Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMacAttack1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Has anyone had experience with this case? Last year's model for the Air comes highly rated from The Wirecutter (and they seem to really know their stuff!): http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-ipad-air-case/

The Air 2 case just became available and it looks to be in the same style: https://www.casecrown.com/tablets/ipad-air-2/casecrown-omni-case-for-apple-ipad-air-2 $30 with free shipping and returns from CaseCrown seems like a solid deal. I'm eying the blue and diggin' the twill pattern. Anyone else bought this for the 2 yet or use it for the original Air?

Edit: Would be amazing if they made this with the clear backing instead of the black, but I digress. A man can dream!

ruyehara47

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
I just got my blue iPad Air 2 omni case in the mail today. I also read all the reviews including the wirecutter one. Now I just need to wait for my ipad to arrive to test it out.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I just got my blue iPad Air 2 omni case in the mail today. I also read all the reviews including the wirecutter one. Now I just need to wait for my ipad to arrive to test it out.

When holding the smart cover open and against the back of the case does it have magnets to where it sticks?

Hmm wait a minute you'd probably need the iPad for that lol

wooger

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
When holding the smart cover open and against the back of the case does it have magnets to where it sticks?

No, the magnet would have to be on the back of the case, there's nothing on the iPad for it to attach to.

BigMacAttack1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Bellingham, WA

Nice-that's the one I'm eyeing! Let me know know what you think after you get your iPad!

soulsteelgray

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Here's a few quick pictures of my iPad Air 2 in the CaseCrown Omni. I like what it offers for the price, and it doesn't sound much different than the iPad Air version (as reviewed by The Wirecutter, of course). Not much has changed other than the case needing to accomodate the changed volume buttons and a slightly thinner iPad.

(I apologize for the horrible lighting. Fluroescent lighting in an office is the worst.)

It doesn't. You can fold the cover over on itself to make the cover smaller just like on the iPad Air version but that's about it.

iPad-air-casecrown-rear.jpg

Attachments

• Photo Oct 31, 11 17 45 AM.jpg
    Photo Oct 31, 11 17 45 AM.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 250
  • Photo Oct 31, 11 18 02 AM.jpg
    Photo Oct 31, 11 18 02 AM.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 284
  • Photo Oct 31, 11 18 26 AM.jpg
    Photo Oct 31, 11 18 26 AM.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 225
  • Photo Oct 31, 11 19 00 AM.jpg
    Photo Oct 31, 11 19 00 AM.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 239
  • Photo Oct 31, 11 19 14 AM.jpg
    Photo Oct 31, 11 19 14 AM.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 237

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Here's a few quick pictures of my iPad Air 2 in the CaseCrown Omni. I like what it offers for the price, and it doesn't sound much different than the iPad Air version (as reviewed by The Wirecutter, of course). Not much has changed other than the case needing to accomodate the changed volume buttons and a slightly thinner iPad.

(I apologize for the horrible lighting. Fluroescent lighting in an office is the worst.)

Can the cover be sliced off so the back can be used with the Apple Smart Cover?

BJ

soulsteelgray

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Can the cover be sliced off so the back can be used with the Apple Smart Cover?

BJ

It doesn't look like there's anything stopping you from trying it but I don't have a Smart Cover on hand to see how it compares to the Omni's built-in cover.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
It looks like a great case but I'm worried that the plastic interior might cause scratches if it catches lint etc. I looked at some YouTube videos of the original iPad Air Omni case which shows it - I assume the iPad Air 2 case has the same interior?

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010

It doesn't. You can fold the cover over on itself to make the cover smaller just like on the iPad Air version but that's about it.

Not bad wish it had magnets that stuck it to the back though.

Retyna

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
Is it possible to easily snap the iPad to the case and off? Because I don't like using iPad with the cover, the only purpose of the cover is to cover, not hang around while using the device.

Thanks,

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Is it possible to easily snap the iPad to the case and off? Because I don't like using iPad with the cover, the only purpose of the cover is to cover, not hang around while using the device.

Thanks,

No, not this type of polystyrene back shell. If you put it on/off too many times it'll wear it out and cracks will develop quickly.

What you want is a back shell that allows you to remove the Smart Cover by the magnets and there are a few on the market now but they are all clear or frosted TPU.

Look for the Khomo thread and you'll see how some of us are successfully tearing off the attached cover and using what's left as the perfect back shell (for now).

BJ

jimplus

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
Has anyone had experience with this case? Last year's model for the Air comes highly rated from The Wirecutter (and they seem to really know their stuff!): http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-ipad-air-case/

The Air 2 case just became available and it looks to be in the same style: https://www.casecrown.com/tablets/ipad-air-2/casecrown-omni-case-for-apple-ipad-air-2 $30 with free shipping and returns from CaseCrown seems like a solid deal. I'm eying the blue and diggin' the twill pattern. Anyone else bought this for the 2 yet or use it for the original Air?

Edit: Would be amazing if they made this with the clear backing instead of the black, but I digress. A man can dream!
$30?? too expensive! this cover is not worth so much money, last week I bought one ultra thin multi-fold magnetic smart cover with only $11.95 (free shipping):cool: . here is the link of my cover: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Luxu...Cover-Flip-Case-for-iPad-Air/32214248755.html

Retyna

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
No, not this type of polystyrene back shell. If you put it on/off too many times it'll wear it out and cracks will develop quickly.

What you want is a back shell that allows you to remove the Smart Cover by the magnets and there are a few on the market now but they are all clear or frosted TPU.

Look for the Khomo thread and you'll see how some of us are successfully tearing off the attached cover and using what's left as the perfect back shell (for now).

BJ

Thank you for the advice, I will look for Khomos offering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.