Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stellaclose

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
Any problems with the new update. ?

Yes. For some strange reason my TV Shows now tag as Home Videos and the meta data doesn't add to the iTunes file. I now have to manually drag the converted file from iTunes back to iFlicks to properly fix it.

Was working perfectly fine before this update.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Any problems with the new update. ?

Yes. For some strange reason my TV Shows now tag as Home Videos and the meta data doesn't add to the iTunes file. I now have to manually drag the converted file from iTunes back to iFlicks to properly fix it.

Was working perfectly fine before this update.

I am also coming across this issue, my earlier post may have been incorrect. Just rolled back to 2.02 until a fix is released.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I think I may have my workflow just right now, and I don't have to do anything :). Media just appears on my Apple TV.

Even get a push notification on my iphone when complete. Happy to share scripts etc if people want.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I prefer to use HandBrake as the conversion engine, so I use VideoDrive from www.aroona.net as an iFlicks alternative. It’s cheaper, and it has the same feature set. But all the advanced HandBrake parameters can be passed along to the video conversion process.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Ok, here goes. A guide for uninitiated to automate your iFlicks workflow.

Media Files:
Now, I am subscribed to some RSS feeds which mean TV shows arrive on my iMac once they are released automagically. However, I can't really advise on too much more of that here.

I have then set a programme up called Hazel which is well worth the initial out lay. I don't think I have ever been so impressed with such a useful piece of software.

I have the following rules set to activate when a file enters the pending folder:

Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 19.15.47.png
It basically goes into the folder (and subsequent folders within that folder) to unpack any files and then proceeds to move any mkv's or avi's into my conversion folder. I have also set a rule up to ignore any mkv's / avi's less that 50MB. Finally all 'useless' files are deleted such as .sfv etc.

So we have the required media file in the conversion folder.

iFlicks 2:
So now open up iFlicks 2. We need to set up a new watch folder.

Open preferences and navigate to watch folders and then navigate to your conversion folder noted above. Once added make sure the little tick box is selected so it starts automatically.

Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 19.23.04.png

So now we have to set up a rule so iFlicks knows where to save and how to name your files. Stay with me as this may get quite hard to follow. Open preferences in iFlicks again and click rules.

Click 'After Metadata Update'. I have two rules set up, one for tv shows and one for movies. So first movies:

Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 19.26.30.png

This can obviously be set to your desired storage location and naming convention. I can help you out with the naming tags if need be.

tv shows are slightly more complicated as I organise into specific folders:

Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 19.28.10.png

This rule look for a folder with the name of the tv show and stores it there, or creates one if not.

So now we have some media files which are converting in iFlicks 2. It would be nice to do something with these. So I have 3 'after processing' iFlicks rules.

1. Send Pushover Notification on Completed Movie
  2. Send Pushover Notification on Completed TV show
  3. Remove sucessfully completed Videos from Queue

Push Notifications: (which are unceremoniously copied from here.

You will need to download an app called Pushover. This is the app the receives the call from iFlicks 2 and sends the notification to your device. Once the app has been download you need to register on the Pushover website (free) and set up your devices as registered. Quite simple to do.

You will then need to create an 'iFlicks application'. You can put any details into the form (I only filled out name (iFlicks 2), Type (plugin). The most important bit is to copy the API token/key as we will need this in a bit. You will also need a copy of your User Key.

Now we need to create a new script in iFlicks 2 under the 'after processing' tab. Set the following:

If the following conditions apply:

All of the following are true

Video Kind is Movie

Do the following:

Run Apple Script and include the following script

Code:
on action(this_video)
	if status of this_video is Completed then

# Pushover Settings
		set app_token to "insert app token between speech marks"
		set user_token to "insert user token between speech marks"

# Get Show Information
		set movieName to name of this_video

# Build Message
		set message to movieName

# Send Notification
		do shell script "curl -s -F token=" & app_token & " -F user=" & user_token & " -F title=\"iFlicks Completed\" -F message=\"" & message & "\" https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json"

end if
end action

Along a similar note for tv shows:

All of the following are true

Video Kind is TV Show

Do the following:

Code:
on action(this_video)

# Pushover Settings
		set app_token to "insert app token between speech marks"
		set user_token to "insert user token between speech marks"

# Get Show Information
		set showName to show of this_video
		set seasonNumber to text -2 thru -1 of ("00" & season number of this_video as string)
		set trackNumber to text -2 thru -1 of ("00" & track number of this_video as string)

# Build Message
		set message to showName & " S" & seasonNumber & "E" & trackNumber

# Send Notification
		do shell script "curl -s -F token=" & app_token & " -F user=" & user_token & " -F title=\"iFlicks Completed\" -F message=\"" & message & "\" https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json"

end if
end action

My final 'after processing' rule removes completed videos from the queue:

Any of the following are true

Video Kind is TV Show
Video Kind is Movie

Do the following:

Code:
on action(this_video)
		remove this_video
	end if
end action

So now each time a conversion finishes you get a push notification and then the file is removed from the completed queue.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Ok, here goes. A guide for uninitiated to automate your iFlicks workflow.

Media Files:
Now, I am subscribed to some RSS feeds which mean TV shows arrive on my iMac once they are released automagically. However, I can't really advise on too much more of that here.

I have then set a programme up called Hazel which is well worth the initial out lay. I don't think I have ever been so impressed with such a useful piece of software.

I have the following rules set to activate when a file enters the pending folder:

View attachment 477831
It basically goes into the folder (and subsequent folders within that folder) to unpack any files and then proceeds to move any mkv's or avi's into my conversion folder. I have also set a rule up to ignore any mkv's / avi's less that 50MB. Finally all 'useless' files are deleted such as .sfv etc.

So we have the required media file in the conversion folder.

Before I get too far into this, can you post the conditions for each rule in Hazel?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Before I get too far into this, can you post the conditions for each rule in Hazel?

Ok, lets see if this works. I have uploaded my monitoring rules, these monitor the pending folder for mkv's and other files such as avi's and 'useless' files such as .nfo.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    8 KB · Views: 211

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
The app is working great in Yosemite

And I like the new iTunes uodate , much smoother & the recently movies added is a great addition

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
one thing that i don't like about the new itunes is when you right click/get info, it doesn't stay on file
the tab goes back to details every time

Barena

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
Since installing iOS 8, any artwork added in iFlicks isn't coming up when I transfer the file to my iPhone. The artwork is there in iTunes but won't show on my phone. Artwork for movies and tv shows downloaded from iTunes are displayed correctly.

Has this happened to anyone else?

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Since installing iOS 8, any artwork added in iFlicks isn't coming up when I transfer the file to my iPhone. The artwork is there in iTunes but won't show on my phone. Artwork for movies and tv shows downloaded from iTunes are displayed correctly.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes, exact same for me. Have been messing about with the files to try to resolve this, without success so far.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I have iFlicks from the MAS I bought long ago. What's the difference between this and iFlicks 2?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I have iFlicks from the MAS I bought long ago. What's the difference between this and iFlicks 2?

Square cover art is the main difference you can see, but there seem to be many under the hood changes.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Ok, lets see if this works. I have uploaded my monitoring rules, these monitor the pending folder for mkv's and other files such as avi's and 'useless' files such as .nfo.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Does anyone know of a way to automatically delete certain watched content from iTunes after a certain amount of time?

For example, if an episode of tv show x has been watched, then delete it from iTunes a week later?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
i wish iflicks had an option to convert 5.1 audio to 2 channel and remove the 5.1 like mkvtools

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
i wish iflicks had an option to convert 5.1 audio to 2 channel and remove the 5.1 like mkvtools

You can do this with VideoDrive as it works together with HandBrake. You can use --audio 1,2 to select only the first two audio tracks. Just add this parameter in the parameter field in the conversion tab in preferences. Works fine.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
You can do this with VideoDrive as it works together with HandBrake. You can use --audio 1,2 to select only the first two audio tracks. Just add this parameter in the parameter field in the conversion tab in preferences. Works fine.

I don't use handbrake , I get mkv movies from places
I use iflicks & mkvtools to change audio, sometimes subler

I'm not converting any movies

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.