the need to connect an additional AC power adapter. The Allegro USB 3.0 card also supports the USB 3.0 charging specification that enables you to simultaneously charge and sync your iPad®, iPhone®, or other device that supports USB 3.0 charging!"

Claims are different than reality, so has anyone tried this card and had good results?

Yup I have the Sonnet. Been using it for a month now. Rock solid. Plugged in webcam, thumbdrives, external hard drives and even a USB TV tuner. Everything worked. It will even charge your mobile device - some thing that certain USB 3.0 cards are not able to do.

BrighterShades

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2014
^^^^From Sonnet's web site:

With the Inateck Card Bus powered devices and SSDs are supported.

Lou

Hmmm, same card? Or, the older card? Their web site states, "Delivering up to 10W of power per port, this Sonnet solution supports USB 3.0 bus-powered hard drives, SSDs…."

Alas, I tried the Inateck card and I must have received a defective one because not only did it fail to recognize any USB 3.0 external drives with their own external power supplies, it also disabled my ethernet and wifi. I tried it first based on the many positive reviews, but the one I received just didn't work.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Alas, I tried the Inateck card and I must have received a defective one because not only did it fail to recognize any USB 3.0 external drives with their own external power supplies, it also disabled my ethernet and wifi. I tried it first based on the many positive reviews, but the one I received just didn't work.

No doubt you received a bad card.

ShawnF

macrumors regular
May 10, 2014
Hmmm, same card? Or, the older card? Their web site states, "Delivering up to 10W of power per port, this Sonnet solution supports USB 3.0 bus-powered hard drives, SSDs…."

Just to add: Some comments on the forum have also alluded to card design and build playing an important role in how smoothly Bluetooth operates. Some members have posted about the Highpoint 1144C card and how it is better shielded resulting in less Bluetooth inteference.

Likewise, for the Sonnet I am using a Macally BT keyboard and Logitech BT mouse and both operate flawlessly. This even when I have a bus-powered 2.5inch drive and TV tuner running at the same time.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Just to add: Some comments on the forum have also alluded to card design and build playing an important role in how smoothly Bluetooth operates. Some members have posted about the Highpoint 1144C card and how it is better shielded resulting in less Bluetooth inteference.

Likewise, for the Sonnet I am using a Macally BT keyboard and Logitech BT mouse and both operate flawlessly. This even when I have a bus-powered 2.5inch drive and TV tuner running at the same time.

This sounds like a nice card. I may get one and test it out. Do you know if it supports UASP?

ShawnF

macrumors regular
May 10, 2014
This sounds like a nice card. I may get one and test it out. Do you know if it supports UASP?

I can't check - because I am using an unflashed GTX660 Ti, OSX Mavericks says it is unable to read what is in my PCI-E slots. If the Sonnet has the same Fresco Logic chipset as the Inateck card then it should have UASP.

For sleep - it works well with my Windows 7 in Bootcamp. In OSX, I have to make sure my USB devices are unplugged/ejected before putting my Mac Pro to sleep.

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I bought this last year:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFNR0OA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It doesn't have very good ratings due to not supporting USB hubs but hard drives work fine for me.

Yeah, I've got that one too, you should upgrade from the 1144CM to the 1144C. It's cheaper, supports pretty much all types of USB devices, does UASP, and also has 4 independent controllers (just like the 1144CM), requires no drivers, and let's the Mac sleep mode work properly. It's a nice upgrade.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Yeah, I've got that one too, you should upgrade from the 1144CM to the 1144C. It's cheaper, supports pretty much all types of USB devices, does UASP, and also has 4 independent controllers (just like the 1144CM), requires no drivers, and let's the Mac sleep mode work properly. It's a nice upgrade.

Hmm... are you saying that is the reason why my Mac won't go into sleep mode? I really don't need any of those other features, I just got it for 3.0 speeds when using external drives. Does UASP make it faster when using run of the mill 3.0 external drives than the CM module?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hmm... are you saying that is the reason why my Mac won't go into sleep mode? I really don't need any of those other features, I just got it for 3.0 speeds when using external drives. Does UASP make it faster when using run of the mill 3.0 external drives than the CM module?

Yes, that's why it won't go into sleep mode. Test it... Remove the driver, remove the card, and watch it start sleeping normally again.

Yes, UASP (although not advertised), works well with rotational drives. Initiate a large file transfer to the USB, then try to change some folder names on the same drive while the transfer is taking place. A few seconds later you'll see...

Do that with UASP working and it will all happen instantly just like an SATA drive and without the file corruption/transfer failure the first test likely produced.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Yes, that's why it won't go into sleep mode. Test it... Remove the driver, remove the card, and watch it start sleeping normally again.

Yes, UASP (although not advertised), works well with rotational drives. Initiate a large file transfer to the USB, then try to change some folder names on the same drive while the transfer is taking place. A few seconds later you'll see...

Do that with UASP working and it will all happen instantly just like an SATA drive and without the file corruption/transfer failure the first test likely produced.

Thanks for the info. :cool:

ThoreEliasson

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
I am thinking about getting a 4004 to hook up an Ccy Box UASP case with an SSD to my 3.1 cMP.
According to several tests it should provide something in the range of 400+/- MB/s RW.

I have been thinking about either using it as a dedicated scratch disk for Photoshop and the LR database or indeed as the primary/boot drive.

The transfer rate would certainly increase compared to the internal SATA connection. But I wonder how the access time behaves.

Do you have any experience with this? Do you think this would be a reasonable idea?

Thank you!

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I am thinking about getting a 4004 to hook up an Ccy Box UASP case with an SSD to my 3.1 cMP.
According to several tests it should provide something in the range of 400+/- MB/s RW.

I have been thinking about either using it as a dedicated scratch disk for Photoshop and the LR database or indeed as the primary/boot drive.

The transfer rate would certainly increase compared to the internal SATA connection. But I wonder how the access time behaves.

Do you have any experience with this? Do you think this would be a reasonable idea?

Thank you!

Just know that you can't boot from USB 3.0 on a cMP no matter what at this point. That would require a firmware update to the Mac that doesn't exist.

It sounds like you might be better served with an eSATA combo card which can deliver SATA III & USB3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.