Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
  • Macintosh: 8 - 10.10 (It may have been earlier than 8; what did the Performa have? ...and I did briefly get to play around with a Lisa, I think, at a friend's house.)
  • iPhone/iOS: iPhone OS 1.0, iOS 4-8
  • Windows: 98SE - 8.1 (minus server variants)
  • Android: Like v2 and then up 'til Kit Kat.
  • Windows Phone: First version and the latest version.

...plus an old Casio calculator, a Palm Zire (Palm OS 4.1) that was my first PDA, and a protractor that ran entirely on MelroseIsAwesome 10.9.∞. I detested Android when I first used, and while it has improved marginally I still don't like it but I can at least now say I understand why some people may like it. They're crazy stupid people, but they can like it :p :D Windows Phone, on the other hand, I've been impressed with. It's the coolest product - software or hardware - that Microsoft has done in a very long time I think.

Well just that that technically wasn't Mac OS. In fact it was a bit more advanced than Mac System 1.
We're a technology and political discussions forum. We don't care that much about specifics. :D

Last edited:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
System 7
Mac OS 8
Mac OS 9
Mac OS X 10.0 - 10.10

iPhone OS 1.0 - iOS 8.1

Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8
Windows 10

Ubuntu 11.10

Android Gingerbread

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Similar to the opening poster

From memory (I'll probably edit this again in the future) …

Relatively more usage
Relatively less usage – some of these I barely touched, or rarely touch

Some of those ® and or TM™.

Last edited:

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
I’m old enough to remember a school project where we did some Fortran programming using punched cards, but I don’t recall the operating system or most of the ones I’ve used since then.

CP/M
Apple II DOS.
MS-DOS - several different versions.
Mac OS in about 1988 - can’t remember the version.
HP 85 Instrument Controller - running an HP ROM BASIC environment.
Windows 2.x and 3.x - various versions
Windows NT 3.51 and later 32 bit and 64 bit windows desktops.
Windows Server 2000 and later 32 bit and 64 bit windows servers
Vax-VMS
FreeBSD and PicoBSD.
FreeDOS.
QNX - just a demo system, not in a production environment.
HP-UX 8.x, 9.x, 10.20, 11.11 and some other versions.
Cisco IOS 12.x and others.
Linux - various since Slackware with kernel 1.2.13
Linux - Debian from kernel 2.0.x up to the latest testing release with kernel 3.16
Linux servers running Red Hat and SUSE.
VMware ESXi 4.x and 5.x.
Apple OS X - several versions - now running OS X 10.9.5.

Plus some mobile devices including:

Symbian S60 on various Nokia phones.
WebOS 3.x on HP Touchpad.
Apple iOS - just on borrowed devices, none of my own.
Android 4.3

Last edited:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Classic Mac OS, then OSX until 10.5, then I moved to Gentoo. Gentoo eventually morphed into Arch a couple years ago.

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
- MS-DOS
- Windows 3.11, Me (lol), XP, Vista, 7, 8
- Mac OS X Mavericks, Yosemite
- Ubuntu

blackf77t

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2015
BeOS deserves more credit

Tablet / Phone
Android and IOS - Both are good, but if you have a Mac, then getting IOS is a no brainer.
Blackberry - I hated it.
Winner: IOS

Desktop
BeOS R5 - It is the best operating system ever made - fast and stable. You literally couldn't crash the system, the 40th window was just as fast as the first. If one window crashed, it didn't affect anything else. It was also amazingly fast. Unfortunately, no one made applications for it and they basically went out of business. They have Haiku, but its beta and has no software. Apple should have turned BeOS into Mac OS X, instead of NEXT.
Mac OS X - beautiful and great apps, but some of the default key bindings annoy me and slow.
Linux (Redhat, Fedora, Suse, and Mint) - Graphically, Mint is the only descent one.
Mac System X - It sucked.
DOS - It sucks next to unix shells.
Windows 3.11 to 7 - 95 and & were good, the rest sucked.
OpenBSD - very fast CLI setup, secure, and
IRIX - I bought an old system to see what it was like. I can imagine it its prime it was pretty awesome.
Winner: BeOS by a mile, I can't believe it isn't getting more respect. If it didn't exist, it would be a tie between Mac OS X and Linux.

Server
Linux - great for servers, but doesn’t have the standard place for packages and configurations.
OpenBSD - easy install, secure, intuitive design, but slow. If it was faster, it would be my favorite.
Windows Server - It was always ok, but I never looked forward to working with it. Exchange 5.5 was a horrible piece of crap.
Novell 3.11 to 4.11 - Awesome file server and directory, terrible at everything else. It had amazing stability.
Solaris - I can't stress how much it sucks. Solaris is slow, unintuitive, and unattractive. Anything you have to install goes into /opt...WHY?
BSDI - Support was awesome and the system was really solid. I think they are out of business.
FreeBSD - I just felt more at home with OpenBSD, so I didn’t spend much time on it.
VAX/Mainframe - I could never get used to not having some local processing power.
Winner in 2015: Linux, because OpenBSD is slow.
Winner in 1990s: Novell 4.x

Network
Cisco IOS/ASA - It flat out rocks on routers, firewalls, and switches. Cisco sucks on load balancers and Cisco Works.
F5 BigIP - The cli and GUI have the same commands, but it used to be buggy.
Juniper - I haven’t spent much time on it, but it looks ok.
Fortinet - horrible crap
Appliances - generally suck and GUI only.
Winner: Cisco
Worst: Anything that ONLY has a GUI, real Network Engineers use the command line.

After looking into this, I realize I care about four things.
1.) Stability
2.) Speed
3.) good CLI
4.) If it has a GUI, it has to look good.

Mac OS X scores well across the board.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
MS Dos, from 3.0 to 6.2
Window 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, ME(briefly), XP, Vista, 7, 8(very little)
Mac OS 9(specifically 9.2.2) pretty extensively
Mac OS 6-8.6 in varying amounts. 8.6 and 7.5.5 are probably my most used ones in that sequence.

I recently had OS X Server 1.2v3 on a Powermacintosh 8600 for probably an hour, but I intend to get it installed on another system soon(I've been trying-unsucessfully-to install it on a Powermac G4 Gigabit Ethernet, which it supports although I've had issues getting the installer to work). I'm planning to take a Beige G3 and load it up with Rhapsody, Server 1.2(which is an evolution of Rhapsody), and all the DPs of OS X.

My PowerMacintosh 9600 had BeOS installed when I received it, but I(stupidly) formatted the drive. I did boot it a few times. I may put it back on either that computer, or another of similar vintage.

I have a dual Pentium 3 workstation-class computer with a big "Certified for NeXTstep" tag on the front of it, and I'm really tempted to install it on that system. It currently has an old version of Red Hat(from back before it was RHEL).

OS X-I have used every version from public beta to 10.10, with the exception of 10.8(never used). My main daily drivers are 10.5.8(on PPC Macs) and 10.9.5 on my Macbook Pro. I use 10.4.11 a fair bit also. I have a Powermac G4 with every version of OS X from Public Beta to 10.5.8 install, although it primarily runs 10.5.8. The first version of OS X I used extensively was 10.7(shipped on my Macbook Pro), and I still have a Black Macbook that I use sporadically(but heavily when I do) that is running it. The only versions of OS X I do not currently have installed on a computer are 10.6 and 10.8.

I use Red Hat Enterprise Linux on some of the computers at work-the NMR software(VNMRJ) runs on it.

I've briefly used Solaris Unix on an instrument computer a few years back also.

I have an iBook G4 with a copy of Lubuntu installed on it in addition to OS X(10.5). The previous owner installed it, and I've booted it once or twice just to play with it. The lack of WiFi drivers(which I'd guess are probably out there-I just didn't go looking for them) pretty much killed most of my interest in it at least for a laptop. The computer remains an OS X only machine for me for the time being.

On the iOS side, I used iOS 3, iOS 4, iOS5, and iOS 6 all pretty extensively. iOS 3 was on my first iPhone(3gs) when I bought it, and I was pretty faithful about upgrading it and my subsequent 4gs a few weeks after every new release(I always gave the new OSs a few weeks to get the bugs worked out before upgrading). I stubbornly refused to upgrade to iOS7 and never used it, although I had to upgrade to iOS 8 with my new iPhone 6.

Last edited:

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
As for me:

Microsoft-derived products:

PC-DOS 2.0
MS-DOS 3.3
MS-DOS 4.0
MS-DOS 5.0 with Windows 3.1 and 3.11 for Workgroups
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows XP Home (SP2)
Windows Vista Home (SP1)
Windows 7 Home (SP1)
Windows 7 Professional (SP1)

Apple products:

iOS 4.3 (iPod touch and iPad 2)
iOS 5.x versions (iPod touch and iPad 2)
iOS 6.x versions (iPod touch and iPad 2)
iOS 7.x versions (iPad 2 and iPad Air)
iOS 8.x versions (iPad Air and iPhone 6)

pixeltarian

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2009
a few

Ones I haven't tried that I'd like to: Elementary OS, Evolve OS, and Ozon OS.

Ones I have tried:
DOS/MSDOS/Dr. DOS
Windows 1.3 through 8.1
OSX 10.5 through Yosemite
BEos

Linux distros I've tried: Redhat, mandrake, suse, fedora, ubuntu, 64 studio, mint, debian, arch, BSD, GNU, Knoppix, Symphony OS, Ubuntu Studio, Chromium OS, Gentoo, etc.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I have used:

Windows (1, 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, NT, 10TP in a VM) (XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 on a real computer)

OS X (10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10)

Mac OS 9

Linux Ubuntu 8, 13, 14 (I think and on VM), also tried Xubuntu (VM as well)

iOS 5, 6, 7

Android 4.3, 4.4, 5.0

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I used Windows operating systems up until 2001, when switched to debian GNU/Linux. A week later I reinstalled Linux to use the entire drive, wiping Windows 98 SE. I had used nothing but Linux from 2001 until buying my first Mac, a Mac mini, in June of last year. I also played with FreeBSD during my Linux years.

So:
* Windows (Win 3.1, Win 95 and Win 98 SE)
* Linux (too many distros to list here)
* BSD (Free BSD)
* OS X (Mavericks and Yosemite)

The only operating systems in my life now are iOS and OS X.

Renzatic

Suspended
Linux (Redhat, Fedora, Suse, and Mint) - Graphically, Mint is the only descent one.

It must've been awhile since you last used Linux, cuz I'd consider Gnome one of the best looking and functioning desktops I've ever seen, up to and including OSX.

It's minimal, clean, easy to use, and snazzeh as all hell naw. Here's a really dry video with some soft jazz showing off some of the new features coming with Fedora 22.

Last edited:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
It must've been awhile since you last used Linux, cuz I'd consider Gnome one of the best looking and functioning desktops I've ever seen, up to and including OSX.

It's minimal, clean, easy to use, and snazzeh as all hell naw. Here's a really dry video with some soft jazz showing it off some of the new features coming with Fedora 22.

YouTube: video

You're supposed to pass after you toke not keep it all for yourself.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was recently told by a neutral ;) Apple Store salesperson that due to Linux, sprocket layers that OSX is fundamentally more secure than Windows. Comments? Anyone know if Windows 10 will still be based on DOS?

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I was recently told by a neutral ;) Apple Store salesperson that due to Linux, sprocket layers that OSX is fundamentally more secure than Windows. Comments? Anyone know if Windows 10 will still be based on DOS?
All Windows systems are based on MS-DOS, while all Mac and Linux systems are based on Unix. I'm not sure whether what he said is correct or not.

Renzatic

Suspended

...sprocket layers? The hell's that?

These days, randomly propagating viruses and worms are rare to practically nonexistent, and anything you do come across requires direct permission to effect any changes (barring the occasional permission elevations exploit), so I'd say the weakest point in security for both OSes are the persons using it.

And Windows hasn't been based on DOS since the 9x days. From XP on, it's been all NT.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
And Windows hasn't been based on DOS since the 9x days. From XP on, it's been all NT.

Not to nit pick, but let's not forget the horrible abomination known as Windows ME that came between 2000 and XP.

2000 was NT based, as was XP. ME was Dos based, like the previous 9x releases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.