Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Best iPhone Design?

• iPhone 2g/3g/3gs

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • iPhone 4/4s

Votes: 92 22.8%
  • iPhone 5/5s

Votes: 114 28.2%
  • iPhone 5c

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • iPhone 6/6 Plus

Votes: 174 43.1%

• Total voters

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I really enjoy my 6 Plus and think it's the best iPhone ever made, but the iPhone 4 was the best looking model IMHO.

:apple:

angevil

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
For me, the 4/4S is the most beautiful design. Still, this is the optimal phone size for a phone that I always keep in my pocket and easily manipulate with one hand.

Big screens are great and impressive, but I don`t want them on the phone. I hope Apple will release new ″iPhone mini″;) at some point, with size and design similar to the 4/4S.

stasha

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
Montréal
A friend at my school was an android user she said she didnt like my 5s gold but few month after she had one just like mine,typical android user will not show their real feeling,same with the 6 series. You think the 30 millions iphone 6 and plus were sold only to iphone user? No,those hypocrites buy iphone also

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
My favorite is the 3GS. Everything about it was right. I like the brick feel of the 4 but the hard edges were uncomfortable. The 5 was a disaster. Too tall and skinny and awkward and my typing took a big hit. I don't like the thinness of the 6 but in the tech21 case it is gorgeous. Probably the best looking but the 3GS beats it for looks *and* usability.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
The 4 series exudes quality and presence. It's timeless masterpiece far beyond anything other mobile device makers have ever offered. Alas, it also had the signature Ive/Jobs touch: a sacrifice of function at the alter of design.

The 5 series to me always seemed like a cheap aluminum version of the steel and glass of the 4 series. It was the first iPhone to feature bend reports, albiet not as ubiquitous as those for the 6+.

The 6 is very nice, even pretty. A bit elegant from certain angles. Yet somehow it lacks the je ne sais quoi that made the 4 series such a timeless work of art. It's almost, but not quite, boring. The protruding camera is almost, but not quite, ugly. The antenna bands almost, but not quite, blend into the aluminum chassis. It feels almost too light in the hand, and yes it is as flimsy as it seems. A missed opportunity since properly engineered steel reinforcement could have put it in that rarified domain of objects that are thin and slight yet rugged and strong.

The iPhone 6 is Ive's solo project that begs for Steve Jobs's aesthetic guidance. I think that's what bugs me about it most: it reminds me that Jobs is gone for good.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
4/4s were the best followed by 5s.

And without a doubt 5c the worst.(not just the worst of iPhones but one of the worst designs of any modern smart phone).

6/6 plus are the next worse: they look good from front,but the curved edges,the whole back design with those ridiculous bands and stupid protruding lens that not only looks awkward but causes the phone to wobble..

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
For me, the 4/4S is the most beautiful design. Still, this is the optimal phone size for a phone that I always keep in my pocket and easily manipulate with one hand.

Big screens are great and impressive, but I don`t want them on the phone. I hope Apple will release new ″iPhone mini″;) at some point, with size and design similar to the 4/4S.

I completely agree with your comment.

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
This iPhone 6 One Of The Worst Looking iPhones?

I personally think it's the nicest looking phone on the market atm, I wasn't a fan of the 5/5s.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I didnt even read the poll title and thought we are selecting the "worst design", probably thats why most people selected the 6.

Probably not. When you go to the poll, the question The Best iPhone Design? pops up sharp and clear, even though it contradicts the title.

And yes, iPhone 6 design is the one I like from all iPhone designs.

machtv

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
i think the iphone6 is the best looking phone but looks aren't everything. it not the best iphone to use as far as holding it. the darn thing is like wet bar of soap. very difficult to text with 1 hand while driving. also to the point of impossible. but hey it sure does look nice.

Cavmclaren

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2014
Atlanta
yeah idk theres some valid points here...

Ive had every model except the reg 4 and reg 5. the 6 and 6 plus are very nice to me I have the plus and I dont mind the bands on the back (excluding the white bands on the gold model) or the protruding camera.

But I would have to go with the 5s for best design I feel like that was a perfect phone with the metal/glass back chamfered edges and touch id. the 4s could give it a run for its money though.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
i think the iphone6 is the best looking phone but looks aren't everything. it not the best iphone to use as far as holding it. the darn thing is like wet bar of soap. very difficult to text with 1 hand while driving. also to the point of impossible. but hey it sure does look nice.

Difficult to text with one hand while driving. Yeah.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Personally, I disagree. The 6/6 plus looks awesome. IMO the iPhone didn't really start looking "sexy" until the 4. The original iPhone to the 3GS was pretty ugly IMO. The i5 series wasnt bad. In fact, the gold 5S was downright beautiful. The i6/6+ are great looking phones. The space gray looks the best IMO.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 59

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I think the gold 5S is the best looking iPhone overall. The 6/Plus looks amazing from the front. The way the curved screen blends into the metal back is just gorgeous. Probably the best looking phone I've ever seen. Again, from the front. The sides look good too, slim and premium.

Then you get to the back, with those ugly bands, and it just falls apart. It doesn't help that the space grey is far too light, lighter than the 5S or iPad Air (1), which makes it look disjointed with the black front. The silver looks okay in this configuration but IMO the gold really shines.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I totally don't get the dislike people have towards the bands. They reflect the design elements on the front. I see nothing wrong with them.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I totally don't get the dislike people have towards the bands. They reflect the design elements on the front. I see nothing wrong with them.

What design element do they reflect on the front? The bezels? On the space grey they're not even the same color as the bezels. At least with the white you could try to make that argument.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Personally, I disagree. The 6/6 plus looks awesome. IMO the iPhone didn't really start looking "sexy" until the 4. The original iPhone to the 3GS was pretty ugly IMO. The i5 series wasnt bad. In fact, the gold 5S was downright beautiful. The i6/6+ are great looking phones. The space gray looks the best IMO.

The front of the 6 plus is so nice, without a screen protector, I just love the way mine looks and feels in the hand, I dont know why but the rounded edge just give it such a nice feel.

But obviously the back just gets bad. The bands are terrible, no other apple product has them, and they are so thick, its an eye sore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.