Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Do not open the play store app to find this free gift.

Open the Google Movie/TV App (the red film strip icon)

Collect your free movie. It is the HD version too and is yours forever. Enjoy.

Love free stuff from Google. This only works with Nexus 5 owners (or those with root that change their build.prop file to spoof their phone into looking like a Nexus 5 to Google's servers.)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Got mine from HotUKDeals.

K8sBycp.png

Got a few free films now! :D

Attachments

• movies.png
    movies.png
    429.2 KB · Views: 91

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I need to get those onto my computer's HD and into iTunes somehow.

Can I download the mp4s of those free movies Google gives us? Where would I go to do this?

Only possible way to get the files would be via rooting. Not really worth it IMO since I can watch them via any iOS devices via the Google movie/tv app and just Airplay to the TV via ATV or Chromecast.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Only possible way to get the files would be via rooting. Not really worth it IMO since I can watch them via any iOS devices via the Google movie/tv app and just Airplay to the TV via ATV or Chromecast.

I suppose this is true. Would be nice to have control of the file itself though....

Ironic that I can take the file from any iTunes movie I buy and do what I want with it.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I suppose this is true. Would be nice to have control of the file itself though....

Ironic that I can take the file from any iTunes movie I buy and do what I want with it.

No drm coding on movies from iTunes? I can't believe Apple would allow me to download a movie, then allow me to just make copies and give it to whomever I want?

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

Thank you for this. I kept checking the play store app before and didn't understand why it wasn't showing up as free.

khha4113

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013

Love free stuff from Google. This only works with Nexus 5 owners (or those with root that change their build.prop file to spoof their phone into looking like a Nexus 5 to Google's servers.)
Got it! Thanks.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
No drm coding on movies from iTunes? I can't believe Apple would allow me to download a movie, then allow me to just make copies and give it to whomever I want?

I haven't noticed DRM coding on anything I've bought for quite a while.

Then again, I don't go making copies. But its easy enough to throw on a flash drive and play on a different device. I suppose its possible (since I use my own devices) that somehow the movie is being verified as being played back on a device linked to my iTunes account.....but it plays even pulling up in QuickTime....

At any rate, Google Movies works well enough. I'm just OCD about having things like movies in various places.....I like them all in one spot.

I dream of the day iTunes Match allows movies. I'd pay a pretty penny for that functionality.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I haven't noticed DRM coding on anything I've bought for quite a while.

Then again, I don't go making copies. But its easy enough to throw on a flash drive and play on a different device. I suppose its possible (since I use my own devices) that somehow the movie is being verified as being played back on a device linked to my iTunes account.....but it plays even pulling up in QuickTime....

At any rate, Google Movies works well enough. I'm just OCD about having things like movies in various places.....I like them all in one spot.

I dream of the day iTunes Match allows movies. I'd pay a pretty penny for that functionality.

Every iTunes movie I have definitely has DRM on it as I've tried to watch them on something other than an Apple device or iTunes and none have worked.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Hmm, oh well. I stand corrected.

If you've been able to get movies to play on a different device then maybe drm was removed recently. I haven't tried in a few months. I did a google search and all I saw was drm removal apps. I'll try it again when I get home.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
If you've been able to get movies to play on a different device then maybe drm was removed recently. I haven't tried in a few months. I did a google search and all I saw was drm removal apps. I'll try it again when I get home.

Save your time, they're all still protected by DRM. It's why I still buy blu ray and rip a digital copy to be used on all of our household's devices.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Save your time, they're all still protected by DRM. It's why I still buy blu ray and rip a digital copy to be used on all of our household's devices.

I am an all Apple household so....I guess because it didn't specifically say DRM-protected like the music used to, I didn't think it was there anymore.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Wouldn't they also be DRM?

Well, yes. From what I've read though, the ripping options for iTunes media offer less than stellar results (never tried them) and using the blu ray allows me to produce a much better quality digital version (higher bitrate, better audio) IMO, than the native iTunes versions. Plus, if I want the native blu ray experience by just playing the disk, I have that option as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.