Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
OMG that is a joke, Unless I am reading it wrong. You'd have to say goodbye to CrashPlan

That is why I make fun of all these "Cloud" services because they are late to party for most users in the day of ISP data caps.

Time to start thinking of Smart NAS devices because the have VPN servers in them that you can connect your cell phone to. If you want "offsite" then consider buying small NAS and putting it in a relative's place and VPN into it.

PancakeEater101

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
That is why I make fun of all these "Cloud" services because they are late to party for most users in the day of ISP data caps.

Time to start thinking of Smart NAS devices because the have VPN servers in them that you can connect your cell phone to. If you want "offsite" then consider buying small NAS and putting it in a relative's place and VPN into it.

Most? I would say the majority of consumers who actually have fast enough connections to use them have unlimited data. You are also forgetting that most cloud backup providers make their money from enterprise markets

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
No cap, but if I use over 5 gig between 7-12 am or 12 - 5 pm or 5pm to 11pm Im throttled for 4 hours to 20% of my overall line speed.

My line speed is 100mb/s fibre, but it runs about 90 mb/s.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Well, I have Frontier DSL and they promise like 3 or 4Mbs but I don't usually exceed 1.5 or 2 on a good day. Plus it's up and down - literally, out for hours at a time some days. I don't know about a cap, but if I start downloading a torrent file (which I have set to cap itself and not run unlimited) Frontier will throttle my internet COMPLETELY OFF after like half an hour or so. Niiiiice.

And I live just a few blocks from the hub in town. Frontier is horrible for internet service.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I live in a country where currently the best cap limit you can get is about 120GB/month for about $106 . They say its unlimited but the truth is once you bypass that limit your speed drops to 2mbs which is painfully slow in the world where you need 1.5GB to upgrade just 1 iOS device.

What is your cap limit, for how much, and at what speed? Where do you live?

Where do YOU live?

California, no cap. Comcast will eventually begin charging if you go over a limit. They are already doing this in some markets in the U.S.

Bluemeanie1976

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
No cap over here. I've a 40gb connection for about $10 but it goes up to 80 up and down at times. Normally about 40 up and down normally.

Speedtest on iPad over wifi.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
California, no cap. Comcast will eventually begin charging if you go over a limit. They are already doing this in some markets in the U.S.

What do you mean "no cap" but they will charge you if you go over the "limit" ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.