Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Best iPhone Design?

• iPhone 2g/3g/3gs

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • iPhone 4/4s

Votes: 92 22.8%
  • iPhone 5/5s

Votes: 114 28.2%
  • iPhone 5c

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • iPhone 6/6 Plus

Votes: 174 43.1%

• Total voters

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
So like all new iphone releases I have been showing off my iPhone to my friends, most of them android users.

They always comment on how design wise the iPhone looks so good but this time they were not impressed design wise.

They are saying the iPhone 4/4s and 5/5s design was better looking.

And I can see where they are coming from. By the way feature wise, screen quality etc I'm pretty happy with (im a plus user).

The front looks very nice, very shiny well polished, very sleek.

However the back looks poor. The thick lines running across are very striking, and not in a good way, people are commenting negatively on these lines.

And so they should because no other apple product has thick lines running across, and none of the competitor devices do except for htc m8 which does it in a very sleek manner, not thick like iPhone.

The plasticky rubbery texture of the lines severely dents the built quality, looks unfinished and toyish.

You wouldnt expect a device like the macbook air or mac pro to have thick rubbery lines running across it.

Any way I personally think the iPhone 4/4s generation was the strongest design, so sleek, glass, felt and looked so premium. Obviously if they made it glass with the current thinness it would look immense.

Anyone else feel the current iPhone design is one the worst?

Koobs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
Surprise, surprise. Android users crapping on an iPhone. Never heard of that before.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
So like all new iphone releases I have been showing off my iPhone to my friends, most of them android users.

They always comment on how design wise the iPhone looks so good but this time they were not impressed design wise.

They are saying the iPhone 4/4s and 5/5s design was better looking.

And I can see where they are coming from. By the way feature wise, screen quality etc I'm pretty happy with (im a plus user).

The front looks very nice, very shiny well polished, very sleek.

However the back looks poor. The thick lines running across are very striking, and not in a good way, people are commenting negatively on these lines.

And so they should because no other apple product has thick lines running across, and none of the competitor devices do except for htc m8 which does it in a very sleek manner, not thick like iPhone.

The plasticky rubbery texture of the lines severely dents the built quality, looks unfinished and toyish.

You wouldnt expect a device like the macbook air or mac pro to have thick rubbery lines running across it.

Any way I personally think the iPhone 4/4s generation was the strongest design, so sleek, glass, felt and looked so premium. Obviously if they made it glass with the current thinness it would look immense.

Anyone else feel the current iPhone design is one the worst?

What are the ages of these friends?

myztikal47

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
The 6/6+ is the best looking out of all of them. With that being said, I wouldn't have minded if they had square edges like the iPhone 5, not because it would look nicer, but it would look almost just as nice, and I'm sure it would have prevented the whole #bendgate and #wobblegate issues that have sprung about.

Crichton333

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2014
I think this poll went all wrong, the thread title is "iPhone 6 is the worst" and then the poll title says which one is "the best".

I didnt even read the poll title and thought we are selecting the "worst design", probably thats why most people selected the 6.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
These new iPhones are the best looking smartphones anyone has ever made. I couldn't be happier with both models. They are delight to hold, use and exhibit in public.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Is is the best looking iPhone ever? No, I don't think so, but it ain't ugly either. OP, I wouldn't worry what your friends say about your phone.

BensonTT

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Op is right.. I have been an iPhone user since the 2g model and the iPhone 6/6+ is meh.. Nothing great about.. I just love the iOS that's why I haven't switch to Samsung etc..

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I like the 4 and the black slate 5. At this point I'm not a big fan of the 6 and 6 Plus design. Maybe it'll grow on me.

iPhilPHX

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I do prefer the look and feel of the 5/5s. It just looks polished and like it has "substance". If my own 5 handn't started to suffer from terrible battery life I'd probably have kept it another year or so. Now, having said that and having been in possession of my 6 (64GB/Silver) for just under a week now I can honestly say I DO like it very much. The size increase is a pleasant surprise and it really doesn't look bad in any way, I do just think the 5 has a certain something that sets it apart. Overall I'm happy with the purchase though.

Last edited:

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
The black 5 was probably the most elegant design to me. The 5S comes in a close second , only because they switched to Space Grey. Actually the 4 and 4S were pretty nice too.

The 6/6 Plus are nice, but not as nice as the 4/5.

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
I don't think any phone will ever look as good as the naked slate/black iphone 5 did. To me, that was the pincicle of design for any consumer product, ever. That's how strongly I feel about it.

Even the space grey 5s was ugly by comparison. The design balance just looked off in my view.

Unfortunately I can't see Apple ever returning to a similar design as the all black anodized aluminium proved to be impractical with the scuffing issues (something that I personally didn't mind).

My main complaint with the 6 is that it doesn't have the same light, airly feeling as the 5 did, which of course is understandable given its greater size. It's obviously still not a heavy phone by any means though. Other than that, I think it's a good design.

golftime

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2013
Northeast
I really want to love the iPhone 6/6 plus, primarily for the larger screen, but I just can't. The look simply doesn't appeal to me, and the camera protrusion from the back is to me, an unforgivable design flaw. I don't see how you design a phone with all smooth, proportionate lines and edges, with that ugly nib sticking out the back. A slightly thicker phone to keep the camera lens flush would have allowed for a larger battery and overall more esthetically pleasing design.

My dilemma is that the battery in my 5 is starting to go, so I will probably have to replace the batter on that, or do an upgrade. I might try waiting for the 6S but given the history of iPhones, I doubt we will see an entirely new design.

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
4 > 6>>>>>>>>field>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>5

the 4 was a transformative product that aligned perfectly with the ethos of apple
6 seems to be a design slightly ahead of its time. Somewhat muted by the standard presence of home buttom and large chin/forehead, but the utility of thinness and curved sides along with the unabashed protruding camera give it a lot of character.
5 is extremely muted and uninspiring. it's a box and the breaks in color are too harsh.

Last edited:

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I was going to say, why would you care about how good your phone looks, and showing it off, but then I remembered I was on an Apple forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.